Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Money comes from many different avenues these days.
Don't worry about the footballing cash here.
Will earn more outside of it.
People are gonna lose their s**t once Bailey Smith is appointed 'Cotton On ambassador' of the GFC aren't they.

Last edited:

Ok Ok here it is.
I don't usually get too involved in whispers and such unless i have something of substance.
I can't devuldge all my sources.
But one today all but confirmed that Western Bulldog Bailey SMITH will be playing in the hoops in 2025.
He has given me pretty good intel over the past decade so i'm happy to post it.
Cheers Boys!!
I don't see you ever post anything like this before, so I hope your on the money with this one...

I am a bit with u there Turbo.
Wasn't fussed either way we went.
Just heard (and have heard it again) that the powers in the coaches box along with list management viewed him as a priority and that the powerbrokers will facilitate it all.
The bloke who told me is more involved in the latter.
Gonna sit back and watch it play out.
One of his biggest sponsors is Cotton On... And we all know Cotton On links with the club, so you think that's going thats going to help Geelong position as well..

They're going to at least demand a haircut I reckon.
Bit of a paradox though isn't it?

Does he lose all marketing potential/Cotton On $$$ if he cuts the mullet?

He'd just become another reasonably handsome 20 something year old...of which the AFL has plenty.

The mullet is a must, and they'll be after Sam Draper next. Appointing him 'Spokesperson of foreign affairs'

What could go wrong?

With the money hawthorn are throwing at him he would be leaving a lot on the table to come here.
But i know we are keen.
The guy has 837 endorsement deals so I reckon he will just choose to play whenever he feels he will get the most enjoyment (on field and off field).

He is making bank no matter what.

Thats a good point ..and it would be a hint that he is looking for more than just a full pocket.

Yeah look we wont pay him badly but i know from a good source hawks are willing to go over 1mil a year and will do 6 or 7 years if needed (think a hopper deal but more so) and we might offer say only 4 years at 850pa so he will be leaving a fair bit of cash on the table if he comes. But that said he makes more from endorsement deals than most players so he might not care about the contract $ as much as some people.

The guy has 837 endorsement deals so I reckon he will just choose to play whenever he feels he will get the most enjoyment (on field and off field).

He is making bank no matter what.

See my other post and i agree because of his endorsement deals hes wealthy either way.
But if we offer say 4 x 900 (3.6mil) and hawks offer 1.1 x6 (6.6mil) its still 3mil hes forgoing over the deal..
But i do know we are chasing him hard (which im nervous about but the club knows what its doing).

Hopper was a "locked in" player too so I'll wait till its a done deal before being totally confident that the line has been crossed.

To be fair hoppers manager had told us he was coming and he was-until richmond offered him 7 yrs and he changed his mind as we were only offering 5. Thats why henry was forced to wait until late.
Melb and Adelaide?

I think melb for lobb is logical-they are in the window and have 1-2 years of peak gawn left and no other ruck help-they would risk him.
Or maybe ross given he has coached him before (but i dont think saints are in the window).

Daniel im not sure-adel dont seem an obvious fit and port definitely arent. Not sure where but he will ask for a trade if he keeps staying in the vfl.

Yes Hawthorn has some coin to dish out, but we won't be short in having some money to spend as well...

We will have the cap space to match a hawks offer no doubt but its just offering huge contracts isnt our go (if it was we would have matched richmonds 7 years as we wanted hopper). I cant see us offering him what hawks will though we can.

See my other post and i agree because of his endorsement deals hes wealthy either way.
But if we offer say 4 x 900 (3.6mil) and hawks offer 1.1 x6 (6.6mil) its still 3mil hes forgoing over the deal..
But i do know we are chasing him hard (which im nervous about but the club knows what its doing).
While true, that'll balance out a bit more by the end.

It looks like a big discrepancy, but if you consider Bailey will be 28 by the end of your proposed deal for us, there's still every chance we offer him 2-4 years again at 700kpa or something along those lines (Similar to what we did with Guth in 2021)

He's young enough that this won't be his last deal, so the carrot of 6-7 years isn't what it could be to a 26-27 year old.

They're going to be holding on for dear life by the end of the deal and still getting paid ridiculous cash, so it can make sense in that situation...but less so here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, because in that case he'd need to work an extra two more years to make that $$$.

It's not a same/same comparison.

Not really, because in that case he'd need to work an extra two more years to make that $$$.

It's not a same/same comparison.

the point is with the hawks offer he locks in security though. With ours he doesnt know what if anything we will offer him after 2028.

the point is with the hawks offer he locks in security though. With ours he doesnt know what if anything we will offer him after 2028.
Yeah true... I guess he is forgoing $$$ but he has the chance to potentially recoup a good amount of it.

JUH probably just passed up on locking in 10 mill to just sign for two more years at the Dogs, but I doubt that decision will end up costing him 10 mill.

Smith is completely stacked with money... he won't be losing sleep over it any time soon.

Getting to a club he wants to be at would be more important to him IMO.

Even if it's another club and not us, I don't think $$$ will be his motivating factor.

He will have to weigh up all the pros and cons and make a call on a club if he chooses to leave the Dogs (surely he does).

Bailey Smith. Doesn't defend, poor kick, perfect player to add. With that burst of speed and power he is everything our current crop of mids isn't and can't be trained to do, and our current kids strengths balance his deficiencies perfectly.

There's risk. If he comes back with Jaeger O'Meara knees then it's a failed trade. His poor form over the last couple of years I put down to him being played on a wing where his deficiencies are amplified and sharing contested situations with other contested mids he's supposed to defend for.

The knee could fail the trade, but, the knee also drops the value. I would be more than happy to flush our first and a 4 year contract at decent money on the risk.

As for whether he's coming, I don't want to disrespect anyone claiming inside info but there are two other boards claiming inside info that contradicts.

Bailey Smith. Doesn't defend, poor kick, perfect player to add. With that burst of speed and power he is everything our current crop of mids isn't and can't be trained to do, and our current kids strengths balance his deficiencies perfectly.

There's risk. If he comes back with Jaeger O'Meara knees then it's a failed trade. His poor form over the last couple of years I put down to him being played on a wing where his deficiencies are amplified and sharing contested situations with other contested mids he's supposed to defend for.

The knee could fail the trade, but, the knee also drops the value. I would be more than happy to flush our first and a 4 year contract at decent money on the risk.

As for whether he's coming, I don't want to disrespect anyone claiming inside info but there are two other boards claiming inside info that contradicts.
Good points.

Difference with Jaeger though is it was 2 years out, with a patella tendon and ended up with bone on bone bruising too IIRC.

Basically, the attributes that made him look like the next Chris Judd (speed, acceleration, & endurance) were gone.

He just became a once paced mid with okay footskills who needed to be played in bursts to be able to play back-to-back weeks. Not a bad player, but a B-grader at best.

I'm no doctor, but my guess would be 1 year out with an ACL wouldn't restrict Bailey to the same level that Jaeger had with his issues.

Players are coming back from them better than ever these days, where as Jaegers injuries would still be considered career virtually over if it happened today.

It was a stupid move by Hawthorn then, and it was a stupid move now.

It was more akin to thinking Menzel would be same player post 3-4 ACLs than the issues surrounding Bailey IMO.

Good points.

Difference with Jaeger though is it was 2 years out, with a patella tendon and ended up with bone on bone bruising too IIRC.

Basically, the attributes that made him look like the next Chris Judd (speed, acceleration, & endurance) were gone.

He just became a once paced mid with okay footskills who needed to be played in bursts to be able to play back-to-back weeks. Not a bad player, but a B-grader at best.

I'm no doctor, but my guess would be 1 year out with an ACL wouldn't restrict Bailey to the same level that Jaeger had with his issues.

Players are coming back from them better than ever these days, where as Jaegers injuries would still be considered a career threatening if it happened today.
Yeah I was just throwing out a clusterf*** as a reference point but the risk of him losing the attributes that make him make sense is non-zero

Last edited:

Thats the guts of it. Not every move will be a win..just like every draft pick. Its more like the Rocky line about ..keep moving forward. 4 year contract , reasonable money .. sort of an easy yes if we finish in the 8.

To be fair hoppers manager had told us he was coming and he was-until richmond offered him 7 yrs and he changed his mind as we were only offering 5. Thats why henry was forced to wait until late.

I think melb for lobb is logical-they are in the window and have 1-2 years of peak gawn left and no other ruck help-they would risk him.
Or maybe ross given he has coached him before (but i dont think saints are in the window).

Daniel im not sure-adel dont seem an obvious fit and port definitely arent. Not sure where but he will ask for a trade if he keeps staying in the vfl.

We will have the cap space to match a hawks offer no doubt but its just offering huge contracts isnt our go (if it was we would have matched richmonds 7 years as we wanted hopper). I cant see us offering him what hawks will though we can.

They lose Smith, Daniel, Lobb. Interesting times for the Dogs. They could do a mini reset. They are loaded for talls and have no R1 pick and there would be a few in a midfield draft that would appeal. Id be keeping an eye on the kid Croft (probably not this year)...they cant all fit.

I’m genuinely not sure where to land on Smith. Two poor years plus an ACL. But, explosive pace.

So we move him into a Dangerfield type role surrounded by very very good defensive mids? Seems to work.

If it’s a choice between playing for Bevo, Sam Mitchell or Chris Scott then we win that by a mile. I don’t think money will be a driver.

From our side, I’d demand a haircut. Too many players losing headbands for my liking. While I’m at it, cut those sideburns too!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m genuinely not sure where to land on Smith. Two poor years plus an ACL. But, explosive pace.

So we move him into a Dangerfield type role surrounded by very very good defensive mids? Seems to work.

If it’s a choice between playing for Bevo, Sam Mitchell or Chris Scott then we win that by a mile. I don’t think money will be a driver.

From our side, I’d demand a haircut. Too many players losing headbands for my liking. While I’m at it, cut those sideburns too!
This year is a write-off due to his ACL, but I don't think you can say it was poor, he just never had a chance to get on the ground.

Last year his form was down on previous years for sure but still not terrible.

Bevo moved him into the forward half of the ground and I guess "if" we landed him, he would move back into the middle and hopefully get back somewhere near his best.

It can take some time to get back to top form after an ACL but it's possible.

It's obviously a risk and a bit of an unknown how someone will come back from an ACL, but we'd just have to trust our club to make the correct call... plus a bit of luck wouldn't hurt.

I don't think he's played 2 poor seasons of footy back-to-back though, and if he did put in 2 years of poor footy back-to-back, I wouldn't be overly keen on him.

But I do understand you and others not being sure on Smith... nobody can be certain... In the end, if the trade cost is reasonable I think it's probably a risk worth taking.

Time will tell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bailey Smith's "Barry" drink, which he launched with the Daicos boys, Charlie Curnow and Broncos star Reece Walsh is made in Geelong too.

So if I'm right, there's another connection to the area for him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think the one thing he doesn't have is sideburns.

Mullets do not require headbands either. They must roam free

Remove this Banner Ad

Back