Foxtel Cup 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
Assuming the top SA clubs join in next year then I'm guessing the 16 clubs participating next year will come from the following:

VFL (4*) - Port Melbourne, Williamstown*, Northern Bullants, Werribee

SANFL (3) - Central District, Norwood, Woodville-West Torrens

WAFL (3) - Claremont, Subiaco, West Perth

NEAFL (4) - NT Thunder, Ainslie, Sydney Swans Ressies, Morningside

TFL (1) - Launceston

AFLSyd (1) - East Coast Eagles

*- Williamstown reigning Foxtel Cup champion

Did the AFL Sydney get a spot for 2012? remember reading somewhere a couple of months ago that they were going to give the WAFL a 4th spot instead.

I would have thought with the NEAFL in place there would be no AFL Sydney spot. The idea, surely, will be to bring a leading Sydney club or two intop the NEAFL Eastern conference at some stage. Maybe three, so the Eastern and Northern conferences have the same number of teams.
Maybe they will leave an AFL Sydney side in until then, given they can't qualify via NEAFL and undoubtedly the AFL would want a guaranteed Sydney presence.

I would have thought with the NEAFL in place there would be no AFL Sydney spot. The idea, surely, will be to bring a leading Sydney club or two intop the NEAFL Eastern conference at some stage. Maybe three, so the Eastern and Northern conferences have the same number of teams.
Maybe they will leave an AFL Sydney side in until then, given they can't qualify via NEAFL and undoubtedly the AFL would want a guaranteed Sydney presence.
East Coast Eagles & Sydney Uni are apparently joining the NEAFL Eastern conference next year.

I reckon the teams suggested are about right except the Swans ressies will not be in it and instead a Pacific team will be put in. I read a news article saying that the Pacific Islands team was happening.

Lets hope they get drawn against either Launceston or East Coast Eagles who will only beat them by 20 goals, not a 250-0 type score the big clubs would beat them by.

In my opinion, if the AFL wants to go down the path of Pacific Islands, then they should do it properly and enter a team in the NEAFL instead of a one game situation where they will be embarrassed on national TV.

I reckon though they ought to go to PNG first, quite a few cashed up mining companies with Aussie managers that would sponsor a team so they could watch some decent footy in Moresby every fortnight, and there is more evidence of talent up there...

East Coast are firmly focused on their NEAFL debut, so why not hand their spot to Albury Tigers? They've won 3 in a row in arguably the strongest country league (With due respect to GV, Geelong, etc) and have the cattle and depth to have a crack..

Pacific Islands ... *sigh*

I wonder when the "league championship cup" will actually become the league championship cup...?

I wonder if they'll ever expect a WAFL team to fly all the way over there - or vice versa.

Pacific Islands aside, I felt Mighty Tiges is close to the answer.

Yes, 2 Sydney AFL sides might well be joing the NEAFL in 2012 - but the qualification has to be based on 2011 results - hence its only fair Sydney AFL premiers get a spot for 2012.

I had read at some point that NT were told that for a NT side to compete in 2012 they would have to earn it - so I'd be pretty confident that an automatic invitation for NT Thunder is out of the question from now on - top 2 of each NEAFL conference makes perfect sense to me.

That said, where do the Sydney Swans reserves get their extra players from to make numbers - are they part of the scheme of taking "not required" players from other teams each week - might not be practical for them to compete in foxtel cup for that reason alone.

I also read that the top 4 WAFL were going to be invited - but I don't see how this could be done without inviting top 4 SANFL as well - unless they don't want it.

That said, where do the Sydney Swans reserves get their extra players from to make numbers - are they part of the scheme of taking "not required" players from other teams each week - might not be practical for them to compete in foxtel cup for that reason alone.

Same place we did in 2011.. Our academy make up the non afl contingent now not ACT top up's and if we've earned our place we'll take it.

Pacific Islands aside, I felt Mighty Tiges is close to the answer.

Yes, 2 Sydney AFL sides might well be joing the NEAFL in 2012 - but the qualification has to be based on 2011 results - hence its only fair Sydney AFL premiers get a spot for 2012.

I had read at some point that NT were told that for a NT side to compete in 2012 they would have to earn it - so I'd be pretty confident that an automatic invitation for NT Thunder is out of the question from now on - top 2 of each NEAFL conference makes perfect sense to me.

I also read that the top 4 WAFL were going to be invited - but I don't see how this could be done without inviting top 4 SANFL as well - unless they don't want it.

The SANFL didn't exactly earn their extra spot given they could only beat teams from Queensland, Canberra and Sydney.

The SANFL didn't exactly earn their extra spot given they could only beat teams from Queensland, Canberra and Sydney.
We only sent 3 of our bottom 4...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckn what should happen is that the Foxtel Cup have a Div 1 & 2 system, the bottom 2 clubs in Div 1 relegated & the grand finalists in Div 2 promoted.

This is how it should be like:

DIVISION 1

4 VFL clubs
4 WAFL clubs
3 SANFL clubs
1 TSL club
1 NEAFL club

DIVISION 2

1 VCFL club
1 VAFA club
1 SAAFL club
1 NT club
1 ACT club

East Coast are firmly focused on their NEAFL debut, so why not hand their spot to Albury Tigers? They've won 3 in a row in arguably the strongest country league (With due respect to GV, Geelong, etc) and have the cattle and depth to have a crack..

We might get to see that at this year’s local best of the best tournament... Top 7 premier metro teams AND top 7 premier country teams have been invited to do battle in this year’s battle... Albury, Shepparton United, Redan and Bell Park along with South Warrnambool and a few others have been sent invitations. Metro has Noble Park, Collegians, Strathmore, Bundoora, and Spotswood who have all shown interest in the pre-season hit out along with St. Pauls and Romsey... Shaping up to be a specular day...

So we just assume that they warrant more spots just because their best clubs wimped it?

Is there any guarantee that they won't pack another sooky sooky la la next year as well anyway?
Nope, absolutely none. There is no guarantee that the best SANFL teams will play, if you don't make it financially worth their while to play. Funny, that.

And yes, the best sides didn't play in 2011 because they were really scared they would lose all self-respect and have to fold if they lost to East Perth or Williamstown or something. Just as Carlton went into a self-imposed 10-year hiatus from the VFL, after their 1976 Wills Cup result against Norwood.

Nope, absolutely none. There is no guarantee that the best SANFL teams will play, if you don't make it financially worth their while to play. Funny, that.

And yes, the best sides didn't play in 2011 because they were really scared they would lose all self-respect and have to fold if they lost to East Perth or Williamstown or something. Just as Carlton went into a self-imposed 10-year hiatus from the VFL, after their 1976 Wills Cup result against Norwood.

The AFL wont bow to SANFL extortion on this issue, there hasnt been a single contrite word from HQ about increasing the prize money to encourage the elitist SA clubs to come on board. Probably because the AFL is already ticked at the fact their funding comes by way of bankrupting Port Adelaides AFL franchise, and their guaranteed dividend. Not to mention the AFL and SANFL have never been happy bed fellows and well...

The 1976 cup and the foxtel cup are not even close to being the same.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Clubs wait for Foxtel Cup details

by: Kym Morgan
November 10, 2011 4:15PM

NORWOOD and the Eagles will await more detail before deciding whether to play in the 2012 Foxtel Cup but Central has virtually ruled out playing.

The SANFL is yet to receive details on the 2012 competition but it is likely the top three clubs - who all rejected offers to play in the competition in 2011 - would again receive first bite at the cherry next year.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...xtel-cup-details/story-e6freckc-1226191640244

ah adelaide. where time stands still for all

They really struggle to see the big picture don't they. Centrals etc should enter, rest a couple of their guns in the early rounds and give a promising 17 year old a chance to play on national TV.

Claremont showed that they can perform admirably in the Foxtel Cup and still win the WAFL premiership. Their brand is now more well known Australia wide and I hear one or two of their blokes may get picked up as mature age recruits. Foxtel Cup would have only enhanced their chances. Well done Tigers.

The top SANFL clubs need to get over themselves and stop acting in such an insular manner.

The AFL wont bow to SANFL extortion on this issue, there hasnt been a single contrite word from HQ about increasing the prize money to encourage the elitist SA clubs to come on board.
Whether 'we plan to increase the budget, and we're hoping they come on board' counts as "contrition" is I suppose a topic that only you're interested in. I guess you should call the Federal Police yourself to alert them to the fact that the AFL is about to fall victim to an extortion racket (subject to budget approval). The AFL dude has been paraphrased a bit, but I count 24 actual words.
Probably because the AFL is already ticked at the fact their funding comes by way of bankrupting Port Adelaides AFL franchise, and their guaranteed dividend. Not to mention the AFL and SANFL have never been happy bed fellows and well...
Just standard practice with most corporations. Their major source of cashflow comes from bankrupting businesses they co-own. Say, you got an MBA sittin' on that wall of yours?
The 1976 cup and the foxtel cup are not even close to being the same.
What? You're not allowed to name a club interstate footy comp after a cigarette company any more? This isn't the 1984 I was promised.

Whether 'we plan to increase the budget, and we're hoping they come on board' counts as "contrition" is I suppose a topic that only you're interested in. I guess you should call the Federal Police yourself to alert them to the fact that the AFL is about to fall victim to an extortion racket (subject to budget approval). The AFL dude has been paraphrased a bit, but I count 24 actual words.

Ah yes, the old quote an article that was published days after i wrote stuff trick. Note that I wrote that on October 31, and the article you quote came out on November 3. I'll try to clear up that crystal ball. Doesnt mention bowing down to SANFL demands, and it was understood that last year was always a trial.

Just standard practice with most corporations. Their major source of cashflow comes from bankrupting businesses they co-own. Say, you got an MBA sittin' on that wall of yours?

This will be news to most sporting bodies, and big news for the AFL who obviously expect otherwise.

Ah yes, the old quote an article that was published days after i wrote stuff trick. Note that I wrote that on October 31, and the article you quote came out on November 3. I'll try to clear up that crystal ball. Doesnt mention bowing down to SANFL demands, and it was understood that last year was always a trial.
Funny, in most people's universes the word "won't", a contraction of "will not", is a prediction as to future behaviour. As in, for example, the sentence:

The AFL wont bow to SANFL extortion on this issue
A prediction that remained uncontradicted by a published article for 72 whole hours. Impressive stuff. And, I shouldn't be callous, your self-defence mechanism is perfectly technically correct: that article never contains the exact phrase, "We, the AFL, intend to bow to the SANFL's extortion on this issue". How do you get so good at this future-telling stuff? And are you related to one of those mythical Japanese soldiers who were still fighting WWII in the jungles of SE Asia into the 1960s, having been convinced that the 'it's all over, we surrendered' airdropped leaflets were a Yankee trick?

Who says its not a logically planned increase based on the success of the last competition? You cant say otherwise and its not written anywhere either. It doesnt have to be a response to anything other than that.

And it doesnt change anything about the top SANFL clubs having a cry...oh wait - i mean staying focussed on the SANFL premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back