Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only criticism is that we didn't push harder to get a KPF in when options were there while Watts is inconsistent and there clearly have to be other issues at play with Schache given how cheap he was, it is very hard to get quality key forwards outside the top 10.

I was also keen on Watts as I thought he would provide a second KPF option, meaning we could play Taylor back again (which we kind of have to anyway, as I assume he takes Lonergan's vacated role). But I read that Watts picked PA over us because they don't plan to use him as a focal point up forward, whereas we did. I thought that was telling - he clearly doesn't believe in his ability as a KPF (and MELB clearly don't either). So he's probably not the answer. We aren't going to find a KPF ready to go between now and rd.1, so I assume we use a smaller forward line, and/or lean on Dangerfield and Ablett sharing the duties. But yes, a second KPF is still a weak point for us.

On the whole I don't think out trade period was great but it was ok not terrible IMO.

We did well on the Ablett deal it would have been very easy given the external pressure Wells faced to get an Ablett back to overpay but he didn't and stuck to his guns when GC wanted top end players and get a good deal done. While I would rather have given pick 50 than pick 30-35 for a 33yo GC were never realistically going to accept that and ending up with 2 x 3rd rounders and 2 x 4th rounders next year will put us in a good position re F/S kids. Obviously his durability is a worry but he is a top 5 player in our team when fit.

While I would have liked to keep Lang he is fringe who I doubt will ever become an A grader and burn us, we did as well as we could have done given his contract status.

My only criticism is that we didn't push harder to get a KPF in when options were there while Watts is inconsistent and there clearly have to be other issues at play with Schache given how cheap he was, it is very hard to get quality key forwards outside the top 10. When the potential is there to get a good one I would much rather trade them in than draft them and that's just a philosophical position rather than a comment on the specific players.

I can see our lack of ability to move was constricted by the fact that a lot of our fringe players were contracted which makes it harder to find homes for them. The club is also fairly aware that if a) our F/S kids come on and b) the draft pool is good next year, given that and the quality FA pool we could be looking at up to 10 changes next year (like we did in 15 and to a lesser degree 16) the club would be aware of the need to hang onto a lot of the borderline players for another 12 months because we will need players to move on in 12 months. That and you don't really want to dump all your depth in a flag window.

We certainly have some deficiencies in the front half that we need to address in the draft but we do have a decent hand to do that with. I will be interested to see how we solve our key forward issue and whether we go for a more radical forward structure next year like Richmond did.

nice post PO; you've gotten to the nub of it.

Schache might have been an interesting addition; he's the only potential acquisition I was personally hoping the club might explore; like you said, it is hard to get a look-in with the KPF's without a top 10 selection - might've been a rare opportunity.

As to the make-up of the forward line, that will hinge on the fitness of Ablett, Cockatoo and McCarthy. Hopefully Parsons will come on a little more. You cite Richmond; I'm not %100 we need a 2nd tall forward at all; if we're able to alternate between 'resting' Dangerfield and Ablett in the F50 then Hawkins and a ruckman willing to push forward on occasion might be enough/preferable.

I dont think there are any decent key forwards out there but Taylor will have to play forward alot as Buzza is still developing and Lonergan is gone. Would really only leave Henderson and Gardiner Think they want to play Kolo up the ground and Stewart as a 3rd tall.
I hope I don’t see Taylor spending any major time forward again. He’s needed down back and won’t help forward. If the other pieces around him improve Buzza can play his role up forward.

I hope I don’t see Taylor spending any major time forward again. He’s needed down back and won’t help forward. If the other pieces around him improve Buzza can play his role up forward.
I think Buzza should be given a string of games next year, but we can't rely on him or view him as a regular yet. IMO 2018 is still a developmental year for him.

On the whole I don't think out trade period was great but it was ok not terrible IMO.

We did well on the Ablett deal it would have been very easy given the external pressure Wells faced to get an Ablett back to overpay but he didn't and stuck to his guns when GC wanted top end players and get a good deal done. While I would rather have given pick 50 than pick 30-35 for a 33yo GC were never realistically going to accept that and ending up with 2 x 3rd rounders and 2 x 4th rounders next year will put us in a good position re F/S kids. Obviously his durability is a worry but he is a top 5 player in our team when fit.

While I would have liked to keep Lang he is fringe who I doubt will ever become an A grader and burn us, we did as well as we could have done given his contract status.

My only criticism is that we didn't push harder to get a KPF in when options were there while Watts is inconsistent and there clearly have to be other issues at play with Schache given how cheap he was, it is very hard to get quality key forwards outside the top 10. When the potential is there to get a good one I would much rather trade them in than draft them and that's just a philosophical position rather than a comment on the specific players.

I can see our lack of ability to move was constricted by the fact that a lot of our fringe players were contracted which makes it harder to find homes for them. The club is also fairly aware that if a) our F/S kids come on and b) the draft pool is good next year, given that and the quality FA pool we could be looking at up to 10 changes next year (like we did in 15 and to a lesser degree 16) the club would be aware of the need to hang onto a lot of the borderline players for another 12 months because we will need players to move on in 12 months. That and you don't really want to dump all your depth in a flag window.

We certainly have some deficiencies in the front half that we need to address in the draft but we do have a decent hand to do that with. I will be interested to see how we solve our key forward issue and whether we go for a more radical forward structure next year like Richmond did.
The best way to solve it is by giving Buzza a full year at either FF or CHF. Nathan Ablett kicked 34 goals in 07 starting the season at 11 AFL games. Buzza has 6 and is the future. Plan B and C would be playing Stanley or Black in the role. I'd much rather get games into the kid Buzza. I feel next years trade period we'll target a replacement for Hawkins if we can't find any decent KPF in this years draft.

S Wells love(d) Troy Menzel- rated him as the pick of that draft.
Things have not transpired that way for Troy.
Hip scopes, LARS in his knee, questionable intensity.
Would he be worth a rookie listing? Could be an upgrade on Black, who I also rated fwiw.
Its a big no on Troy for me, too slow to have an impact as a small forward.

The best way to solve it is by giving Buzza a full year at either FF or CHF. Nathan Ablett kicked 34 goals in 07 starting the season at 11 AFL games. Buzza has 6 and is the future. Plan B and C would be playing Stanley or Black in the role. I'd much rather get games into the kid Buzza. I feel next years trade period we'll target a replacement for Hawkins if we can't find any decent KPF in this years draft.
Nathan Ablett had innate ability though. Buzza tbc

Hayes will go to GWS at 11 I reckon.

Wouldn't get past Richmond or Brisbane if GWS go small with Higgins at that pick either you would imagine.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miers is the Falcon I would take, don't see how we need Worpel and Ling is a bit meh for mine, quick and uses the ball well but doesn't get enough of the footy.
Yeah, I'd have Miers probably with our 2nd or 3rd pick, but he's not the typical Wells type - he's not overly fast or athletic or big, just has a good footy brain and good near goals. I'd be happy to get him. He will get picked up anywhere in 15-40 range.

Pretty much ... id say my criticisms would revolve around the loss of draft positions in 17 but mainly 18. Im not sure who is out of contract next year but I have little doubt someone will be going to load up a bit in next years draft ..even if its just a pick in the 30's or 40's. One pick before 50 in a draft acclaimed as 2001 revisited .. I doubt we would be happy with that.

Overall I have doubts on us being able to the difference at the draft table .the difference being what makes us a finals winner. I doubt Ablett is either. After all he was at his peak in 2010 playing a side that won the flag in 2011 and we still we routed by 41 points in a PF. I doubt he is the player he was then...and we are most certainly not the side we were. For me to go further the group and the side must play better together and Ablett can be the icing to that.

I know Wells said we were restricted on Sc.. I do wonder if we chose to be restricted so it sets us up to have a run at a FA next year? Maybe its an option , doubt we get Lynch or Sloane but without cap room we would have no chance.

Yeah, I'd have Miers probably with our 2nd or 3rd pick, but he's not the typical Wells type - he's not overly fast or athletic or big, just has a good footy brain and good near goals. I'd be happy to get him. He will get picked up anywhere in 15-40 range.
I'd only take him at 35, his range is 2nd/3rd round, if a team takes him in the first they are taking a real punt.

Having a better run with injury would help for a start. While it’s an agvantage to have players that can be switched to another position in a game to try and effect the game. I hope we generally have players playing in the same spot week to week.
I know he struggled there last year but I’d play Guthrie back. He had a poor year overall but I still think he’s an important player and I don’t see how he’ll get enough time in the midfield. And we need to be quicker and smaller at both ends.
I don’t need to say what great players Lonergan and Mackie have been. But their retirement should in some ways help the team. As we need to make the backline better able to handle modern forward lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back