Strategy Full Commitment for the SANFL Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I know we haven't clinched a spot yet, but we should be changing our focus towards the SANFL. It is our best chance for a flag, and we should put our main resources available into winning the state league.

We should see what are the best players that can still make the squad and make them play in the Twos. I don't have the data with me, but, if I am not mistaken, Dixon cannot play for the Power without denying him a spot in the Magpies Finals squad. Hence, he shouldn't do it.

Those that have already clinched, should get call-ups, just like Sutcliffe had, so they could PRACTICE against the best teams in the country. This would help them develop their game before the Finals.

Also, we should put games in some SANFL-only players for the same reason: making them ready.

We exist to win premierships. We shouldn't be ashamed of going for it.

Losing to the Bombers this week will deliver the hammer blow, if so then the SANFL will be our only chance to get a shiny metallic cup into Alberton this year. I'd say it's worth it.

Oh how I would laugh at the supporters of other clubs after the magpies won another league premiership when they would say “yeah but we won the reserves”

This players may still qualify for playing for the Magpies in the SANFL Finals:
Kane Farrell
Jack Trengove
Billy Frampton
Cameron Sutcliffe
Riley Grundy
Tobin Cox
Matthew Broadbent
Willem Drew
Jarrod Lienert
Charlie Dixon
Jack Watts

In order to qualify, Lienert and Dixon (and Watts) cannot play for the Power this season, and must play all the remaining games for the Maggies. Drew may play this week, but if he does, he must also play all the remaining games for the Maggies.

All the details can be found here:

1st priority has to always be the AFL side.

Always

Provided the AFL side is going somewhere. I want to see another Port Premiership I do not care what and where it is I want something to celebrate. Our last senior flag was 15 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SANFL is a joke. It's our training and development academy, nothing more and nothing less.

Placing a priority on the competition goes against the grain of the last 30 years
When we start seeing reserves grade premierships as a priority we may as well just fold.
It simply means that the first team has failed THIS season. Why betting on a sinking ship? Hop on the boat and go on...

It simply means that the first team has failed THIS season. Why betting on a sinking ship? Hop on the boat and go on...

A big reason we are a club under so much pressure on and off the field is the shackles of the SANFL.............including the SANFL muppets on the board

Die a slow death SANFuks

A big reason we are a club under so much pressure on and off the field is the shackles of the SANFL.............including the SANFL muppets on the board

Die a slow death SANFuks
We aren't arguing on the merits of the SA state football league. SANFL can die for all that I care. Meanwhile though, we are still playing in the tournament. Winning it should be one of our goals.

I liked this but now I'm thinking .... Wouldn't winning make the community proud? Therefore it doesn't beat it it creates it.
img_1555153240730-jpg.656037

By the way, I have written on the importance of a winning Magpies here:

We aren't arguing on the merits of the SA state football league. SANFL can die for all that I care. Meanwhile though, we are still playing in the tournament. Winning it should be one of our goals.

Exactly right. The SANFL may stink but winning their Premiership, something that they have conspired to stop us doing, would be an achievement and it would piss them off no end.

I would sooner see colour photos of Port players holding the cup and TV news reports of Magpies players unveiling the chimney. Only a masochist would want to see Bay players or even worse Crow players doing these things.

We exist to win Premierships, so go for it and the community can get stuffed.

How many national + state titles does Gremio have GremioPower? How many of those state titles have you won since the Serie A national league started in 1971?

When Scolari was coach, and I guess all the other Gremio coaches, what was their attitude towards winning state titles if they couldn't win the national title? did they drop players down late in the season?

How many national + state titles does Gremio have GremioPower? How many of those state titles have you won since the Serie A national league started in 1971?

When Scolari was coach, and I guess all the other Gremio coaches, what was their attitude towards winning state titles if they couldn't win the national title? did they drop players down late in the season?

Brazilian soccer championships are a complicated issue. I am in a minority of ONE, regarding the way titles are counted. Let me explain.

In 1971, the Brazilian FA (CBF) took charge of the national championship. A few years ago, CBF recognized as national titles the tournaments held between 1967 and 1970, called "Roberto Gomes Pedrosa/Robertão/Taça de Prata."

However, this tournament hasn't started in 1967, but in 1950. The tournament was born as "Taça Rio-São Paulo", being renamed "Roberto Gomes Pedrosa" a few years later, and included only São Paulo and the city of Rio de Janeiro (then, a state of its own).

In 1967, the "Roberto Gomes Pedrosa" EXPANDED to include clubs from other states. Still, it was the same tournament, even with the same name. So, I count all the titles from 1950 onwards; the same way the AFL does with the old VFL premierships.

Having said that, CBF hasn't recognized only the 1967-1970 titles. It also considered the Cup titles between 1959-1968 as natitonal titles. The Cup, "Taça Brasil," was created to decide the Brazilian champion, who would represent the country in the then-newly-created Copa Libertadores. It was a "Champions Cup", in which all the state champions played knockout series against each other. It was discontinued after 1968.

So, in both cases, my opinion is that CBF has merely recognized the obvious. Still, they didn't recognize it enough.

Not only CBF has failed to recognize that the national championship began in 1950, but also did not recognize the Cup titles from the current cup, "Copa do Brasil," established in 1989 - precisely to decide a spot in Copa Libertadores, along with the one given to the Brazilian League champion. In that regard, league and cup were equal.

Moreover, when it was established, Copa do Brasil was a knockout tournament involving all the state champions (and some runner-ups). It was a faithful adaptation of the old "Taça Brasil." How CBF and EVERYBODY ELSE can possibly differentiate the two tournaments is beyond me.

Now, answering your question, Gremio has 7 national titles: 2 Leagues (1981/1996), and 5 Cups (1989/1994/1997/2001/2016). We have 38 state championships. We have joined the national league in 1967. Since then, we have won the state league 21 times.

Brazilian soccer championships are a complicated issue. I am in a minority of ONE, regarding the way titles are counted. Let me explain.

In 1971, the Brazilian FA (CBF) took charge of the national championship. A few years ago, CBF recognized as national titles the tournaments held between 1967 and 1970, called "Roberto Gomes Pedrosa/Robertão/Taça de Prata."

However, this tournament hasn't started in 1967, but in 1950. The tournament was born as "Taça Rio-São Paulo", being renamed "Roberto Gomes Pedrosa" a few years later, and included only São Paulo and the city of Rio de Janeiro (then, a state of its own).

In 1967, the "Roberto Gomes Pedrosa" EXPANDED to include clubs from other states. Still, it was the same tournament, even with the same name. So, I count all the titles from 1950 onwards; the same way the AFL does with the old VFL premierships.

Having said that, CBF hasn't recognized only the 1967-1970 titles. It also considered the Cup titles between 1959-1968 as natitonal titles. The Cup, "Taça Brasil," was created to decide the Brazilian champion, who would represent the country in the then-newly-created Copa Libertadores. It was a "Champions Cup", in which all the state champions played knockout series against each other. It was discontinued after 1968.

So, in both cases, my opinion is that CBF has merely recognized the obvious. Still, they didn't recognize it enough.

Not only CBF has failed to recognize that the national championship began in 1950, but also did not recognize the Cup titles from the current cup, "Copa do Brasil," established in 1989 - precisely to decide a spot in Copa Libertadores, along with the one given to the Brazilian League champion. In that regard, league and cup were equal.

Moreover, when it was established, Copa do Brasil was a knockout tournament involving all the state champions (and some runner-ups). It was a faithful adaptation of the old "Taça Brasil." How CBF and EVERYBODY ELSE can possibly differentiate the two tournaments is beyond me.

Now, answering your question, Gremio has 7 national titles: 2 Leagues (1981/1996), and 5 Cups (1989/1994/1997/2001/2016). We have 38 state championships. We have joined the national league in 1967. Since then, we have won the state league 21 times.
What about my other question.

What about my other question.

Scolari won the state championship in 1995 and 1996. During those days, the first semester had the Libertadores, the Copa do Brasil, and the state leagues. In the second semester, we would play the national league and Conmebol's SuperCopa [with all the Libertadores champions].

We would say that we couldn't care less about the state title. The club's president at the time even said: "Libertadores is the main course; Copa do Brasil is the dessert; and the state league is the coffee afterwards." This would go until, of course, we have won it. Then, everybody would crowd the streets and celebrate like we have won the universe. Best.Coffee.Ever! :D

Usually, the reserves play many state league games; mainly at the beginning, so the first team can extend the preseason. However, when the Finals begin, then the main team plays it no matter what.

The 1995 season was an exception. The reserve team was so good, that Scolari allowed it to play even the Grand Final against Internacional (1-1; 2-1). I was 14 years old at the time. It was so SWEET! Here, the highlights of the title game:

Still, in 1996, the first team played the Grand Final. After losing both the Libertadores and the Copa do Brasil semifinals, Scolari didn't want to risk anything. We won both legs against EC Juventude: 3-0; and 4-0. Here, the highlights of the title game:

Another exception was in 2017, when we send the reserves for a Libertadores away match [they honorably got a draw], so the first team could focus on the state league semifinals. Grêmio had won only three state leagues since the 2001 title. So, the state championship became a priority. Unfortunately, we ended up being eliminated at home against a minnow [EC Novo Hamburgo, who fortunately also beat Internacional in the final!].

We are currently the league holders, having won it both in 2018 and 2019.

The 2018 Final (away against GE Brasil - first leg: Grêmio 4-0)

The 2019 Final (home against SC Internacional - first leg: 0-0)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back