Foxtel Cup 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

And that's it! The Storm only scored one point in the final term but they held on by four!

West Adelaide 2.1 4.4 7.4 8.9 (57)
Western Storm 4.2 7.4 9.6 9.7 (61)

probably would've played a stronger team if we still had byes, but no matter. good hit out for a lot of kids who probably won't get another chance at senior footy this season. by the looks of things the storm had many more senior bodies, and we just got outclassed by an older, stronger, classier unit.

West losing this match by fielding a team of kids is a disgrace, just like Norwood losing to East Freo in the first match last year (nothing to do with the $20 I had on them for the cup lol). You'd think with a $100k prize they'd want to have a serious crack at it, especially when they're crying poor and being fined for salary cap breaches.

Just a heads up, next Tuesday night's match (06/05) between the VFL's Box Hill Hawks (Hawthorn affiliate) and the WAFL's West Perth Falcons, will be broadcast on radio from 8pm (Melb time).

In Melbourne (especially the inner east), 3WBC 94.1 FM will be doing the call and relaying the coverage in Perth on 91.3 Sport FM.

West losing this match by fielding a team of kids is a disgrace, just like Norwood losing to East Freo in the first match last year (nothing to do with the $20 I had on them for the cup lol). You'd think with a $100k prize they'd want to have a serious crack at it, especially when they're crying poor and being fined for salary cap breaches.
No regular byes in the SANFL this year, so Westies must've decided they would try getting away with playing a weak side first up.
A bit embarassing for them, but not as bad as Port losing to Morningside a couple of years back, haha.

I do hope though Norwood take the best possible lineup to Perth this year as a) we don't have much depth this year and b) the SANFL vs VFL game is on the following weekend, so there effectively is a bye straight afterwards.

No regular byes in the SANFL this year, so Westies must've decided they would try getting away with playing a weak side first up.
A bit embarassing for them, but not as bad as Port losing to Morningyside a couple of years back, haha.

I do hope though Norwood take the best possible lineup to Perth this year as a) we don't have much depth this year and b) the SANFL vs VFL game is on the following weekend, so there effectively is a bye straight afterwards.
Yep the Port loss to the banana benders was pretty disappointing. Brendon AhChee's first game out of reserves IIRC. We don't have to worry about that comp again anyway.

I have a very close source from within the NFC that they expected to beat East Freo last year with a half strength team and were very much surprised at the result and obviously embarrassed. They'll be going harder this year so maybe whack a few bucks on them mate.

I have a very close source from within the NFC that they expected to beat East Freo last year with a half strength team and were very much surprised at the result and obviously embarrassed. They'll be going harder this year so maybe whack a few bucks on them mate.
I'll keep an eye on the odds ;)
If they do take it seriously and get up, then the bonus may well be a semi-final in Adelaide.

Another good game that again went right down to the wire. Well done Falcons.

West Perth ........ 2.0 ... 4.7 ... 5.9 .... 7.11-53
Box Hill Hawks ... 0.4 ... 1.6 ... 5.7 .... 7.9-51

Goals:
WP: M.Adams, R.Bartholomew, A.Black, S.Brown, M.Johnson, R.Kerr, A.Tsalikis
BH: J.Sicily 3, B.Ross 3, D.Willsmore

West Perth now plays Western Storm at Patersons Stadium in the 1st Semi Final on June 24.

I haven't heard anyone from West complaining about 3 games in 8 days, and so I reckon that they didn't request a bye for their Foxtel cup game. That means West basically decided that they wouldn't take the comp seriously and/or they already knew that the draw had them playing the Tasmanian side and felt like their reserves could beat them.

Whereas Norwood certainly did request a bye (there was a bit of a kerfuffle regarding the 2013 SANFL draw and our Foxtel Cup game) so in turn that hopefully means we're taking it seriously. Obviously we won't play anyone picked to play in the state team (and anyone who's pulled up sore from the previous Friday), but touch wood it'll be full-strength otherwise.

The ongoing existence of the Foxtel Cup keeps the dream alive that I might see Norwood play a game of footy in Sydney one day! (The chances of that happening could be described optimistically as '1% of 1%', as first a non-AFL-reserves Sydney-based side would need to make the NEAFL grand final.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No upset tonight but Aspley were only 3 goals down early in the last qtr until Willy kicked away.

Williamstown ..... 4.1 .... 5.4 .... 9.7 .... 14.9 (93)
Aspley .............. 1.2 .... 4.3 .... 5.5 .... 7.6 (48)

Goals:
Williamstown: A.Marcon 3, Owen 3, Clouston 2, D.Conway 2, J.Johnstone, Gibbons, Tighe, Nastasi
Aspley: J.Nelis, J.Williams, R.Matthews, C.French, A.Hughes, M.Hughes, M.Payne

http://sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2505/

Norwood has declared it is ‘’in it to win it’’ as it starts its Foxtel Cup campaign against East Perth at Patersons Stadium on Tuesday night. Set to be without a string of senior stars for the trip across the Nullarbor, the Redlegs will still field a side featuring several players who have played league football.

‘’We certainly want it to be known that we are in it to win it,’’ Norwood football manager Mark Ross said.

‘’But it is just unfortunate that when you are in the competition, you don’t where you are going to play and playing in Perth means we are gone for two days so there are guys who just can’t play due to work.

‘’And being the week of the State game as well has an influence.’’

Consistent defender Jace Bode is unavailable due to playing for the SANFL against the VFL at Port Melbourne on Saturday.

But Simon Phillips, who was named in the initial West End State squad, will captain the Redlegs against the Royals.

Regular skipper Kieran McGuinness, triple Magarey Medallist James Allan, Matt Panos, Tim Webber and Josh Donohue are among those who were unable to get time off work for the clash.

Former Brisbane Lion Callum Bartlett will make his comeback from a shoulder injury while other league regulars Liam Davis, Alex Forster, Kane Murphy, Steve Baldasso and Tulio DeMatteis will line-up at the Subiaco venue.

Key forward Michael Newton and wingman Kristian Roocke will be Norwood’s travelling emergencies.

Set to confront last year’s WAFL premier, Norwood will be looking to go one better after being bundled out in the first round of last year’s Foxtel Cup.

‘’We don’t know enough about East Perth to really worry too much about what they are going to do,’’ Ross said.

‘’It’s more about the guys who are playing for us, making sure that they stick to the Norwood structures and the way we want to play. We need to bring some heat to make sure the game goes in our direction.’’

FOXTEL CUP ROUND ONE
East Perth v Norwood
Patersons Stadium, 8.05pm Tuesday (SA time)

NORWOOD
F: Phillips, Luccon, Persinos
HF: Murphy, Davis, A. Wilson
C: DeMatteis, Bartlett, T. Forster
HB: Nunn, A. Forster, O’Connor
B: Baldasso, Levicki, Auciello

R: Clarke, Reavley, Reinbrecht
INT: Giannini, Clayton, McKay, Bower
EMG: Roocke, Newton, Hallandal

East Perth won easily by 50 pts.

The main news from the game is the sickening collision between Scott Lycett and Brant Colledge. Brant Colledge copped a knee to the jaw just before the final siren and was stretchered off. Hopefully he is okay.

"In it to win it" my arse
Agree, the talk was just that and in the end simply embarassing.
Can't fault the effort of the very inexperienced side that played, but they were clearly never going to compete against the side that East Perth fielded.
Either a bad error of judgement or there never was any intent to take the comp seriously.
Shouldn't bother accepting an invite ever again if fielding a reserves side remains the plan.

The whole "debutants vs AFL players" excuse a lot of Norwood supporters are throwing around doesn't float for me. The Foxtel Cup draw was released in November last year - surely 6 months notice is sufficient to bed down which players would be available (subject to U18 and senior State team selections)? $100k prizemoney is nothing to be sneezed at for any club and if I was a member I'd be wanting my team to be going at 100% to win it. Resting a player or two during the regular season shouldn't cost any decent team worth its salt the SANFL premiership or finals appearance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back