Full Time - Australia - 1 dft. Uruguay - 0! WINNERS!

Remove this Banner Ad

IM SO EXCITED I COULD JUST....BURST OUT AND CRY!! MUHEHEHEHEHE!!

COME ON AUSSIE COME ON COME ON!!

OH AND BTW....DAMN THAT PENALTY WAS A KILLER TO WATCH...BUT IM ENJOYING THE AFTERMATH...BRING ON NEXT WEEK BABY!! :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by joshhem
Is this what the world cup's like? If so i can't wait till we make it ;)

Yes, it's the greatest sporting event in the world, even better than the Olympics IMHO.

Lets just hope we make it, us Australian soccer fans have suffered too much heartbreak over the years, we need this!

Bloody exciting! Must of been fantastic to see the game live at the MCG. Even better news is that FIFA has said that this is the last world cup where we will have to play other Continents to quality for the world cup. From now on we just have to be the best in the Oceania division

Originally posted by GoEagles
Bloody exciting! Must of been fantastic to see the game live at the MCG. Even better news is that FIFA has said that this is the last world cup where we will have to play other Continents to quality for the world cup. From now on we just have to be the best in the Oceania division

Where did you hear this?? :confused:

Oh and by the way ... great win Aussie. Now just have to back it up with a similar result. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's great to be up 1-nil, but I can't help feeling that Australia has blown it again.

With our total dominance for most of that match, we really should have had more than one goal to show for it. All those corners that we got ... and nothing to show for them.

I thought Uraguay looked a lot more dangerous on the rare occasions that they attacked. Australia stuffed around too much. Too many turnovers. And too many easy saves for their goalie. They just weren't crossing the ball in a way that would put pressure on.

I reckon, to be reasonably confident of over-all success, we really needed a 2-nil win. I was desperately hoping we'd score a second goal late in the match, but as it was, they almost equalized.

It's going to be a very long 90 minutes next week trying to defend a one goal lead ... but if we can score once we should be right.

Well, it was always going to be hard with Uruguay playing what looked to be a 8-1-1 formation :rolleyes:

The good thing is that now Uruguay CANNOT afford to get everyone back behind the ball in the second leg. They have to take chances to create goals, and this means it will be easier for us to attack.

It's just like going into halftime leading 1-0. You will have an advantage for sure, but you can still blow it.

Originally posted by Dippers Donuts
this game is the most ****in boring game in the world

You would so not say that if you were there. Being in a crowd of 80 odd thousand with 99% of the crowd supporting one team is amazing. There's nothing like it.

Everyone standing up singing the national anthem, screaming the chants, clapping...............even Angry Anderson's little speech gave me goose bumps!

Makes you so proud to be Australian.

Alf, I think your pessimism is a little unfounded.

Yes, Australia had more chances, but as has been pointed out, Viduka and later Agostino had four and five defenders to beat each time.

Our attacks in Montevideo will come more often on the break, opening up space and opportunities for Kewell and Emerton to create better chances down the wings. With a bit less traffic in the middle, Agostino and Viduka should be able to get their heads to a few more balls.

I do think we'll have to score, but it should be remembered that we haven't managed a goal in open play for the past two weeks. We still have to improve to get the result we need over there.

But I'm confident with Agostino starting up front and Harry on the left, we can get the goal we need. Defensively we've been much better than I expected - the blue filth of Moore and Vidmar have been excellent, and Schwartzer is faultless thus far (except when he gets a back pass onto his left foot *shudder*).

Much prefer to be on this side of a 1-0 line at present.

Originally posted by Danny Chook Fan Club
Alf, I think your pessimism is a little unfounded.

Yes, Australia had more chances, but as has been pointed out, Viduka and later Agostino had four and five defenders to beat each time.

Our attacks in Montevideo will come more often on the break, opening up space and opportunities for Kewell and Emerton to create better chances down the wings. With a bit less traffic in the middle, Agostino and Viduka should be able to get their heads to a few more balls.

I do think we'll have to score, but it should be remembered that we haven't managed a goal in open play for the past two weeks. We still have to improve to get the result we need over there.

But I'm confident with Agostino starting up front and Harry on the left, we can get the goal we need. Defensively we've been much better than I expected - the blue filth of Moore and Vidmar have been excellent, and Schwartzer is faultless thus far (except when he gets a back pass onto his left foot *shudder*).

Much prefer to be on this side of a 1-0 line at present.

Excellent summary DCFC

Agostino has to start - that was my view all week.

some of stan's corners were ordinary.

Viduka really needs to lift and work harder - Emily Heskey like

Kewell and Recoba were a class above the rest

I reckon that was the best refereeing display I have ever seen - hardly made a mistake and was CONSISTENT which was fantastic

Interesting to see what happens next week in front of 100,000 insane Uraguayans.

QT - muscat even did one of his special tackles for you!!!

Fantastic night....best atmosphere I've ever experienced at a sporting event. The national anthem was brilliant stuff, 85,000 roaring it out - made me very proud to be an Aussie.

Uruguay are a boring side with little creativity other than Recoba. They are very disciplined, but will have to change tactics on Monday, while we should be more settled.

Agostino has to start and Kewell on the flank, Laza had a disappointing game. Emerton also needs to get the ball in quicker, and stop trying to backheel past 5 defenders.

The back 4 were excellent however - particularly Moore, who was BOG I thought. But a magic night, I'm very hungover - but the celebrations were very sweet!

Originally posted by Jars458

I reckon that was the best refereeing display I have ever seen - hardly made a mistake and was CONSISTENT which was fantastic

The ref was awesome :D :D :D Or is that because we won......

The scenes from after Muscat scored to the final whistle I will never forget - Australia at its best. I was sitting, in M1, where the Green and Gold Army were, and I'd lost my voice before half time. The amount of atmosphere in my area was tremendous. How did it seem from elsewhere? After watching the recording of the match, we did make ourselves heard, thank-you very much, Mr Ivan Speck. Tops the Iran game as the best sporting night of my life. I'll never forget it.

Well said DCFC.

I didn't see enough in Uruguay last night to be all that worried about next week. Obviously it's going to be tough, but i'm pretty sure that we can get a goal. Agostino must start and Emerton has to be told to stop running at every opponent, just cross the bloody thing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back