Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Gifted more games than any I can remember. Of course he tried hard. He just has a ltd footy IQ and sinks without trace on the big games.

Am pleased he has left and wish him well.
In games where we struggled to get the ball forward, got dominated, and every other 21 players in our team also had a shit game. Is it those big games you are talking about?

He never got pointed out as not playing well in any game we won, including big games that we won. Funny how he only got whipped in the ones we lost. No one deserves to be singled out in an overall average team performance.

That is it in a nutshell. Our midfield inside 50's have been pretty bad for a long time. Even when our midfield was half decent in the 2011 to 2014 range actual delivery into the forward line was always poor.

Have watched a fair bit of Rohan at Sydney and at Geelong and it's not just that he is being supplied by a midfield he never previously had. Sydney have had some very strong midfields in Rohan's time. He seems to be taking strong contested marks now and hunting the ball a lot better than he ever used to. Seems a very different player than he was with a lot more confidence. Not sure if that is game plan, coaching, how he is being used, the players around him...

Have watched a fair bit of Rohan at Sydney and at Geelong and it's not just that he is being supplied by a midfield he never previously had. Sydney have had some very strong midfields in Rohan's time. He seems to be taking strong contested marks now and hunting the ball a lot better than he ever used to. Seems a very different player than he was with a lot more confidence. Not sure if that is game plan, coaching, how he is being used, the players around him...
Maybe he is no longer carrying a Horse on his shoulders.

The media only just learnt who Gary Rohan was this month

After years of calling him terrible suddenly they are best friends with Gazza.

After years of calling him terrible suddenly they are best friends with Gazza.
He was terrible for years, I'm not seeing the issue

Could be any one of those..dont think its the Geelong players...back in the day the Swans midfield was top drawer......that said, Longmire must be wondering why he couldn't get the performances out of Rohan that we are seeing at present....

He was terrible for years, I'm not seeing the issue
Complete myth and sheep mentality.

Played a huge role in getting us to several finals during our halcyon days. Only after his 1st poor finals game v hawks (of which majority of team were culprits) did the whinging start. When regular season restarted, they were quickly reminded of what he could do on field so then quickly went back into their shells. A 2nd indifferent finals game brought them back out in full voice...until regular season....and so cycle repeats. The only 'bad' year he had was after the well documented family tragedy of his child. Thye subsequent change of env may have benefited him, but the problem wasn't rohan. The problem was our midfield. His performances this yr are proving that. If the geelong mids get on top in a GF this yr, i'd confidently put my money on rohan to perform.

Complete myth and sheep mentality.

Played a huge role in getting us to several finals during our halcyon days. Only after his 1st poor finals game v hawks (of which majority of team were culprits) did the whinging start. When regular season restarted, they were quickly reminded of what he could do on field so then quickly went back into their shells. A 2nd indifferent finals game brought them back out in full voice...until regular season....and so cycle repeats. The only 'bad' year he had was after the well documented family tragedy of his child. Thye subsequent change of env may have benefited him, but the problem wasn't rohan. The problem was our midfield. His performances this yr are proving that. If the geelong mids get on top in a GF this yr, i'd confidently put my money on rohan to perform.

Prelims must not count as "big games" because Rohan apparently never played well/always went missing in "big games".
The Rohan hate is another example of opinion trumping reality.

2014 Prelim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

, Longmire must be wondering why he couldn't get the performances out of Rohan that we are seeing at present....
He did. TheMase had a comparison between this year and 2016, where the stats were almost identical, bar goals owing to Rohan's ~90% goal kicking accuracy this year

Last edited:
Rohan has really had 2 strong games, with the rest him just doing his role. When you smash a team (the scoreboard flattered WC on the weekend. I can't remember the last time I watched a game between two "good" sides where one has dominated from start to finish and the other at no time had any control over the contest).

We stuffed the stats sheet on the weekend. 13 players over 20 touches and 16 had over 18. Gary was actually had the second lowest, but if he kicks straight (and gets the ball where he did - 30 out, directly in front) he will look good. Pretty nice having the other Gary kicking it to you.

Rohan has really had 2 strong games, with the rest him just doing his role. When you smash a team (the scoreboard flattered WC on the weekend. I can't remember the last time I watched a game between two "good" sides where one has dominated from start to finish and the other at no time had any control over the contest).

We stuffed the stats sheet on the weekend. 13 players over 20 touches and 16 had over 18. Gary was actually had the second lowest, but if he kicks straight (and gets the ball where he did - 30 out, directly in front) he will look good. Pretty nice having the other Gary kicking it to you.

this in a nutshell was the debate about rohan. Some here (maybe even the majority at the end of his time) saw the 6-10 possession games and saw failure. Some saw the 6-10 possession games and saw the 5 score involvements and saw success.

I doubt it will change much at geelong as i think he will always be a low possession player and he might be seen to be a bit of a flat track bully - he'll do very well when you are dominant and not so much when you're not.

But I for one was very sorry to see him go and I'm in the camp of hoping he does incredibly well for geelong.

If you haven't yet voted for Gary in this years Leon Davis medal, give him your support.

If you haven't yet voted for Gary in this years Leon Davis medal, give him your support.

Surely Rohan could have claim to the naming rights of that medal now?

Davis actually had a good game in the 2011 GF.

Rohan yet to do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back