Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

Not sure I can endure a full year of opposition fans lecturing us about how player movement works.
Happens every year , they will melt and whine but in the end they will move on ….WCE years was hilarious with the amount of salt they provided across the forum

In regards to TDK’s trade worth... what a player is worth and what you get for said player doesn’t have to be on par.

It all comes down to what the club trading out the player is willing to risk losing for not making a trade to the players chosen club.

Example...

Swans offer 2x first rounders for TDK.

Sure they’d love to take that deal but TDK has selected Geelong and Geelong is offering their R1 only.

Carlton can say “Swans are offering 2x R1s so that’s what he is worth so pay that” as much as they want.

In the end is Carlton willing to lose the player and not get an R1 from Geelong for not taking the deal? Come trade week we all know a club would not do that for a player that has not been elite for them and a player that cost them a pick 40ish.

They can much easier risk it if a club is offering a worse deal than an R1 or they have nothing to trade.

All comes down to what the club is will to lose for nothing.

In the end if TDK selects Geelong, he will be with us.

And it’s crazy that being just OOC and not an RFA makes it easier for us to get him because Carlton can’t match and need to take a deal.

Sure we wouldn’t get him for nothing as an RFA but we just don’t seem to get the high profile RFAs for free anyway (but that’s just us).

Just seems weird that a player can be out of contract after say 2 years and have more power to move than a player that is out of contract after 10 years and is an RFA and not FA.

Something is not right with that I think.

Last edited:
In regards to TDK’s trade worth... what a player is worth and what you get for said player doesn’t have to be on par.

It all comes down to what the club trading out the player is willing to risk losing for not making a trade to the players chosen club.

Example...

Swans offer 2x first rounders for TDK.

Sure they’d love to take that deal but TDK has selected Geelong and Geelong is offering their R1 only.

Carlton can say “Swans are offering 2x R1s so that’s what he is worth so pay that” as much as they want.

In the end is Carlton willing to lose the player and not get an R1 from Geelong for not taking the deal? Come trade week we all know a club would not do that for a player that has not been elite for them and a player that cost them a pick 40ish.

They can much easier risk it if a club is offering a worse deal than an R1 or they have nothing to trade.

All comes down to what the club is will to lose for nothing.

In the end if TDK selects Geelong, he will be with us.

And it’s crazy that being just OOC and not an RFA makes it easier for us to get him because Carlton can’t match and need to take a deal.

Sure we wouldn’t get him for nothing as an RFA but we just don’t seem to get the high profile RFAs for free anyway (but that’s just us).

Just seems weird that a player can be out of contract after say 2 years and have more power to move than a player that is out of contract after 10 years and is an RFA and not FA.

Something is not right with that I think.
They need to scrap RFA and just make it FA. Once a players has played that many years be it 8-10 or whatever is deemed correct they can just walk to who ever when ever. Also once a FA always a FA.

No footywire hasnt updated. Close and atkins were permanently elevated in nov (which is why we only took 2 NDpicks).

Our cat a rookies are dempsey riccardi murdoch plus we left one slot open for mid season draft
Cat b rookies are mullin and clohesy.

Thanks for that Pure_Ownage

They sign Coniglio on 1.2m per year and eventually lose Jez .... maybe. Hard to know but it could be. I doubt he would be unhappy with that move now.

It made me wonder of the point in 2010 ...when were were trying to keep GAjr... if we had kept him by paying him big dollars ...who would we have lost ... and what would it have done to the club...

Maybe sometimes a club just has to open the door and wish them all the best..

They sign Coniglio on 1.2m per year and eventually lose Jez .... maybe. Hard to know but it could be. I doubt he would be unhappy with that move now.

It made me wonder of the point in 2010 ...when were were trying to keep GAjr... if we had kept him by paying him big dollars ...who would we have lost ... and what would it have done to the club...

The thing I've often pondered about 2009/2010 is if we knew for certain in 2009 that Ablett would definitely move on to GC following 2010, would we have upped our offer to Mumford & in turn potential not lose him to Sydney - the knowledge that we may not be able to up the offer for 2010 but we could for subsequent seasons

But if in 2009 we keep Mumford, do we then still find a way to draft Duncan - not sure if he's still available at pick 40 which was our next selection after we took him, or do we pick him rather than Menzel at pick 17

This article is factually incorrect on a few fronts. It's speculation dressed up as "facts" just to whip up a bit of a story - classic work again by that same journalist who has "form". And it's Dave Matthews having his normal sook (as he tends to do) when things don't go their way.

Cameron would not have stayed at GWS regardless. His decision to return closer to home / family and settle in country Vic prior to having kids was telegraphed a few years out to people close to him. GWS players pretty much knew he had intended to return at the end of that last contract with GWS and the fact that the deal happened late on the final trade night was just posturing by GWS, and the need from the AFL for a bit of theatre surrounding one of the games star players. Not sure if the full story has come out but when it does, I think you'll get confirmation that whilst Stevie J was working at GWS, I think he might also have helped broker a deal in the end and played a role in helping convince GSW management that they needed to be seen to support Cameron's wishes. Not just because he'd given good service to GWS, but because it would turn other players, in future, off going to a club that holds it's players to ransom.

The thing I've often pondered about 2009/2010 is if we knew for certain in 2009 that Ablett would definitely move on to GC following 2010, would we have upped our offer to Mumford & in turn potential not lose him to Sydney - the knowledge that we may not be able to up the offer for 2010 but we could for subsequent seasons

But if in 2009 we keep Mumford, do we then still find a way to draft Duncan - not sure if he's still available at pick 40 which was our next selection after we took him, or do we pick him rather than Menzel at pick 17

sliding doors..

This article is factually incorrect on a few fronts. It's speculation dressed up as "facts" just to whip up a bit of a story - classic work again by that same journalist who has "form". And it's Dave Matthews having his normal sook (as he tends to do) when things don't go their way.

Cameron would not have stayed at GWS regardless. His decision to return closer to home / family and settle in country Vic prior to having kids was telegraphed a few years out to people close to him. GWS players pretty much knew he had intended to return at the end of that last contract with GWS and the fact that the deal happened late on the final trade night was just posturing by GWS, and the need from the AFL for a bit of theatre surrounding one of the games star players. Not sure if the full story has come out but when it does, I think you'll get confirmation that whilst Stevie J was working at GWS, I think he might also have helped broker a deal in the end and played a role in helping convince GSW management that they needed to be seen to support Cameron's wishes. Not just because he'd given good service to GWS, but because it would turn other players, in future, off going to a club that holds it's players to ransom.

Sure maybe. Hard to know. unless one was in the room. It has been said that the deal went that late some thought it did not get thru ..so if SJ convinced them to play ball I'm not sure when that was ..late ? Days before? Might have been embarrassing if it had not been done before the deadline

Cameron has said he was still not sure about moving late... but that might be just lip service.

They way they blocked his FA move gave little thought to his mental comfort ...especially for a player who had been at the club for ten years .. who should really have been a UFA.

He’ll be at Geelong next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like your confidence and would be happy to see you be proven correct... it does seem that he is going to be this years hot property.

Last week Swans... now Stkilda with SOS there.

Id like to think we would offer other attractions than just money. Location . Brother. Quality of club ..

One thing is for sure. It seem Tom Dek .. he is going to be the ongoing story of the year ...unless he signs at Carlton.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your confidence and would be happy to see you be proven correct... it does seem that he is going to be this years hot property.

Last week Swans... now Stkilda with SOS there.

Id like to think we would offer other attractions than just money. Location . Brother. Quality of club ..

One thing is for sure. It seem Tom Dek .. he is going to be the ongoing story of the year ...unless he signs at Carlton.

If he wants the money, sounds like St Kilda would be the go.

If he wants a chance to win premierships, it's probably just Geelong or Sydney.

Perhaps the Kelly trade , and to some degree that Cameron trade gives some hope that a club can squeeze ...but Kelly coming off 2 B&F ru's. and Cameron CV ..says they had a bit more hand.

One does have to wonder... would he be happier if he had gone to Freo .
Surely he'd have to be right? I'm sure he'd love to have his time again with the benefit of hindsight.

TDK named first and only ruck for Carlton for R1 with the elite tap ruckman Pittonet named as an emergency.

Good signs for Tom’s progression I guess.
Looks like they are very aware that they need to play him to inflate his worth to potential suitors. Best thing for us would be for him to have a shocker of a season, get him across cheap and have him and come good next year

Sounds like Darcy Parish will be a topic all year too...

GO Catters

Surely he'd have to be right? I'm sure he'd love to have his time again with the benefit of hindsight.

one can only make the choice at what you want atpit. Did Buckley ever regret leaving Brisbane? What if Pies win 3 in the next ten years... would OH have regrets? So there is probably more to it than only one thing.. If I remember he had some animosity towards Freo but if WCoast stay near bottom for the rest of his career ... who knows.

unlikely ... RFA out of Essendon... thats gonna be 24 RD 1 picks surely

GO Catters
Depends how their year goes. They would be nuts not take a Band 1 comp imo.

The question is really ..which FA player would suit our list needs more. Doedee..Parish or someone else ... Lycett is not that much younger than Stanglar .. so probably not worth the effort

one can only make the choice at what you want atpit. Did Buckley ever regret leaving Brisbane? What if Pies win 3 in the next ten years... would OH have regrets? So there is probably more to it than only one thing.. If I remember he had some animosity towards Freo but if WCoast stay near bottom for the rest of his career ... who knows.

Depends how their year goes. They would be nuts not take a Band 1 comp imo.

The question is really ..which FA player would suit our list needs more. Doedee..Parish or someone else ... Lycett is not that much younger than Stanglar .. so probably not worth the effort

Ultimately we need a Dangerfield replacement and then a Guthrie replacement soon after. There isn't any Dangerfield replacement on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back