Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've been at crossed topics.

My talk about the ruck being a huge issue was that we needed Conway to replace Stanley this year, and that we simply needed a cheap backup option for next year.

Not that we should prioritise recruiting Gawn and Darcy over Smith and Perkins.'

I'm sort of chuckling right now realising this is what people thought I meant.
Yeah I just don't think any cheap back up option is materially better than rucking what we have

I used to be the same until our experiment with Isaac Smith.
2 great years without sacrificing any draft collateral sounds better the more i look back at the Isaac Smith acquisition.

Very different list positions now. We had an elite group from 27-30 when we got him and he was part of one final push for the flag. Our older players aren't elite any more. They're somewhere between decent and cooked.

It's time to develop and build around the under 29s. Fast track the development of Clark, O'Sullivan, Mullin, Conway, Bruhn, etc. If we do it right the rebound can be pretty quick but bringing in Yeo won't push us back into contention and we probably won't be good enough while he's still a gun to compete.

But why would getting a cheap back up ruck stop us getting a mid, which is what you said in the previous post?
List spots. You can have tether too many or too few rucks and if we already have a set ruck development strategy then Max out the spots available with the part of the ground that's the problem

List spots. You can have tether too many or too few rucks and if we already have a set ruck development strategy then Max out the spots available with the part of the ground that's the problem
Yikes. So you reckon if we draft one back up ruck to replace Stanley, along with retirements and delistings, we won't have a single spot to recruit the mids talked about in this thread?

Then if Conway does an ACL we are rucking Neale/Furphy/Edwards all year.

I'd probably get the cheap back up ruck and a decent mid.

I'd prefer to get Kuol Mun than a cheap mature backup ruck.

If we're looking for depth Rory Lobb is probably the best option. Gives us cover both as key forward and ruck and would cost nothing if we took on most of his contract. Not sure he'd be happy to move without being a key part of a team's plans going forward though.

Yikes. So you reckon if we draft one back up ruck to replace Stanley, along with retirements and delistings, we won't have a single spot to recruit the mids talked about in this thread?

Then if Conway does an ACL we are rucking Neale/Furphy/Edwards all year.

I'd probably get the cheap back up ruck and a decent mid.
Blitz/Neale/SDK/Furphy. Look it's a minor point anyway. For me to want to add more we'd have had to run out of draft able options

Blitz/Neale/SDK/Furphy. Look it's a minor point anyway. For me to want to add more we'd have had to run out of draft able options
SDK I wouldn't move from defence. Neale will only ever be a second ruck option. Blics looks cooked and Furphy won't be competitive.

What you are suggesting is actually all in on Conway. Which would be fine but injuries happen. It would be neglectful not to get a back up. But agree it's not as exciting of a topic as recruiting our next Dangerfield.

The reaction to a embarrassing loss is always harsh.

The facts are GC are on a path to do that to many other teams over the next few years… they have talent to burn and now should be on a path to put it together. Imo we have to just focus on what we knew and what we know. Tas are coming in a few years so ..we need to have our list with a good age profile by 2027 to cover the years when they will suck dry the draft for two or three years. I dont think we we in a bad way at all. Demp and MaxH are good young types ..we just need more.

Hawkins is about to tip over… and we do not have an obvious replacement. Neale may or may work..but either way Hawk going means we need to to replace his spot. Any drafted kid will be years away. Do we cover his spot for now with a mature FA type… or just draft and kid and develop/hope he is good enough?

Stanley to is about to tip over but at least we do have some obvious replacements. Not exactly ready but ready enough for afl. Stanley going means we need to replace his spot. Considering our other needs ..is there any advanatge to chasing a big name? I dont think so. So ..do we cheap trade in someone look for a chance like the Ess ruck ..or do we draft another one to develop and just suck up a bit of short term pain while we get conway to 50 games?

Then we have Danger and others. Compared to several teams we have a bare group of hopeful young mids. Some will work some will fall short. Pretty obvious that we just need to add as much quality as we can. Be great to drop in a high end kid …this years potential number 1 is 194cm mid. Will not happen but we might be able to drop in a ready to play… and maybe another Bruhn type who has done his first years and is ready to play.

I dont see any over reactionary changes at years end. We will stick to what ever plan they have and it will depend on who agrees to come to us… just like Bruhn basically happened cause we missed out on Hopper.

List management wise we've been focused on getting the most of a old group that we've reinforced and kept in the game longer then anyone would have thought possible.

We stared at the edge of the cliff for a while. We dodged it until 2023 hit.
We didn't load up for 2024, we're just using what we had on hand the year before, with an easier fixture and longer pre-season to offset additional deterioration.

Hawkins is cooked
Stanley is cooked
Danger can't stay on the field

Pre-season I thought if Chris Scott could pull a midfield rotation out of his butt we'd go alright.

We have the worst ruck division on the competition, we quite possible have the least talented inside midfield rotation in the competition. Our opposition is cluing on to this.

On the outside we have good users of the ball on, unfortunately our vets who flesh out this large group are out of gas and can't run. Which hurts since we need to play a running game to actually score.

Duncan
Tuohy
Guthrie looks that way too except we're still trying for force him into the middle.

7-0 start shows that we weren't wrong for still chasing the now. If there is a chance you have to go for it.

Danger and Hawkins are still on the list but it isn't their era anymore.

We have to make a decision on the direction for the list build. For next year are 32 year old Stewart and Cameron something you spend big around to still maximise next year. We'd need to buy too much, the market isn't that liquid.

I think we're going to have to look further ahead for a longer build.

In three years from now the core of the team

KPF
Ruck
Inside mids

Won't resemble what we have now. we'll be forced to go young to get the talent in

SDK I wouldn't move from defence. Neale will only ever be a second ruck option. Blics looks cooked and Furphy won't be competitive.

What you are suggesting is actually all in on Conway. Which would be fine but injuries happen. It would be neglectful not to get a back up. But agree it's not as exciting of a topic as recruiting our next Dangerfield.
Yeah I guess a cheap ruck would be fine. It's more about pressure on positions though as we wouldn't be getting a great mid at that point.

List management wise we've been focused on getting the most of a old group that we've reinforced and kept in the game longer then anyone would have thought possible.

We didn't load up for 2024, we're just using what we had on hand the year before, with an easier fixture and longer pre-season to offset additional deterioration.

Hawkins is cooked
Stanley is cooked

Pre-season I thought if Chris Scott could pull a midfield rotation out of his butt we'd go alright.

We have the worst ruck division on the competition, we quite possible have the least talented inside midfield rotation in the competition. Our opposition is cluing on to this.

On the outside we have good users of the ball on, unfortunately our vets who flesh out this large group are out of gas and can't run. Which hurts since we need to play a running game to actually score.

Duncan
Tuohy
Guthrie looks that way too except we're still trying for force him into the middle.

7-0 start shows that we weren't wrong for still chasing the now. If there is a chance you have to go for it.

We have to make a decision on the direction for the list build. For next year are 32 year old Stewart and Cameron something you spend big around to still maximise next year. We'd need to buy too much, the market isn't that liquid.

KPF
Ruck
Inside mids

Won't resemble what we have now. we'll be forced to go young to get the talent in
I think we need to solve one problem at a time. Inside mids is the issue that has the potential solutions

I think that the reality will hit that we won't be buying our next Dangerfield, we'll be drafting him. It might take a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins is cooked
Stanley is cooked

Duncan
Tuohy

KPF
Ruck
Inside mids

Interesting. On the last sentence. Are you saying …go young …to drop ..and get picks?

The next couple of weeks will to some degree set our course for this year. IF GWS beat us at home then one may as well start sorting the cards, how many you want to keep and how many you want from the dealer.

But I doubt we will be reactionary. Maybe we sway a bit more towards youth on field…but our list has ben heading that way since Hocking came back.

I'd prefer to get Kuol Mun than a cheap mature backup ruck.

If we're looking for depth Rory Lobb is probably the best option. Gives us cover both as key forward and ruck and would cost nothing if we took on most of his contract. Not sure he'd be happy to move without being a key part of a team's plans going forward though.
He is as green as Kermit but Ajang has something. If we had a spot to draft him in then MSD then maybe we consider it… Pike and the Falcons kid would be two others that might appeal. We dont have a spot so we just have to wait till years end.

One would think Lobb would appeal to Melb or Pies. Both probably present as offering a regular successful spot.

Interesting. On the last sentence. Are you saying …go young …to drop ..and get picks?

The next couple of weeks will to some degree set our course for this year. IF GWS beat us at home then one may as well start sorting the cards, how many you want to keep and how many you want from the dealer.

But I doubt we will be reactionary. Maybe we sway a bit more towards youth on field…but our list has ben heading that way since Hocking came back.

Won't be much of a choice, good players don't want to go to clubs with limited prospects. Our older guys will retire.
Our mature core aren't good enough to go man to man against their contemporaries.
There is a tier of player VFL+ standard, we have quite a few of them in their mid 20s.

Last edited:
Won't be much of a choice, good players don't want to go to clubs with limited prospects. Our older guys will retire.
Our mature core aren't good enough to go man to man against their contemporaries.
There is a tier of player VFL+ standard, we have quite a few of them in their mid 20s.
Well the first line is key. If the group of high end fa’s/ trades that we have been linked to decide to side step us … then maybe we have to play what we have.

Hawkins is cooked
Stanley is cooked

Duncan
Tuohy

KPF
Ruck
Inside mids

You've got to credit the club for knowing where we're at. Going all in after 2020 was a genius move that won us a flag.

They could've been sucked in to going big again since then but knew the time was likely passed. So we walked away from Hopper when the price got too much and focused on young talent.

It'll take time but clearly our young talent is miles ahead of anything we've had in a long time. Fast forward 2-3 years and things will look alright. Just need to develop that group and try to find a bit more quality anywhere we can.

KPF
Ruck
Inside mids

Disagree with this. It'll be mainly the young players on the list currently developing into those roles. Not so sure about key forwards but the midfield and ruck look basically sorted to me they just need development.

You've got to credit the club for knowing where we're at. Going all in after 2020 was a genius move that won us a flag.

They could've been sucked in to going big again since then but knew the time was likely passed. So we walked away from Hopper when the price got too much and focused on young talent.

It'll take time but clearly our young talent is miles ahead of anything we've had in a long time. Fast forward 2-3 years and things will look alright. Just need to develop that group and try to find a bit more quality anywhere we can.

Yes.

And there is a random exponential … there is no way to predict the rough diamonds like Dempsey in a rebuild

Mean he would slip a bit I think. Maybe enough to get to us now. Which after the last 3 weeks seems more likely regardless of him having done an ACL.

One would have to consider him..even trying to do a Holmes…. if we look like we may drop some fish might bite.

If we really feel like its mids we lack..then we should be trying to add picks this year. I have said my position ..is id be happy just to go to draft but if we could look at the Suns or Brisbane. Anyway to get an extra R1.

Sort of in sideline. Did we miss one with Chlosey? The kid going to GC with all that talent and still gets in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back