State of Origin Game 1: Queensland v New South Wales

Remove this Banner Ad

It's this sort of NSW jizzfest that sets them up for failure each and every year.

I mean, it was 2 tries a piece with a couple of penalty conversions the difference.....and QLD camped the final 30 mins in their attacking red zone.

the only reason QLD didn't win was because Cherry Evans was below par and wasn't putting the same pressure on the NSW left-side defence as Thurston was on the other side. that's not to take anything away from the blues goal line defence, but DCE was a bit lost of answers and creativity and didn't stretch them the way Thurston was on the other side of the park. Then he'd resort to impotent kicks which Tupou nullified with ease.

Understandable. Up until now, Cronk would've run that side and would take the big minutes in training too developing combinations with Gillett/Thaiday, Slater & Hodges over the years. DCE will be good for the run and will now be the chief on their right-side in the lead-up to Games 2 & 3.

LOL What! Thurston was dead set abysmal! Missed 2 goals that he should have made at least 1...which would have meant the sitter of a penalty goal late he could have banged over...kicking the ball dead...dropping the ball. Dead set he was dreadful. Not say DCE was great but jeez Thurston was terrible.

Oh he didn't have a good game once he got on the field, but again I reckon as Andrew Mc said they'd obviously trained with Cronk all week, DCE was only expected for a bit part role. Even when having a quality player on the bench losing your half back mid game (or early game) is a huge loss).

LOL What! Thurston was dead set abysmal! Missed 2 goals that he should have made at least 1...which would have meant the sitter of a penalty goal late he could have banged over...kicking the ball dead...dropping the ball. Dead set he was dreadful. Not say DCE was great but jeez Thurston was terrible.

and where did the first two tries and the possible third where boyd was held up come from?

i mentioned in the next post that he missed conversions and became a turnstile for Hayne, but all of QLD's attacking threats on the NSW tryline were going down his left-side.

and where did the first two tries and the possible third where boyd was held up come from?

i mentioned in the next post that he missed conversions and became a turnstile for Hayne, but all of QLD's attacking threats on the NSW tryline were going down his left-side.

They both came from Inglis, and frankly Thurston had a shocker. Dead set if he was better than a 3/10, I'm not here. Was shocking, DCE wasn't much better but Thurston overplayed his hand time and time again. Defensively I don't blame him as that is dud McQueen's job (who by the way should buy a lottery ticket on how he even made the squad). Dead set I'd have Parker kicking over Thurston this year, he has been missing goals all season!

JT sure was poor and so was DCE, despite him being a wonderful footballer.

Who will Daley bring in if Reynolds is suspended?

JT sure was poor and so was DCE, despite him being a wonderful footballer.

Who will Daley bring in if Reynolds is suspended?
Tough one. Mullen maybe. Or Sutton. No other real options I don't think, Maloney's form not good enough

He looked Sharp until the last 20 minutes, which sort of highlights it. His speed and his fitness isn't there, sort of understandable at his age, but I firmly believe that Chambers AND/OR Gagai should be in the side, even Justin O'Neil would be okay. Inglis needs the ball in his hands, not twidling his thumb in the centres.

Slater has a hole in his knee cartilage that hasn't been 100% since it got knocked in the World Cup and has been taking extra care of it in the build up this week.

Jake Friend is looking likely to wear the 14 next match and one of McQueen or Papalii will be making way for Thaiday.

Bird probably will play at 5/8. Nsw are up this is the safe option, farah , hodkinson and Hayne can kick
Reynolds was successful with his downgrade so he's clear for the next game.Tony Williams, on last night's form, will be the one to make way for Bird. Which surprises me because going into the game I thought either Beau Scott or Ryan Hoffman would make way for Bird.But those two were far more effective than Williams.

Williams is a spud so really I'm surprised to see him anywhere near the team, seriously he is picked just because he is 'big'
He was such a rampaging runner in 2011 & 2012.And yet, has never recaptured that form since he joined Canterbury.Had the occasional good game but nowhere near consistent enough to warrant staying in the Origin team.

Guys has anyone had to watch SOO while in Asia? Looking at the NRL international broadcast page it says all games shown on SetantaSportsPlus - I assume that includes Origin?

Gotta go to Sri Lanka on the 9th of June for work, and it's unknown whether I'll be back by the 18th at this stage. Stress levels risen slightly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, both teams are paying the price with injury problems.

Ripper game though
It is disappointing that neither team will be full strength for the next game.But that's the nature of contact sport I guess.
Whoever loses the series will trot out the old line: "But we had injuries.We'll flog you next year." Yawn.

Bad enough when club coaches say that. But for rep footie, considering all the players they have to choose from...

Most sane people wouldn't call (say) having to play GI at full-back cos Billy Slater was injured 'not being at full strength'.

Interesting who replaces the Morris brothers for NSW. Will Hopoate has been talked about, he's a decent player but hasn't hit his best yet. I wonder if Pat Richards get a gig.

If Gallen is injured I'd think they'd just slot Bird in for him

Interesting who replaces the Morris brothers for NSW. Will Hopoate has been talked about, he's a decent player but hasn't hit his best yet. I wonder if Pat Richards get a gig.

I thought Hopoate had been pretty good this season. Then I saw him get absolutely skinned for pace by a second-rower (!) last week! Are both Morris boys definitely out? That's a big blow. Pat Richards wouldn't let anyone down, and he's probably the best kicker off the tee in the world. And I know people bang on about pace, and how quick (say) Jennings is, and so on, but in a physical contest like Origin, how often do the opportunities arise to really use that pace?

Have heard Jack Wightons name thrown about as well, although he's been a bit shit this season (good work, Stuart), and apparently Dugan will be playing at centre for the Dragons tonight.

Have heard Jack Wightons name thrown about as well, although he's been a bit shit this season (good work, Stuart), and apparently Dugan will be playing at centre for the Dragons tonight.
Dugan playing at centre tonight.Handled the ball three times, passed the ball once in the first half (38th minute). He managed to go through the game against Parramatta without passing it at all, so his pass tonight was his first in 22 days.
Oh yeah Daley, pick him at right centre. No need to pick a winger though. Poor bastard would'nt see the ball.

Nope, He will play. He will do anything for NSW. If smith can do it for Storm. Gallen can do it for NSW. #uptheblues

You'd think Bird will come in either way. For Williams at least.

There's talk about Dugan taking the centre spot that Morris will vacate. I like Dugan as a player but I'd be really concerned about him marking directly against Inglis.

What's Hopoate's defence last? I must admit I've never really noticed.

You'd think Bird will come in either way. For Williams at least.

There's talk about Dugan taking the centre spot that Morris will vacate. I like Dugan as a player but I'd be really concerned about him marking directly against Inglis.

What's Hopoate's defence last? I must admit I've never really noticed.
Hopoate was made to look pretty ordinary in defence last week. He really needs to ace his act up tomorrow night.
Dugan playing at centre tonight.Handled the ball three times, passed the ball once in the first half (38th minute). He managed to go through the game against Parramatta without passing it at all, so his pass tonight was his first in 22 days.
Oh yeah Daley, pick him at right centre. No need to pick a winger though. Poor bastard would'nt see the ball.
On recent form, NO. Dugan's best hope of helping N.S.W win is to cheer loudly from the stands.
It was suggested on a different thread that Beau Scott could play centre. Good idea. And maybe, next to him on the wing, Luke Lewis. A couple of hard nuts to line up against Inglis. Lewis started out as a winger and Scott has played centre before so it's not beyond possible.
Frees up a spot in the forwards for Bird. Only issue left then is: Does T-Rex keep his spot ? I would'nt keep him but apparently Fifita is on the nose with the selectors and might not get a look-in.
Anyways, everyone has to survive this weekend first.

Lewis is wasted on the wing, better up the middle. We've got wing options who would do a good job (Taufua, McManus, Wighton, Hopoate, even Richards). Scott to centre could be an option though, would certainly help contain Inglis. Although it kills off the attack down that side a bit.

Do not like the idea of Dugan in the centres though, defensively frail and better as a link up man through the middle than a wide running guy.

I'm sure Bird will be picked, just a matter of who he replaces (I suspect Williams or even Luke Lewis, who hasn't looked fit so far this year). But if Gallen is injured it makes it a pretty easy swap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back