Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot to unpack here. What bothers me the most is that Rutten seemed to be the only person that knows what the club needs to do to get success. Stability, hard work, stick to the plan, fix the culture. The one guy at the club who actually has the smarts to see why we’ve been a clusterf*ck for the past 15 years and going nowhere fast gets the arse from an arrogant President looking for another quick fix.

Something (I believe) Roco said on the Lunchtime Catch-up Podcast really stood out to me; that football clubs are about people. Right now in my view the EFC is not about people. We’ve just turfed the guy that actually sounds like he has real love and care for the club, the players, the staff and the members and supporters.

Regardless of whether you’re of the view that Rutten had what it took to take the team to success, i think we can all agree that if the board and president took a moment to read the room they’d quickly see they’ve completely alienated the members and supporters. We’re ashamed and embarrassed. But I honestly question whether they care as long as the membership $ keep coming in.

I’m as detached and disillusioned by this club as I’ve ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sure, Rutten can articulate all that is wrong with the club. Trust the process, stay the course, don't sack me I like my job. He just struggled to articulate what the hell went wrong after each unacceptable performance that wasn't what we wanted to stand for.

So no changes other than Rutten ahahahaha. Far out.

The buck shouldn't stop at Rutten. If they believe he's a failure then the people that appointed him should go. And the people involved in building the list should go. And the people in the background constantly scheming away like wormtongue should go.

In fact they can all heck off, because none of them are interested in footy, it's just a game of politics and powerplays to these people, and the club will always be a s**t place until they're gone.

Sure, Rutten can articulate all that is wrong with the club. Trust the process, stay the course, don't sack me I like my job. He just struggled to articulate what the hell went wrong after each unacceptable performance that wasn't what we wanted to stand for.
You say that like the alternative is an improvement

The problem is most of the players aren’t suitable for the roles they have to play.

No coach in the league will come out and bag his players. Sure fire way to guarantee you lose the group.

We don't know what the alternative is at this stage, do we?
The alternative is getting the same people who have brought three failed head coaches to the club to select yet another head coach. I'm not a prophet, but I'm happy to take a punt on what the outcome will be.

Agree, some pretty god awful performances this year. The next coach will fix that I’m sure. Knights Hird Thompson Woosha Rutten all bad coaches. The next one will be the one. Just keep everything else at the club the same, it’s perfect. Just haven’t found a good coach yet.

Ross is the only live option as far as experience goes and from the sounds of things on the mmm’s he doesn’t want the job.
Cameron is only 3 months out and bucks doesn’t want to coach next yr, likewise with Buckley

Of course I do. The only way you get your say is by telling the club to shove it by not renewing your membership.

Ahh fair enough, I am firmly leaning towards that option, but that still won't remove all of the rot. A few will be sacrificed, the boys club will remain and we will still be a terribly run football club.

Agree, some pretty god awful performances this year. The next coach will fix that I’m sure. Knights Hird Thompson Woosha Rutten all bad coaches. The next one will be the one. Just keep everything else at the club the same, it’s perfect. Just haven’t found a good coach yet.

If only Brasher had been able to get the players to understand full ground team defence, the old fool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I joked last night watching the game that Nathan Buckley will be the coach of EFC next year. Wonder if that will still be a joke in 8 weeks.

BrunoV (Lore said it better than me) but it's time to look past the coach. Perhaps he won't make it, but the current system is setting him up to fail. Rutten is invested, a good person and has runs on the board in implementing a successful system. I am happy to change the structure around him and see what can be achieved. He has a very young team, in the middle of a rebuild. Nobody should be expecting a grand final appearance.

What is certain, is having a tantrum and sacking the coach every few years doesn't work. I fully expect Rutten to be sacked in the near future, with the club again blaming the coach and not having learnt a thing.

It's moot now but I just can't agree.

There would have been no reason for it other than him being there.

People talk about wanting a process but would advocate retaining a clearly underperforming coach who, himself, was part of a lack luster head hunting exercise undertaken by a guy who we sacked 2 years ago.

4 years is more than enough time.

It's moot now but I just can't agree.

There would have been no reason for it other than him being there.

People talk about wanting a process but would advocate retaining a clearly underperforming coach who, himself, was part of a lack luster head hunting exercise undertaken by a guy who we sacked 2 years ago.

4 years is more than enough time.
How can he have had 4 years, if the last guy was sacked 2 years ago?

Surely you wait for the external review and understand the full reason for the underperformance. What if it turns out that the problem wasn't the coach? (too late now I guess) Our board (and many supporters) are one trick ponies. Wait 2-3 years, if no finals win, sack the coach, rinse and repeat.

I joked last night watching the game that Nathan Buckley will be the coach of EFC next year. Wonder if that will still be a joke in 8 weeks.
Would take a massive backflip from Bucks. Also not sure he'd gel well with the group. Daisy Thomas supposedly left the pies because he couldn't get through a round of golf without Bucks texting him about the (footy) things he should be working on.

How can he have had 4 years, if the last guy was sacked 2 years ago?

Surely you wait for the external review and understand the full reason for the underperformance. What if it turns out that the problem wasn't the coach? (too late now I guess) Our board (and many supporters) are one trick ponies. Wait 2-3 years, if no finals win, sack the coach, rinse and repeat.
Nature of the business Have a look at AFL coaches in general. Only Dew has 3+ seasons and hasn't won a final.

Barham has completely cooked it from my point of view. Not just with his laughable attempt at getting Clarko or his poor treatment of a decent human. He has given the players an out. Had it started next year the way it finished this year they would've been completely exposed next year as frauds, Truck would've been a no brainer to go (possibly mid year depending on the start) and nobody would've been surprised or thought he'd not been given a fair run at it. The players would have no one to blame but themselves or Truck.

Also his idea of an external review at this stage consists of finding out why Geelong have played in 8 prelims. According to him no positions within the football department will be under review.

The players have served up s**t for most of 6 seasons now.

Other than it being part of some acting out against the stupidity of how this has played out why do you think anything will change?

I've thought about this and I've thought that it could be that this is what it takes to get the players to understand.

I'm far too cynical about the player to believe they will build anything sustainable with Rutten, even from here.

Aside from that, heck them, they don't get to do that.. The players need to be treated like the children they are.

Seems like some people on this forum are as delusional as the old boys club on the board.

We’ve been a basket case on field for 15 years, never won more than 12 games in a season and embarrassed any time we’ve snuck into the finals. Never had a sustainable brand of footy, never been a good defensive team.

How many coaches have we cycled through in that time? 5 by my count (not counting multiple stints by Hird and Bomber). How many players have we cycled through? Innumerable.

Yet the answer is ‘sack the coach’ or ‘blame the players’. Until there’s a realisation that problems at this footy club run much deeper than coaches and players, nothing is going to change. Sack as many coaches as you like, trade out and redraft players, the shitshow will continue for the next 15 years.

Like Jobe said, the club needs to stop looking outwards and start looking inwards. I was really hoping for two things to happen once Barham made his move on the board:

#1 - if we were to sack Rutten, then land Clarko. This is not because I thought he would be the messiah that would finally take us to the promised land, but because if and when we remained a mediocre football team under his tenure, the cry of ‘it’s the coach’s fault’ would ring hollow and the club would have to address the glaring problems within its 4 walls.

#2 - a deep, wide and far-ranging external review where every aspect of the football club and every person in every position would scrutinised by people with no connection to the club, no loyalties to incumbents and no Essendon bias.

Sadly neither of these two things have happened. So I guess we bring a new coach in and Sisyphus pushes the rock back up the hill until it rolls back down the other side in two years and we sack the coach again.

Seems like some people on this forum are as delusional as the old boys club on the board.

We’ve been a basket case on field for 15 years, never won more than 12 games in a season and embarrassed any time we’ve snuck into the finals. Never had a sustainable brand of footy, never been a good defensive team.

How many coaches have we cycled through in that time? 5 by my count (not counting multiple stints by Hird and Bomber). How many players have we cycled through? Innumerable.

Yet the answer is ‘sack the coach’ or ‘blame the players’. Until there’s a realisation that problems at this footy club run much deeper than coaches and players, nothing is going to change. Sack as many coaches as you like, trade out and redraft players, the shitshow will continue for the next 15 years.

Like Jobe said, the club needs to stop looking outwards and start looking inwards. I was really hoping for two things to happen once Barham made his move on the board:

#1 - if we were to sack Rutten, then land Clarko. This is not because I thought he would be the messiah that would finally take us to the promised land, but because if and when we remained a mediocre football team under his tenure, the cry of ‘it’s the coach’s fault’ would ring hollow and the club would have to address the glaring problems within its 4 walls.

#2 - a deep, wide and far-ranging external review where every aspect of the football club and every person in every position would scrutinised by people with no connection to the club, no loyalties to incumbents and no Essendon bias.

Sadly neither of these two things have happened. So I guess we bring a new coach in and Sisyphus pushes the rock back up the hill until it rolls back down the other side in two years and we sack the coach again.

How many presidents? How many board members?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back