Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking to take off the kgs in a short amount of time.

Power walking vs jogging vs running?

I don't want to bulk up my legs or get huge calves and thighs, so I'd prefer one of the first two over running. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Which one should I do, how long for and for how many days a week (if I am looking to lose weight?)

Thanks in advance!

I don't want to bulk up my legs or get huge calves and thighs, so I'd prefer one of the first two over running. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Which one should I do, how long for and for how many days a week (if I am looking to lose weight?)

Thanks in advance!

I use to do a fair bit of running, you won't bulk them up or IMO lose that much weight if you are already slim, you'll just build your fitness. Diet is much more important than exercise too when losing weight. How much do you want to lose?
Edit: another thing with jogging and running, I assume you mean full pace vs steady. I always did intervals because I could not sustain a high level of running (sprints) for more than 500m at a time. Power walking I have no experience with so I can't help you there.

I use to do a fair bit of running, you won't bulk them up or IMO lose that much weight if you are already slim, you'll just build your fitness.
I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny. I'm like a disproportioned Beyoncé type...which probably isn't too healthy at my age haha.

Diet is much more important than exercise too when losing weight. How much do you want to lose?
Yep I've got my diet covered. I want to lose about 15-20kg. I lose weight fairly quickly, but I put it on easily too.

Edit: another thing with jogging and running, I assume you mean full pace vs steady. I always did intervals because I could not sustain a high level of running (sprints) for more than 500m at a time. Power walking I have no experience with so I can't help you there.
Yeah my endurance sucks, so I would probably have to do intervals too. I could probably maintain a good pace if I jog though.

I've heard power walking is just as good for slimming down as running, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny. I'm like a disproportioned Beyoncé type...which probably isn't too healthy at my age haha.

Yep I've got my diet covered. I want to lose about 15-20kg. I lose weight fairly quickly, but I put it on easily too.

Yeah my endurance sucks, so I would probably have to do intervals too. I could probably maintain a good pace if I jog though.

I've heard power walking is just as good for slimming down as running, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you want to limit yourself to cardio, then I don't see why you can't do all three. Anything that gets your heart rate up and a reduced, but still healthy calorie intake will do wonders for your weightloss if you don't want to do weights or anything. I don't think I'm the best person to help you here as the only weight I ever lost was doing strength, but I was already slim so I don't know how cardio would have affected me if I wasn't. Good luck :thumbsu:

Rings are old family heirlooms - I'll never take them off because I'll make a habit of it then get careless then lose it because I'm incompetent.

make sure you get some very good gloves then, girl i know has a ring and the band eventually bent out of shape from holding weights and doing pullups etc.

I'd be interested in seeing your diet if your willing to post it?

I'd be interested in seeing your diet if your willing to post it?
Wake up, have a glass of water

Breakfast
2 to 4 Weetbix with milk and berries
Glass of water

Snack
2x fruit
Handful of nuts OR trail mix
Glass of water

Lunch
Varied meats + varied salads in wholegrain bread
Glass of water

Snack
Carrot/cucumber sticks
Homemade chickpea/capsicum/avocado dip
Glass of water

Dinner
Varied dish (limit my intake by halving my usual proportions)
Glass of water

Before bed, have a glass of water

It's been working well so far for my weight loss. Not only have I lost a few kgs already, but I've been feeling re-energised and my skin is clearing up.

I'm only a 15yo girl though, so if you were thinking of using it, it probably wouldn't be as effective for some of you older gym junkies.

Ahh, I meant dumbbells when I do curls but yes the wrist does move back a little, or tilt a little if I'm not holding it dead centre. That wrist wrap is what the sales person let me try, it did help but like you said it cut. Did you have much luck with the physio for your wrist injury? Any taping or anything?

If it's dumbbells, can try doing hammer curls instead (which will take pressure off the back of your wrist). Basically arm does exactly the same movement, but image your hand/fist is like the end of the hammer and is doing a hammering movement as if you're hammering a nail down.

Otherwise instead of doing heavy bicep exercises, just do a compound movement that incorporates your bicep - rows or assisted chin/pull ups.

Thanks in advance!

Cardio is a very small amount of the equation. It's 99.99999% diet. It's impossible to out-exercise a bad diet.

The way i put things is:

Diet - allows you to gain/lose weight.
Weights - will shape your body once you lose weight.
Cardio - allows you to increase your fitness.

100 calories is approximately a 1k run. So if someone for example has a large big mac meal from maccas - that's 1200 calories. Basically to exercise the effect of eating that back to 0, you need to run 12k's. It's much easier to control diet.

Assuming you're in the 70-80kg range (from the amount you said you need to lose) your body should have plenty of room to drop weight simply by watching what you eat. And eating it consistently. By following a diet which is very similar each week you can make small adjustments depending on what you're body is doing.

Basically eat the same for 2 weeks. If you're losing more than 500g per week then do nothing and keep at it. If you're not losing at all or a lot less, then reduce food slightly or increase cardio slightly and then follow that for another 2 weeks. Basically keep repeating that process by keeping exercise/food the same until your weight loss slows/stalls. You want to keep your food as high as possible at the start, so you have the opportunity to slowly reduce it over time. If you start off at 1200 cals (which stupidly most women's diets recommend) you have no room to move it lower over time without starving yourself. So small adjustments and consistency is the key! Good luck!

Wake up, have a glass of water

Breakfast
2 to 4 Weetbix with milk and berries
Glass of water

Snack
2x fruit
Handful of nuts OR trail mix
Glass of water

Lunch
Varied meats + varied salads in wholegrain bread
Glass of water

Snack
Carrot/cucumber sticks
Homemade chickpea/capsicum/avocado dip
Glass of water

Dinner
Varied dish (limit my intake by halving my usual proportions)
Glass of water

Before bed, have a glass of water

It's been working well so far for my weight loss. Not only have I lost a few kgs already, but I've been feeling re-energised and my skin is clearing up.

I'm only a 15yo girl though, so if you were thinking of using it, it probably wouldn't be as effective for some of you older gym junkies.

That diet is better than most 15 year olds but still has a lot of room for improvement.
Would you like some advice & be wiling to change a few foods if it meant improving your health & well being?
The advantage you have at your young age is , if you get your diet right now you want have the health issues that most have in their 20's & 30's etc..
For most its harder to change your dietary habits the older you are.

That diet is better than most 15 year olds but still has a lot of room for improvement.
Would you like some advice & be wiling to change a few foods if it meant improving your health & well being?
The advantage you have at your young age is , if you get your diet right now you want have the health issues that most have in their 20's & 30's etc..
For most its harder to change your dietary habits the older you are.
Sure, a bit of advice won't hurt I guess :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, a bit of advice won't hurt I guess :)

Ok first advice is you should be asleep , school tmrw!
Although my kids have school holidays for next two weeks so maybe you do too.

Breakfast, are you eating it because your hungry or you parents tell you to or feel you should?

If you can eliminate wheat , soy, grains & dairy from your diet your health & energy levels will go to a new level.
Raw dairy fine & white rice in moderate amounts.
Good to see you eating veggies n berries.
Do you eat/like eggs?

If it's dumbbells, can try doing hammer curls instead (which will take pressure off the back of your wrist). Basically arm does exactly the same movement, but image your hand/fist is like the end of the hammer and is doing a hammering movement as if you're hammering a nail down.

Otherwise instead of doing heavy bicep exercises, just do a compound movement that incorporates your bicep - rows or assisted chin/pull ups.

Will try the hammer curls. So instead of moving the weight so that the bar is perpendicular to the ground as you have brought it up, you just keep it straight the whole way?
Yesterday I tried my usual curls with a glove and everything felt a lot, lot easier. I will see how I go and if I have any problems when I move up a weight later. Thanks for your help.

If you're doing barbell curls are you using a straight bar?

I have wrist problems lifting that too, and use a ez-curl bar instead:

Holding it with my wrists at a slight angle helps take a bit of pressure off my wrists. Otherwise, can always move to using dumbbells rather than barbells.

From how you described it though, is it your wrist bending backwards rather than your grip? Kinda like this:

Wrists wraps can help keep your wrist in a straighter position. I have a wrist injury at the moment and it definitely helps take any pressure off by keeping the wrist straight.

When wearing this it does cut into me too. I basically put it on immediately before my set, and undo it as soon as i finish. It needs to be this tight though to provide support.

I have been thinking of getting some straps, i don't care about calluses but when i do my deadlift my calluses "scrunch up" and sting a little bit, plus i think the straps will help with lifting a bit heavier. Any recommendations on brands, types and where to buy?

I have been thinking of getting some straps, i don't care about calluses but when i do my deadlift my calluses "scrunch up" and sting a little bit, plus i think the straps will help with lifting a bit heavier. Any recommendations on brands, types and where to buy?

I always use straps for my heavy deadlift sets. I'd rather lift more weight than have my grip hold me back. For this i use harbinger brand ones i got from sporting store. I don't use them for my warm-ups and always use double overhand grip (not mixed). Do my warm ups, do first workset - 5x140 without. Then 5x165, 5x185 with straps. Also to help improve my grip, i normally hold the last rep for 5-8 seconds before lowering it.

Harbinger-Classic-Neoprene-Padded-Lifting-Straps.jpg

If you find your calluses are bunching up, it might be that you're holding the bar too high up in your hand. Rather than holding it in the centre of your palm, try and align the barbell at the bottom of it, then wrap your fingers around.

What i was talking about above was wraps through - basically elastic wrap that helps keep my wrist straight for bench/shoulder presses. For these i use Schiek Wrist Wraps (12").
schiek-black-line-wrist-wraps-60-p.jpg

I always use straps for my heavy deadlift sets. I'd rather lift more weight than have my grip hold me back. For this i use harbinger brand ones i got from sporting store. I don't use them for my warm-ups and always use double overhand grip (not mixed). Do my warm ups, do first workset - 5x140 without. Then 5x165, 5x185 with straps. Also to help improve my grip, i normally hold the last rep for 5-8 seconds before lowering it.

Harbinger-Classic-Neoprene-Padded-Lifting-Straps.jpg

If you find your calluses are bunching up, it might be that you're holding the bar too high up in your hand. Rather than holding it in the centre of your palm, try and align the barbell at the bottom of it, then wrap your fingers around.

What i was talking about above was wraps through - basically elastic wrap that helps keep my wrist straight for bench/shoulder presses. For these i use Schiek Wrist Wraps (12").
schiek-black-line-wrist-wraps-60-p.jpg

Thanks, yea i agree with using straps if it can assist me lifting more weight then that will help and shouldn't affect the progress of my grip strength. The bunching of calluses only happens when i lift my last set or a higher weight than normal and my grip starts give and the bar slips a little.

Cardio is a very small amount of the equation. It's 99.99999% diet. It's impossible to out-exercise a bad diet.

The way i put things is:

Diet - allows you to gain/lose weight.
Weights - will shape your body once you lose weight.
Cardio - allows you to increase your fitness.

100 calories is approximately a 1k run. So if someone for example has a large big mac meal from maccas - that's 1200 calories. Basically to exercise the effect of eating that back to 0, you need to run 12k's. It's much easier to control diet.

Assuming you're in the 70-80kg range (from the amount you said you need to lose) your body should have plenty of room to drop weight simply by watching what you eat. And eating it consistently. By following a diet which is very similar each week you can make small adjustments depending on what you're body is doing.

Basically eat the same for 2 weeks. If you're losing more than 500g per week then do nothing and keep at it. If you're not losing at all or a lot less, then reduce food slightly or increase cardio slightly and then follow that for another 2 weeks. Basically keep repeating that process by keeping exercise/food the same until your weight loss slows/stalls. You want to keep your food as high as possible at the start, so you have the opportunity to slowly reduce it over time. If you start off at 1200 cals (which stupidly most women's diets recommend) you have no room to move it lower over time without starving yourself. So small adjustments and consistency is the key! Good luck!

It depends on what sort of exercise your doing and at what intensity you can still eat whatever you want and lose weight if you work hard enough. If a person is overweight but at a fairly stable weight and increases their exercise levels they will lose weight. The amount of energy burnt during exercise is fairly irrelevant usually it's what your body burns post exercise that makes the most difference. Most people who are overweight don't know how to push themselves hard enough and as a result never do enough exercise to drop much weight. Obviously if you eat better weight lose will be accelerated but not losing any weight through exercise is just down to a lack of work ethic when exercising.

It depends on what sort of exercise your doing and at what intensity you can still eat whatever you want and lose weight if you work hard enough. If a person is overweight but at a fairly stable weight and increases their exercise levels they will lose weight. The amount of energy burnt during exercise is fairly irrelevant usually it's what your body burns post exercise that makes the most difference. Most people who are overweight don't know how to push themselves hard enough and as a result never do enough exercise to drop much weight. Obviously if you eat better weight lose will be accelerated but not losing any weight through exercise is just down to a lack of work ethic when exercising.

If someone is overweight, they definitely can get a 500 calorie deficit by running 5km+ 7 days a week, but it's not the best tool for the job. I tell you what though, even fit people may struggle to run 35km per week.

Fixing diet is by far the easiest tool for losing weight.

Also telling someone just to kill themselves on cardio does not teach them healthy eating habits.

Will try the hammer curls. So instead of moving the weight so that the bar is perpendicular to the ground as you have brought it up, you just keep it straight the whole way?
Yesterday I tried my usual curls with a glove and everything felt a lot, lot easier. I will see how I go and if I have any problems when I move up a weight later. Thanks for your help.

Late reply - picture tells 1000 words:

DBHammerCurl.gif

But if the gloves work, keep going with it - above is just another option to add into the mix if needed.

Whilst you are right to some degree, people will be far better to eat a healthy and nutritious diet high in lean protein and fresh fruit and vegg as opposed to processed foods. Think about it most people only exercise for an hour a day, what you do in the other 23 hours is the major factor. Whilst different types of exercise can increase EPOC, once again its the other 23 hours outside the one hour exercise window is more crucial. As the saying goes you can't exercise out a bad diet!

Another point in this matter. Speaking to guy at gym this morning. He's no where near fat - probably sitting around 12-14% bf. Said he ate 2 packets of pringles yesterday. Checked the packet afterward and then found out it was 2000 calories worth.

For him to exercise that off he'd need to run 20km, or basically a half marathon.

It's much easier to control the food side and not eat them at all, than to try and out exercise dietary mistakes.

Another point in this matter. Speaking to guy at gym this morning. He's no where near fat - probably sitting around 12-14% bf. Said he ate 2 packets of pringles yesterday. Checked the packet afterward and then found out it was 2000 calories worth.

For him to exercise that off he'd need to run 20km, or basically a half marathon.

It's much easier to control the food side and not eat them at all, than to try and out exercise dietary mistakes.

Not to mention that eating better foods will fuel your body so much better and give you so much more energy and leave you feeling full. But damn i do love pringles.....

But I suppose that if he's got a fair bit of muscle his resting metabolic rate will be more efficient than someone who is starting from scratch (no real lean mass and high body fat %), right?

Therefore, he can probably afford to make those mistakes rather than the other person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back