Gavin Wanganeen (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone got any Wanganeen badges they wouldnt mind selling??? I need the following years:

Not sure about the 2000-2003 badges I have 2 but they dont have a year on them??

Anyone able to help???

I saw the great man down the Norwood Parade this afternoon with his daughter and son Tex. I hope the young lad is playing a bit of Aussie Rules, (as well as soccer) to see if he has any talent.

n668067098_538771_4069.jpg
any chance you have this image in better quality. I have alot of 04 Gf pics and memorabilia but have never seen that 1.

its awesome my two favourite players in the same pic geez they both had days out in the 04 finals series

dont discount his influence in the 04 pre lim....

Or his chase down of Mcleod in a showdown, Mcleod walked on water back then was the best and fastest at everything supposedly.

dont discount his influence in the 04 pre lim....

Or his chase down of Mcleod in a showdown, Mcleod walked on water back then was the best and fastest at everything supposedly.

I get goosebumps thinking about his last qtr in the prelim and his goal celebrations in the GF.

When he kicked a goal in the last qtr I saw 'the ghost-rohan smith' coming back from the bar or pisser and he had heard the crowd going off ... I said wangas has kicked another. The ghost screamed "u f*&^ing beauty - we've got it now!"

Thats good to hear that Rohan follows the Power.

Who did he play for in Victoria? Was it St Kilda?

Thats good to hear that Rohan follows the Power.

Who did he play for in Victoria? Was it St Kilda?

Rohan did in 2004? :rolleyes:

yea - i think it was saints, tho he didnt play many games?

I just about had tears in my eyes from one bit of play (think it was 2005) at FPark near us on the western wing where he got smashed a few times by the opposition trying to pick up the ball but never losing his focus. Beat them all, danced around a few others then laced out to a forward. Best individual bit of footy I've witnessed live. Amazing footballer/artist!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see this article?
http://www.theweeklyreview.com.au/well-read-article-display/Baby-Bomber-comes-home/5397

I particularly found this bit interesting

Wanganeen’s first marriage ended in 2009 and he has two children, Mia, 12, and Tex, nine. “My young boy Tex ran out through the Essendon banner as a mascot,” he says. And he adds, temptingly for Essendon fans: “He qualifies father-son.”
He enjoys fatherhood. “It’s good; keeps you on your toes. Tex loves a kick, so I’m always kicking the footy with him.” Tex and Mia both have Essendon and Port Adelaide jumpers. “He rotates a lot,” he says. “Mia the same.”

A little bit of hope considering I thought he was a straight up Essendon boy.

I saved this page from Port's website when the little champ retired. Thought I would paste what Choco and the club said on that day and keep for posterity.

Gav one of the greatest ever: Williams
12:08:15 PM Wed 7 June, 2006
Daniel Bryant
Port Adelaide Football Club
There is perhaps no bigger admirer of Gavin Wanganeen than Mark Williams.

As the Power coach prepared to farewell his former teammate from football on Wednesday, he took some time out to reflect on what has made Wanganeen great.

He told the Power website that Wanganeen was “one of the game’s greatest ever players” and said he felt “lucky to have know him”.

Williams and Wanganeen were teammates in the club’s 1990 premiership before meeting again at Essendon when Williams was an assistant coach. Wanganeen followed Williams back to Alberton (Williams as assistant coach, Wanganeen as captain) when the Power entered the AFL in 1997.

“From a personal point of view, it’s almost a link to my past in the fact that I can remember when he first played and playing alongside him,” Williams said.

“From then I was very, very interested in his development at Essendon. When he came back to Port Adelaide he gave us a real credibility in the AFL from the start. To have Gavin Wanganeen play for any side gives it credibility immediately. We were very lucky to get him back and certainly Port Adelaide would never have reached the heights that it has in the recent past without Gavin.”

Three things stand out to Williams when he thinks of Wanganeen the player and Wanganeen the man. They are his versatility as a player, his ability to play in big games, and his humble nature.

“Gavin is without doubt one of the most skillful, agile, and entertaining footballers ever to have played,” Williams said.

The fact is that not too many people can be outstanding in three areas on the ground. He’s an outstanding defender, he’s a brilliant midfielder and he’s a wonderful goal kicker. The two goals he kicked late in the game against St Kilda in the Preliminary Final will be two that are long remembered at the club.

“Big days were when Gavin performed best and he had some wonderful individual games but the grand final is one that everyone will remember. The way he played, and the fact he wanted to play on the biggest stage of all spoke so highly of his character and his temperament.

“His humility is the number one thing. It is never talked of much but to be one of the greatest players ever and to mix with everyone in the team as an equal is just a wonderful thing. His smile, his humour, we’re all very lucky to have known him.”

Williams sympathised with Gavin’s horror injury run, having talked him out of retirement to play on in 2006.

“Based on Gavin’s form at the end of 2005, we thought he had a very important role to play not only off the bench in a variety of positions but also helping develop the younger players coming through,” Williams said.

“At that particular time the only thing that was an issue was his mental freshness for the season so given the extended time off in pre-season, he came back really refreshed and ready to go and unfortunately he’s run into injury problems three times this year with the last one being one that is going to take him out of the game for a fair time.

“It is with no regret that we have Gavin on our list (this year). He is a wonderful example to the players. His attitude, his friendliness for someone who has done everything in football, it can’t be understated.”

If Williams has his way, Wanganeen will spend a lot of time at the Port Adelaide Football Club in retirement.

“I’ve talked to Gavin already. I’ve asked him if there is any position he’d like, certainly we’d love to have him here,” he said.

“If he just wants to come down every now and again for a kick to feel part of the group having been a footballer for so long, then that would be great as well.

“It is a very, very difficult thing to walk away and not have any relationship with the club at all. There are so many friends, so many stories, so many experiences we’ve all been through together, it links us forever.

“Gavin always will be welcome and it will be a delight to have him back at the club at any time.”

What a legend. The reason why so many people like him is because he is just so humble

Anyone see Gavin designed Essendons indigenous round Guernsey this year , pretty good too . Feel like they stole a march on us there . Hopefully we'll get him to do one for us sometime .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back