Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible story. I agree, I think taking the knife suggests some premeditation rather than an act of spontaneous rage. I don't think it necessarily excludes regret, for what ever reason we all regret doing stupid things. I do worry that folks don't have a good understanding of the consequences of their actions nowadays, especially when they grow up in our virtual digital culture where you respawn after dying as much as you like in games or push the undo button to correct mistakes you make on the computer. There is no undo button in life - my rule #7 for a happy life.

I wonder how many people take a knife or a gun, and start heading somewhere , with intent to kill, and then somewhere along the way think better of it and turn around.

I wonder how many people take a knife or a gun, and start heading somewhere , with intent to kill, and then somewhere along the way think better of it and turn around.
I'm sure many do.
This is not exactly the same situation, but perhaps has some parallels. I was suicidally depressed a few ago and was going to throw myself under the number 48 tram in Bridge rd, in my state of mind at the time it seemed the easiest way to stop the pain. When the tram trundled up I didn't do it, thankfully. I'm certainly glad I didn't, I would never have got to meet all the nice folks on BF.

Terrible story. I agree, I think taking the knife suggests some premeditation rather than an act of spontaneous rage. I don't think it necessarily excludes regret, for what ever reason we all regret doing stupid things. I do worry that folks don't have a good understanding of the consequences of their actions nowadays, especially when they grow up in our virtual digital culture where you respawn after dying as much as you like in games or push the undo button to correct mistakes you make on the computer. There is no undo button in life - my rule #7 for a happy life.
In a domestic situation, I would say it is more likely to be spontaneous. Big Sharp knives are on a knife block on a bench. A relative was a magistrate and always said, don't have knives in places that are easy to get to. If someone gets angry, it is a readily available weapon with tragic consequences. He had seen a few cases with a lot of regrets.

In a domestic situation, I would say it is more likely to be spontaneous. Big Sharp knives are on a knife block on a bench. A relative was a magistrate and always said, don't have knives in places that are easy to get to. If someone gets angry, it is a readily available weapon with tragic consequences. He had seen a few cases with a lot of regrets.

Was told a similar thing years ago too, thankfully not for DV, but after there’d been a few local break-in’s - don’t ever have a knife block on the bench. If someone breaks in, you could be presenting them with a far better weapon than the one they brought with them.

I don't know if this is arson or not but I never heard of solar panels catching on fire.

'"There's about 2,000 swimmers out here, because we had our CHS competition today, and there's about probably 2000 swimmers there and we're all been herded out.

I was expecting the Aquatic Centre to be closed for a lot longer than half a day!

They must have a non-solar panel backup heating system, and the roof structure be safe enough, andno smoke to have got inside from the outside.

'Aquatic Centre Temporary Closure

The Aquatic Centre will remain closed on Monday 13 May due to a fire evacuation. School Carnival attendees may return to the venue to pick up their personal belongings until close tonight (8pm).

The centre will reopen on Tuesday 14 May at 5am and all events will proceed as scheduled '

Unnamed 17 yo who stabbed Emma Lovell to death receives 14 years imprisonment but will probably only serve 9 and a bit. Currently 19 yo, this means he could be released when he's 28 yo. Something seems wrong.

Mary Pultz went missing 40 years ago after she left her family with her boyfriend, a man who later in life was charged with another murder, but died awaiting trial. Her body was discovered on April 10, 1985, in Crescent Beach, Florida, when a worker was digging a post hole for a beach stairway. They have remained unidentified until now.

RIP Mary

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 17yo red P-Plater who drove round the block with what is reported to be a completely smashed windshield might at least lose his licence for 3 years for failing to stop and assist at the scene of an 'alleged hit and run', that killed a pedestrian last night in Bexley, NSW.

At that time of night, in that location, if he can prove that all the street parking was full, and he thought it was too dangerous to stop without illegally parking in one of the many residential driveways in that residential area block (mostly stand alone houses with 12-15 street fronts and garages), he might get off.

'It comes as an image of a vile bumper sticker on the vehicle involved in the alleged hit and run in Sydney’s southwest has come to light, 2GB radio station revealed.'

'PUBLISHED: 10:19 AEST, 15 May 2024 | UPDATED: 10:53 AEST, 15 May 2024'

A 38-year-old man was allegedly hit by a Ford Falcon at the intersection of Preddys Road and John Street in Bexley, Sydney's south, at 10.40pm on Tuesday.

The red P-plate driver, 17, allegedly did a lap of the block before returning to the scene where he was arrested.
The front windshield was seen completely smashed in as it was towed away.
The wounded man was unable to be saved.

An investigation has been launched into the crash and anyone who has information into the incident is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

The victim is yet to be identified and a report will be prepared for the coroner.'

A 17-year-old driver who allegedly fatally struck a pedestrian had a bumper sticker that read 'I drive like a c**t' on the back of his car

'

Last edited:

'Victoria moves to protect sexual assault victims from defamation action for reporting crimes
Exclusive: Government hopes proposed law will encourage people to come forward to police without fear of legal action
Benita Kolovos
Wed 15 May 2024 01.00 AEST
The state government is set to introduce the justice legislation amendment (integrity, defamation and other matters) bill on Wednesday
Reports made to the media will not be covered under the change, which has followed several years of work by federal, state and territory attorneys general – collectively known as the Standing Council of Attorneys-General (Scag).

The reform was led by the Victorian government, which released a consultation paper on the issue in 2022, and found the current defamation laws can have a “chilling effect on reporting sexual abuse or harassment”.

“While reports to the media are not in scope for this reform, these high-profile cases can create public perceptions that question the credibility of victim-survivors and a culture of fear of reporting allegations,” the paper read.

“This perception that victim-survivors will be sued for speaking up can sometimes become a reality when they are threatened with defamation suits.”

The paper said between 70% and 90% of Australians who had been sexually assaulted “had not reported their most recent assault to police”.
...'
The bill also clarified the liability and responsibility of “digital intermediaries”, such as search engines and social media platforms, when a third party uses an online service to publish defamatory content.

This change was pushed by the former New South Wales attorney general Mark Speakman and followed a high court ruling in 2021 that found media companies could be held liable for allegedly defamatory comments posted to their Facebook pages.

A Scag meeting in September last year failed to reach unanimous agreement on both changes being adopted by the Victorian government.

While NSW and Victoria committed to introduce laws to come into effect by July, South Australia said it only supported “aspects” of them.

The Victorian bill also allows police-issued body-worn camera footage to be used as evidence in court cases involving a family violence offence or family violence intervention order.

This form of evidence was a recommendation of the royal commission into family violence and reduces the trauma of victims having to make a formal written statement and paperwork for police.
“Many offenders choose to plead guilty rather than contest a charge if there is video footage,” the report said.
...'

This is seriously messed up:

Police search for man who allegedly abducted a woman and child from a Melbourne shopping centre​

• A woman was allegedly abducted from a Stud Park Shopping Centre carpark by a man who threatened her and her child with a knife.
  • Police say the man forced the mother to drive around for two hours and buy laptop computers while he stayed in the car with the victim's young child.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-17/woman-child-abducted-rowville-police/103859562

This is seriously messed up:

Police search for man who allegedly abducted a woman and child from a Melbourne shopping centre​

• A woman was allegedly abducted from a Stud Park Shopping Centre carpark by a man who threatened her and her child with a knife.
  • Police say the man forced the mother to drive around for two hours and buy laptop computers while he stayed in the car with the victim's young child.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-17/woman-child-abducted-rowville-police/103859562
Why didn't she alert the shop staff? Something not right here.

International, another weird long-time captive one

His poor Mum died not knowing her son was only 200m away.

This was interesting, I've always 'trust your dog'.

The newspaper said, according to accounts from locals, Mr Omran's dog had hung around the suspect's home for at least a month after he disappeared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back