Preview Geelong v Port Friday May 10 710 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be some angst about this game. I'd like to know why Port is considered such a threat.

Ladder
Geelong 2
Port 7

2024 Averages
Disposals
Geelong 350.4
Port 346.5

I50s
Geelong 54.8
Port 57.8

Disposal Efficiency
Geelong 70.5%
Port 72.3%

Efficiency Outside 50
Geelong 47.7%
Port 52.4%

Free Kicks
Geelong 13.8
Port 19.6

Hit Outs
Geelong 40.1
Port 39.6

Clearances
Geelong 37.6
Port 37.3

Centre Clearances
Geelong 11.5
Port 12.9

Stoppage Clearances
Geelong 26.1
Port 24.4

Contestes Possessions
Geelong 131.4
Port 130.1

Uncontested Possessions
Geelong 206.8
Port 204

Turnovers
Geelong 69.4
Port 64.8

Geelong
View attachment 1980841

Port
View attachment 1980842

Cameron is averaging a career high 18 disposals a match + has also lifted his marking average, which is seven per game this year. He is roaming further around the ground, increasing in his involvement in games. His versatility makes him an extremely hard player to defend against.

Hawkins described Cameron + OHenry as hybrid forwards with their marking abilities + excellent ground work.

Now we have 'The Swarm', the nickname given by forwards coach James Rahilly, to our small forwards: Gryan Miers, Tyson Stengle + Bradley Close sprinting around the ground to ignite the Cats' deadly efficient ball movement. They have kicked 29 of Geelong’s 103 goals this year. While they blanket a significant amount of ground, they also offer linking options on either side of the ground when Geelong has possession, or filling gaps when the Cats are defending.

Squiggle has the following projections:
View attachment 1980844
Angst is due:-
Power always play well against Cats
They have managed to upset Cats in finals.
Also have a few players that could trouble.
Cats still have occasional bad games.
Footy is unpredictable, injury, luck, umpire
Pessimists have anxiety.

Pessimists have anxiety.
It’s simple just whisper to them on gameday 180 and all will be well …they need a coach killing loss and we are the masters of that at least

Cats: We have a problem...
Hawkins not functioning at capacity.
Urgent assistance needed.
Priority issue Scott needs to address.
Suggestions or Options requested

Bring in Neal as power forward?
Draw tall and free up Hawkins

Play Blitz at CHF
Will mark or bring ball to ground
Also good defensive worker

Play Stewart across Half Forward?
Strong marking player
Stop all intercept marks
Excellent defensive pressure.

Last edited:
There seems to be some angst about this game. I'd like to know why Port is considered such a threat.

Ladder
Geelong 2
Port 7

2024 Averages
Disposals
Geelong 350.4
Port 346.5

I50s
Geelong 54.8
Port 57.8

Disposal Efficiency
Geelong 70.5%
Port 72.3%

Efficiency Outside 50
Geelong 47.7%
Port 52.4%

Free Kicks
Geelong 13.8
Port 19.6

Hit Outs
Geelong 40.1
Port 39.6

Clearances
Geelong 37.6
Port 37.3

Centre Clearances
Geelong 11.5
Port 12.9

Stoppage Clearances
Geelong 26.1
Port 24.4

Contestes Possessions
Geelong 131.4
Port 130.1

Uncontested Possessions
Geelong 206.8
Port 204

Turnovers
Geelong 69.4
Port 64.8

Geelong
View attachment 1980841

Port
View attachment 1980842

Cameron is averaging a career high 18 disposals a match + has also lifted his marking average, which is seven per game this year. He is roaming further around the ground, increasing in his involvement in games. His versatility makes him an extremely hard player to defend against.

Hawkins described Cameron + OHenry as hybrid forwards with their marking abilities + excellent ground work.

Now we have 'The Swarm', the nickname given by forwards coach James Rahilly, to our small forwards: Gryan Miers, Tyson Stengle + Bradley Close sprinting around the ground to ignite the Cats' deadly efficient ball movement. They have kicked 29 of Geelong’s 103 goals this year. While they blanket a significant amount of ground, they also offer linking options on either side of the ground when Geelong has possession, or filling gaps when the Cats are defending.

Squiggle has the following projections:
View attachment 1980844

Damn, I wanted to think we could turn it round this week but the numbers don't lie...

We're going to lose the free kick count for the 9th week in a row:disappointed:

Cats: We have a problem...
Hawkins not functioning at capacity.
Urgent assistance needed.
Priority issue Scott needs to address.
Suggestions or Options requested

Bring in Neal as power forward?
Draw tall and free up Hawkins

Play Blitz at CHF
Will mark or bring ball to ground
Also good defensive worker

Play Stewart across Half Forward?
Strong marking player
Stop all intercept marks
Excellent defensive pressure.

Neale got hurt in the VFL on Sunday, so he's not option for this week at least. Would love to see him get some games once he's back, though.

If we were resting Hawkins, the forward line could function with Cameron - Rohan - Henry as our taller options. No need to throw Stewart up forward, especially since our smalls are contributing on the scoreboard. It may mean Cameron has to spend more time in F50, but I don't know if that's a bad thing for a week or two.

Blitz as CHF - maybe as a resting option for a few minutes, but too important as 2nd ruck/mid (even though he seems to be playing under duress a little?).

I'm not keen to start throwing around the magnets because of a single 8-point loss.

Neale got hurt in the VFL on Sunday, so he's not option for this week at least. Would love to see him get some games once he's back, though.

If we were resting Hawkins, the forward line could function with Cameron - Rohan - Henry as our taller options. No need to throw Stewart up forward, especially since our smalls are contributing on the scoreboard. It may mean Cameron has to spend more time in F50, but I don't know if that's a bad thing for a week or two.

Blitz as CHF - maybe as a resting option for a few minutes, but too important as 2nd ruck/mid (even though he seems to be playing under duress a little?).

I'm not keen to start throwing around the magnets because of a single 8-point loss.
It would be going full Bevo.

You NEVER go full Bevo.

Don’t see this game as a pushover-they generally play a good game against us. Am expecting to win it but not without a struggle, especially if we play poorly again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimists have anxiety.
“Geelong's 14 wins from their last 15 matches vs Port Adelaide is their equal most from their last 15 matches against all opponents.”
https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/715437/the-stats-cat-cats-v-power

Port’s win/losses at Kardinia Park (2-13)

Perhaps Port are due for a win. Is this the type of game we usually lose?

Damn, I wanted to think we could turn it round this week but the numbers don't lie...

We're going to lose the free kick count for the 9th week in a row:disappointed:
If we lose contested possessions, we could win 😹 😹 😹
🤞🏻 🤞🏻 🤞🏻

Great analysis.

On paper this should be a comfortable win. I think the angst of course just comes from the fact that we don’t want to lose a game we should win and lose two in a row.

But I expect our boys to bounce back. They will be mad they didn’t beat melbourne given we had our chances. The forwards will want to have a field day against ports backs and frankly our defence should keep their forwards to a poor return.

Midfield obviously is ports relative strength but that is every game. Indeed maybe we did too well against melbourne in the middle and it threw our game plan off!!
Thank you Mr Meow, means a lot to me, coming from you 😊

Oh? We perhaps “we did too well against melbourne in the middle and it threw our game plan off!!” Interesting! If you have time, I’d love it if you would explain how + why that happened, please?

Humphries anyone?

Looks like he is dominating VFL this year. Don't we want the ball winners that hurt opposition?

Must admit to knowing nothing about our Bankers’ players.

Consequently, purely hypothetical, because based on Humphries’ stats, which fails to encompass other important areas of his game.

Career:
Games Played 119
Total Goals 58
Best Player 24
Geelong 2024
Games Played 6
Total Goals 1
Best Player 3
Humphries’ Geelong bio:
“Wingman from Swan Districts with elite ball use and decision making, Humphries developed into a weapon in the WAFL last year splitting his time between seniors and reserves. Ultimately starred in the Swan Districts reserves premiership, displaying his elite skills on both sides of his body.”

Sounds terrific. Again, I’m unaware of other VFL players 🤷🏻‍♀️

Who would you say he’s like, if there is a comparison to our 22+ players?

Humphries anyone?

Looks like he is dominating VFL this year. Don't we want the ball winners that hurt opposition?

If he gets a game in the AFL he’s earned it with his form in the VFL. Same goes for Hardie.
Conway & Mullin have also been excellent in the VFL when they’ve played.

Aside from Conway, I can’t see the others getting a chance unless through injury or rotation. I just can’t see who they push out of our current team atm.

Must admit to knowing nothing about our Bankers’ players.

Consequently, purely hypothetical, because based on Humphries’ stats, which fails to encompass other important areas of his game.

Career:
Games Played 119
Total Goals 58
Best Player 24
Geelong 2024
Games Played 6
Total Goals 1
Best Player 3
Humphries’ Geelong bio:
“Wingman from Swan Districts with elite ball use and decision making, Humphries developed into a weapon in the WAFL last year splitting his time between seniors and reserves. Ultimately starred in the Swan Districts reserves premiership, displaying his elite skills on both sides of his body.”

Sounds terrific. Again, I’m unaware of other VFL players 🤷🏻‍♀️

Who would you say he’s like, if there is a comparison to our 22+ players?
If Tom Stewart and Nicky Winmar had a baby. Something like that.

If Tom Stewart and Nicky Winmar had a baby. Something like that.
Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

Love that!

Expect this to be a tough game despite the port players who will be missing.
But Cats should win at home, Hawkins to kick 10 goals matched up on Esava.

Esava to forget which team he's playing for and shepherd a Jeremy Cameron kick through for a goal? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back