Rumour GFC 2019 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the Steven situation, Wells said something last week about how there’s different ways a trade can get done depending on who picks up the salary of the player. The message I took was we might pay a higher pick for less salary and vice versa (makes sense).

Now, in St Kilda’s shoes, what are their imperatives? Clear salary for incoming players and hoping for a pick they can use in the trades for Hill, Ryder, Jones, etc. They also want to give fans the impression they have got a fair deal on Steven. But also don’t want to look like arseholes for holding Steven when he wants to go.

Ultimately I suspect there’ll be a happy medium there somewhere but I’m glad we seem to be fine with letting it play out. Saints need this more than us. The risk in a trade is all Geelong’s.

I get the feeling atm..they would keep a fair chunk of his wage ..if they geta good pick.. they have more players wanting in than than they know what to do with ..and do not have the picks to get it done

And then in 2021 - Geelong losses all premiership points after being caught in breach of the salary cap

No way we could sign 2 RFA and especially not for the sort of money each would be after - would see at least one of GWS or Collingwood match our offer
If they match our offer (most likely Collingwood) it asks the question why they didnt in the first place. Offer both seven, both would have to offer 7 years and the money.. Offer inside our max and outbid them.

Theres not many. Nick Meese is the best ruck in the vfl but he doesnt have the athletic attributes for afl. I really like Goddard from the wafl but theres a question markas to whether hes tall enough to ruck at afl level he might be more a kpp who pinch hits in the ruck. Guys like Knoll Campbell etc i assume their clubs will hang onto.

On your other question this is the first year Nicholls has stayed fit hes been really injury prone before that. At least Pittonet is generally durable.

But good rucks this year are scarce...unless we can get Darcy in a Kelly trade we probably need to roll with what we have.

Goddard height ? I think he was a good height when he played in the champs as a kid..
Jeremy Goddard – Claremont (WAFL)
21yo, 202cm, 95kg
Played alongside Tim English in WA's under-18 team three years ago and had 68 hitouts from his opening two WAFL matches this season.

You sure you are not think about the player who just won the Smedal... Delahunty ? I think he is only KPP height.

Theres not many. Nick Meese is the best ruck in the vfl but he doesnt have the athletic attributes for afl. I really like Goddard from the wafl but theres a question markas to whether hes tall enough to ruck at afl level he might be more a kpp who pinch hits in the ruck. Guys like Knoll Campbell etc i assume their clubs will hang onto.

On your other question this is the first year Nicholls has stayed fit hes been really injury prone before that. At least Pittonet is generally durable.

But good rucks this year are scarce...unless we can get Darcy in a Kelly trade we probably need to roll with what we have.

I really cant stomach the thought of not adding a young ruck somewhere... but we do tend to look at older types.. What do you know about these guys.. Gault is a recycle ...

Rucks
Jack Blair – North Adelaide (SANFL)
26yo, 206cm, 108kg
Rugby convert who won a flag with AFL Sydney club UNSW-Eastern Bulldogs before training with the Swans leading up to last year's drafts.

Corey Gault – Swan Districts (WAFL)
26yo, 200cm, 100kg
Three years since he was last on Collingwood's AFL list, looms as a readymade forward/ruck option.

Michael Knoll – South Adelaide (SANFL)
25yo, 205m, 100kg
Crossed from Box Hill. Former basketballer who replaced Keegan Brooksby and Hayden McLean on South Adelaide's list.

How likely are any of these 2nd tier guy to be more AFL ready than Fort was. With any luck he'll get in another full pre-season. Going into a season with Stanley, Abbott and Fort feels extremely light, there is a decent chance we'd be down to Blicavs in the ruck before the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How likely are any of these 2nd tier guy to be more AFL ready than Fort was. With any luck he'll get in another full pre-season. Going into a season with Stanley, Abbott and Fort feels extremely light, there is a decent chance we'd be down to Blicavs in the ruck before the end of the year.
In truth . they are not going to be AFL ready.... at least if we get a Goddard he is 21.

It really gets back to the way the MC see the ruck position... if one assumes the like what Blitz does ..more than what Smith does... they really are more likely to draft someoen like Jackson ..and just add mobile talent...even if its a bit immature.. or do they see Sav as a ruck?

Im not sure why we have given Abbot more of a go.. he could at least thug it out against some rucks and it keeps Blitz down back..

Parfitt is contested ball and is too slow for the forward line, need to get him out this year
I think he's actually faster than he looks. He appears slower because he runs with a low center of gravity. Makes him hard to push off the ball and good contested player as you mentioned. He'll never be a gazelle but I don't think his speed is too much of a liability

Yeah but we had 4 rucks this year and we barely used 3 of them. Surely 3 plus Sav is enough. My theory is unless rucks are quality mature age or a youngster with potential why waste list spots on them.

I think he's actually faster than he looks. He appears slower because he runs with a low center of gravity. Makes him hard to push off the ball and good contested player as you mentioned. He'll never be a gazelle but I don't think his speed is too much of a liability
So True, he has ran down many a player too so mustn't be to slow.

I really cant stomach the thought of not adding a young ruck somewhere... but we do tend to look at older types.. What do you know about these guys.. Gault is a recycle ...

Rucks
Jack Blair – North Adelaide (SANFL)
26yo, 206cm, 108kg
Rugby convert who won a flag with AFL Sydney club UNSW-Eastern Bulldogs before training with the Swans leading up to last year's drafts.

Corey Gault – Swan Districts (WAFL)
26yo, 200cm, 100kg
Three years since he was last on Collingwood's AFL list, looms as a readymade forward/ruck option.

Michael Knoll – South Adelaide (SANFL)
25yo, 205m, 100kg
Crossed from Box Hill. Former basketballer who replaced Keegan Brooksby and Hayden McLean on South Adelaide's list.

Knoll went to Syd in the mid season draft. I never rated Gault at Collingwood and dont know. Dont know much about Blair.

In truth . they are not going to be AFL ready.... at least if we get a Goddard he is 21.

It really gets back to the way the MC see the ruck position... if one assumes the like what Blitz does ..more than what Smith does... they really are more likely to draft someoen like Jackson ..and just add mobile talent...even if its a bit immature.. or do they see Sav as a ruck?

Im not sure why we have given Abbot more of a go.. he could at least thug it out against some rucks and it keeps Blitz down back..

I don't think the MC has a particular philosophy even if it may seem like we've gone all in on the mobile ruckman. I think its about getting a win somewhere, With Smith you're expecting to lose around the ground and he might only break even in the taps, Abbott is in the same boat without breaking even in the ruck. I hope we don't see Sav anywhere near the ruck.

Yeah but we had 4 rucks this year and we barely used 3 of them. Surely 3 plus Sav is enough. My theory is unless rucks are quality mature age or a youngster with potential why waste list spots on them.

I feel like there are enough spots on the list to provide enough insurance for each position, why risk it. hell we even ran out of outside midfielders towards the end of this year.

I feel like there are enough spots on the list to provide enough insurance for each position, why risk it. hell we even ran out of outside midfielders towards the end of this year.

True i just feel we have too many D grade rucks and as a strategy i dont see the benefit of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back