Former player Michael Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Talia is going to be an absolute gun, he got his possessions on the weekend by running to the right spots, I don't buy into the whole "opposition let him rack them up", yeah Tomlinson (pretty sure he was on him the whole day right?) must be real happy with his 8 disposal, 0 goal game because at least he let his opponent have 30 touches.

Talia is going to be an absolute gun, he got his possessions on the weekend by running to the right spots, I don't buy into the whole "opposition let him rack them up", yeah Tomlinson (pretty sure he was on him the whole day right?) must be real happy with his 8 disposal, 0 goal game because at least he let his opponent have 30 touches.

Even if they did 'let him rack them up'. It backfired, given Talia used it pretty well and got the medal for best on ground.
I think his numbers were inflated slightly from him really standing up after JJ went down. Which is actually impressive in itself.
I would play Talia every week even with his footskills. Too good to leave out, and he really seems to be making good decisions, trying not to let his footskills be exposed.

Yeah I don't agree with the "let him rack it up" crap either. Reality is he has averaged 23 disposals this year while keeping his direct opponent to just 4 goals total in 5 games. So yeah I'm sure his opponent is letting him rack it up while they're playing such an effective game

I would play Talia every week even with his footskills. Too good to leave out, and he really seems to be making good decisions, trying not to let his footskills be exposed.
Yeah definitely, he probably already offers more than Marko and Austin and he obviously has a heap more upside, not sure what to do when Young comes back but no way would I be dropping Talia. He does seem to make the right decisions most of the time and I've definitely noticed an improvement in his disposal, he actually has something which resembles a ball drop now :p most of the time anyway, still tends to just drop it when he's going for a long booming kick. But I definitely think he will get it to an acceptable level if he just keeps working hard.

Also those stats godoggies just posted are very very good, his main job is to keep his opponent quiet and under one goal a game is awesome, the 23 possessions he racks up are just a bonus! Can't forget his one percenters and marks too.

I've always thought he was going to be good but he has even surprised me this year!

Yeah definitely, he probably already offers more than Marko and Austin and he obviously has a heap more upside, not sure what to do when Young comes back but no way would I be dropping Talia. He does seem to make the right decisions most of the time and I've definitely noticed an improvement in his disposal, he actually has something which resembles a ball drop now :p most of the time anyway, still tends to just drop it when he's going for a long booming kick. But I definitely think he will get it to an acceptable level if he just keeps working hard.

Also those stats godoggies just posted are very very good, his main job is to keep his opponent quiet and under one goal a game is awesome, the 23 possessions he racks up are just a bonus! Can't forget his one percenters and marks too.

I've always thought he was going to be good but he has even surprised me this year!

The same directive for his brother.

Really loving Talia now. Still a bit heart in mouth when he gets the ball in defense but he's much more effective with it then last year and he's showing to be just as good a stopper as his brother.

Grown 3cm since last year as well, I noticed. I remember some people being worried if he'd be able to take the really tall guys, because he was only 192cm.

Grown 3cm since last year as well, I noticed. I remember some people being worried if he'd be able to take the really tall guys, because he was only 192cm.
Apparently young is 195 too

Sorry I'm not stalking you igloo

Apparently young is 195 too

Sorry I'm not stalking you igloo

I still think that one is wrong :p. Surely he can't be that tall!
Talia mentioned on 3AW tonight that he is 195cm, so at least I know that one is right.

Haha, I would hope not.

I still think that one is wrong :p. Surely he can't be that tall!
Talia mentioned on 3AW tonight that he is 195cm, so at least I know that one is right.

Haha, I would hope not.

Really? Thats actually great news, I know 3cm isn't that much but 195 is a good height for a defender. I also doubt Young is 195 too, think its more around the 190 mark which is fine by me for his role. Will try and see when they're standing next to each other :p

Maybe a tad left field but anyone else reckon it would be worth chucking him forward one game? Athletic, big bodied, relatively quick, good hands, good footy brain, knows where to run. His kicking might be a problem but he generally seems to get them in the right spots even if they look awkward (and there is a lot more room for error with a goal than a player) and he has kicked some nice goals before. Hes obviously a natural KPD and I wouldn't want to mess with that but I would just love to see it tried for a half one day if our forwards aren't making much impact (which is pretty much every week...) change things up a bit.

seeing as I've adopted him I thought I may as well give a brief review of his game the other day.

This one will be quite brief but they should get better.

He had more of an aerial presence than last year by the looks of it. Was very keen to cut off his space and act as if he has a big body to plonk into important situations.

Competed well several times on ground level with Stanley who is quite an athlete, although not necessarily that clever re: footy smarts. Talia seemed comfortable in the match up and cut off chances well.

Still really hit or miss with disposal. Is starting to like his right foot and generally gets himself in positions its hard to stuff up from. He did however shank the daylights out of it at one stage which showed a real lack of composure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another quick one here after round 2 of the nab challenge.

Was good on players his own size and competed well. slightly cleaner with the ball but still so far to go.

found out a couple of times on the deck against small opposition but shouldn't get thrown on them too much at this stage in his career. Looking like Darling or Kennedy's opponent for round 1.

brief mid season update of Micky Talia,

didn't get to see him at all in the 2's due to the pacific ocean. Has rejoined the seniors as of the Carlton game.

Was our best key back in both weeks since returning although that's not much of a statement.

Has visibly improved his short kick, very pleasing to see. Puts a lot of body work into his opponent, makes them work hard for every mark. Has been outmarked at times due to his opponents just being big tall monster. Will sort this out in the future as he puts on some more life weight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back