• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets
With 14 clubs already ruling him out, it's become clear it's either the Pies, Eagles or us who will take him (if he gets drafted).

There's no doubting his talent, but just his attitude and work ethic. He was with Murray Newman after all.

Thanks to the Wellingham trade, the Eagles won't get to pick until after our last pick. The Pies have 18-20 & 38, but I'm not sure they'll take him with any of those picks.

The ball is in our court. What would you do?

I was dead against it originally, however having thought about it a little more, he is a WA boy, he would have some very good role models to learn from at fremantle. I would not be devestated if we took him with our last pick... especially since his talent is meant to be top 10. We would just need to be bloody sure that he is committed to playing at a high level, and doesnt end up murray sampi'ing himself

It's tough. If we land Simpson with our first & Shaw is available at our second we would have to take them I reckon. If he's there for our 3rd its a nobrainer for mine. If we go O'Brien at 17 maybe our 2nd pick? But over Shaw, maybe not.

Waste of a pick, let him go. Would prefer to gamble on kpfs who have a work rate than a talented kid who throws it away

It really comes down to how he interviews with Ross and the crew. If Ross and Kirk are confident that they can harness him, then im not against him being drafted with our last pick, but if he is a unit who is just going to turn into murray sampi, then there isnt a point

You take the chance with him if he is around with the last pick, the kid is top 5/6 on talent alone.

I would take the risk on Garlett with the last pick over any "project" KP player who lasts that long. If he gets his head together the club has something very special.

Kid could be anything. From Clayton Collard to Lewis Jetta or anywhere between.
I reckon we take the risk if he's available at our last pick ( unless Shaw is still available )

If available we should take him with our last pick. If not for any other reason because West Coast will likely take him at 45 and strike gold twice as they did with Darling. I can't stand the thought of that.

He is from WA and I back the current coaching/playing group to turn him around.

Waste of a pick, let him go. Would prefer to gamble on kpfs who have a work rate than a talented kid who throws it away

Maybe it's not a fair comparison but Lyon's ability to rapidly transform Walters gives me optimism Garlett wouldn't be a basketcase at Freo.

Would prefer not to take him though going on a by needs basis. Tomorrow sure will be fascinating though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not draft him? Ross could do with a challenge. He is very talented and arrogant. Hill can teach him about modesty and Garlett can teach him about arrogance.

Interesting to hear so many on BF casting judgement on the kid's attitude/professionalism/etc. How many know him personally or have even met him?

Personally, I think he is extremely talented and is hard-working enough to build a pretty impressive tank. I think with a good coach and culture he could become an elite footballer. I'd back our coach and club to provide that. The only negative I've seen in the half dozen games I've seen him play in is that he is very selfish as a footballer - ie, he rarely handballs and always looks to kick a goal himself. But again, I reckon a good coach can sort that out pretty easily.

It seems crazy to me that he would be available at pick 39, but if he is, and if we've already taken a tall forward and a tall back, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

There's far too much talk to suggest otherwise, Emma Quayle being the latest to add to what was already a long list of doubters.

Yeah, but talk begets talk. There was a lot of talk a few years ago that Jack Darling was a terrible human being who would destroy any club who drafted him (I may be exaggerating here). There was a lot of talk in June that Essendon would win the flag this year. And there's plenty more examples of where one journalist writes an opinion on a player or a team or a coach, then another journalist accepts it as fact and copies it and soon enough it's everywhere being stated as fact. Footy journalists (and BF posters) are a mob of sheep, how many said the Hawks were a shoo-in this year. WRONG!

Anyway, I don't mind if we don't draft him, I just hope our recruiters aren't sucked along with the herd.

Pick 4o for me. Even consider pick 37 as Broughton for Garlett imo a good deal for us. He was still in all Australian under 18 this year so has talent, but expect the pies to grab him at 20.

Back