Rumour Fyfe new captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
Noticed that for years Pav has been the only player on the membership card. Now we have fyfe and pav for 2014. Would appear we may have joint captaincy in 2014 or being set up for a handover in 2015. No complaints from me if this is true.

P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed already. Couldn't find the thread. Been busy with work so been absent on here of late. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

I think I'd be a bit surprised if Fyfe is not our next captain. Seems the perfect role model like Pav and speaks very intelligently. Leads by example like Pav. Seems the perfect replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Undoubtedly it's to cement Nathan in everyone's mind as our marquee player for the rest of the decade - given that he isn't in the leadership group yet, it would be a bit of a stretch to catapult him immediately into the captaincy!

But perhaps it is time that a younger man is moved into the role of unofficial deputy to Pav for 2014. I don't think we've had an actual vice captain since Josh Carr flounced back to Adelaide at the end of 2008 - Sandilands and McPharlin have done well in the role, as has Mundy on the rare occasion he's had to, but in the interests of continuity of leadership I think either Fyfe himself or a Mayne or Barlow should be anointed.

And if Fyfe finds himself elected to the leadership group next year, then it sets us up ideally for him to take over eventually - either immediately upon Pav's retirement or perhaps after an interim year of someone like Mundy in 2015.

Am i too old school if I said I prefer the captain to be a senior player?
I don't think so. We've all seen plenty of Captains thrown in too young. I agree with FFC4ME that Mundy should be the Captain until Fyfe is eased into the role.

It'll be a perfect progression when it does happen, amazing player, great with the media, born and bred West Aussie golden boy. But shouldn't happen until the great man retires - out of respect.

Maybe Gentleman Jeff can enlighten us on David's captaincy aspersions? Im sure it would have been discussed over the Christmas Turkey.
Aspersions? Don't you mean aspirations?

Can't help you with what Gentleman Jeff would have thought.

Mundy's kind of admitted he's not the captain type, hasn't he?

Fyfe was on the AFL Membership this year for Freo allocation. I'd just say it's a marketing thing. Fresh faced, great player, eight seasons left of marketing exhaustion for the guy... it might mean something but it also might not. For things like memberships and ads, I'd say marketing guys have a say – I can't see the coaching staff caring about it.

People say captaincy for younger guys is a burden – but look at the clubs they're at: the Dees, Tiges, and Carlton. I'd say Fremantle have some mentally strong guys, and Fyfe isn't the guy to be weighed down by it all, but I think he is a bit too young. Let him go at his own pace and concentrate on just playing football.

Pav was the pin-up and lynchpin for years and Belly being captained was not a negative in Pavlich's book. It's the same with Fyfe.

In my opinion, Mayney should be captain for a few years. He's a workhorse. He runs himself into sickness, has that mental iron, speaks relatively well, is affable, and has that weirdly endearing way of talking to the media dicks that doesn't scream cliche and actually implies he's still giddy about playing for the Dockers. He's my next captain. I love the guy.

In my opinion, Mayney should be captain for a few years. He's a workhorse. He runs himself into sickness, has that mental iron, speaks relatively well, is affable, and has that weirdly endearing way of talking to the media dicks that doesn't scream cliche and actually implies he's still giddy about playing for the Dockers. He's my next captain. I love the guy.

Fyfe is an awesome player and I would have no issue about his being captain some day. It's probably inevitable. But I would like him to have a few more years of growing into his football before taking the captaincy.

I will admit, I am biased as Mayne is one of my favorite players. I do firmly believe though that he totally embodies the ethos of Ross Lyon football - he isn't always the flashiest guy out there, but he will bust his gut and do everything 110% to win the game for the club. Great role model both on and off the field, and he absolutely loves Freo. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure I remember Mundy saying how much he disliked talking to the media purely because he's a shy type. He does it every now and then and even though he is our best midfielder, he isn't really captain material. Can see Fyfe as a captain one day for sure but I also think he's still a tad young.

For me, if there had to be a captain between Pav and Fyfe, I would love to see Barlow as a captain; but then again I don't think he's in the leadership group either.

Said it before, I'll say it again. Fyfe is a stone cold certainty to be our next captain.
Has it all, in spades.

de Boer will be our captain. Crowley will retire and he'll be our number 1 tagger and will always get a game that way. Will captain like Lingy did and will lead us to a premiership!

de Boer will be our captain. Crowley will retire and he'll be our number 1 tagger and will always get a game that way. Will captain like Lingy did and will lead us to a premiership!

I also want de Boer to be our next captain. Reckon he'll respond to it well. Nate will continue to be Nate but Matt is a better club man as well as being hard at it on the field. If his improved fitness lets him come into the game a bit more, like Subes did this year, then I think they'll take a serious look at him.

I also want de Boer to be our next captain. Reckon he'll respond to it well. Nate will continue to be Nate but Matt is a better club man as well as being hard at it on the field. If his improved fitness lets him come into the game a bit more, like Subes did this year, then I think they'll take a serious look at him.

The fact we have so many captaincy potentials bodes well for the club. Fyfe, de Boer, Suban, and Mayne are all realistic chances. Ballantyne shot himself in the foot a little this year with some of his stupid stuff, but is still a club man down to the bone. Barlow and Spurr are also good long-shots for captaincy.

I'd be surprised if de Boer was our next captain. He may may possess required leadership skills but I'm not sold that he is best 22. He probably has enough on field stuff to focus on without worrying about being captain as well. I'm a fan of the Barlow - Fyfe transition.

Matt de Boer is probably one of the players under most pressure to hold his spot.
I cannot see our captain being a player who is not a guaranteed best 22.

Crowley as a transition captain before Barlow or Fyfe take over.

Either way, Pav will provide guidance as I tip him to be playing for us in 2016.

Matt de Boer is probably one of the players under most pressure to hold his spot.

Everyone always says this, and has since two years ago. But he never gets dropped. Suban and a few others were on the cutting block well before him this season.

Did they even take de Boer off as a sub this year??? He plays his role. Ross loves that. It's not glamorous, but someone needs to think of the team first, and he does this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back