Delisted Former CEO Xavier Campbell - Resigned - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Facepalm

Admittedly, there was a bit of hype about him in such circles.
The trajectory to afl ceo was always there
Do wonder if this stint and some revelations have robbed that of him now
Wasn’t a fan of his appointment and have never changed my mind on him.
He’s straight from central casting for the AFL executive - and that’s not a compliment.

Will be interesting to see the media attention on this tomorrow/the next few days, particularly when the next media opp comes up with an essendon player and/or Rutten.

Really does seem that some in high up positions must not be happy with this at all, as RoCo eluded to in his podcast with Shawry - which was a great listen.

I personally never really care for linking whether the CEO is doing a good job to the performance of the team. In football's case, it's not as absurd as when people do it with the CA CEO whose responsibilities go so much further than the "man's test team", but I'm happy to accept that the CEO could be doing a good job but the team isn't. There's a lot to the job. But, based on what's been reported so far, that Nova Peris story is an absolutely killer for the CEO. That's the type of **** that the CEO can't be messing up.

Last edited:
I personally never really care for linking whether the CEO is doing a good job to the performance of the team. In football's case, it's not as absurd as when people do it with the CA CEO whose responsibilities go so much further than the "man's test team", but I'm happy to accept that the CEO could be doing a good job but the team isn't. There's a lot to the job. But, based on what's been reported so far, that Nova Peris story is an absolutely killer for the CEO. That's the type of **** that the CEO can't be messing up.

The other story re misbehaviour and failure of the club to investigate doesn’t bode well either.

You are right re performance on a season to season basis….but it’s been 9 years. There has to be some accountability.

Bombers backers call for CEO review​

9:11PM MAY 18, 2022

A group of high-ranking Essendon members have written to Bombers chairman Paul Brasher, expressing concerns the club hierarchy has not adequately investigated behavioural issues involving chief executive Xavier Campbell.

The Australian has obtained a number of letters written to Brasher, including two raising concerns around a serious “HR issue” involving Campbell.

An alleged incident involving Campbell is understood to have occurred at a pre-Christmas work party in 2015.

Ro Co mentions a full external review needs to include HR. Thought that was a bit odd, but slowly information is starting to trickle through…

GM of Projects and Partnerships for five years then promoted to Chief Operating Officer in Dec 2013 (with the CEO role left vacant at that time).

Promoted to CEO in July 2014, 7 months later.

Not sure where we got him from prior to 2008, but that’s a fairly long period of time in an organisation. Still ten years less than Dodoro though.
Did I miss something here?
The first article says the CEO position is to remain vacant, then two paragraphs later says XC is the new CEO.

As well, the first article says that XC is the CEO within a revised executive structure, then the second article credits him with the revision of the executive structure. That makes it sound like they;

• interviewed for a CEO
  • did not hire any interviewed candidates
  • appointed Campbell from within as CEO
  • allowed Campbell to restructure the executive with himself in pole position to continue as the CEO

Is that a rort?

I would like to see what some stability will do for our overall success. Let’s reserved judgement until the Rutten era has 3-4 years under its belt first. Pretty clear we over achieved last year, very much a rebuilding list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can only assume the HR thing can be pretty ordinary, will soon be exposed, and need to be defended by Campbell and the club. All directly in response to the extension.

The Nova Peris article might just be bad timing for Campbell but it alludes to issues with Campbell's dealings with external parties - something that was also pointed out by Robert Shaw in the podcast yesterday - given this is a likely a coincidence makes it even more concerning.

It looks like some Essendon members in the know have had enough and want Cambell gone. Whilst other parties are just openly criticising his work. Either way It's going to be interesting to see how both him and the club respond to these questions - and subsequent questions about his tenure and the extension process (already raised publicly in the member letter).

Looks like even more of a tangled Web and worse than I previously thought (thought he was just incompetent) and could explain why there was no external review of the operation done. IF that's the case heads need to roll. The club, the players and the members all need much better leadership than that to enjoy success.

Did I miss something here?
The first article says the CEO position is to remain vacant, then two paragraphs later says XC is the new CEO.

As well, the first article says that XC is the CEO within a revised executive structure, then the second article credits him with the revision of the executive structure. That makes it sound like they;

• interviewed for a CEO
  • did not hire any interviewed candidates
  • appointed Campbell from within as CEO
  • allowed Campbell to restructure the executive with himself in pole position to continue as the CEO

Is that a rort?
COO first which I guess is like CEO with training wheels, then CEO 6 months later.

Can only assume the HR thing can be pretty ordinary, will soon be exposed, and need to be defended by Campbell and the club. All directly in response to the extension.

The Nova Peris article might just be bad timing for Campbell but it alludes to issues with Campbell's dealings with external parties - something that was also pointed out by Robert Shaw in the podcast yesterday - given this is a likely a coincidence makes it even more concerning.

It looks like some Essendon members in the know have had enough and want Cambell gone. Whilst other parties are just openly criticising his work. Either way It's going to be interesting to see how both him and the club respond to these questions - and subsequent questions about his tenure and the extension process (already raised publicly in the member letter).

Looks like even more of a tangled Web and worse than I previously thought (thought he was just incompetent) and could explain why there was no external review of the operation done. IF that's the case heads need to roll. The club, the players and the members all need much better leadership than that to enjoy success.
You are an expert in hiring people for companies. If it is a major issue for you then find some people to stand and use you expertise to get the members on board. Things will not change by yelling on an internet forum. People need to turn up and vote for change. Drive that. The same can be said for RoCo. Does a lot of yelling and I agree with 80% of what he is yelling about but he should be using his skill set to get behind some good candidates for change.

You are an expert in hiring people for companies. If it is a major issue for you then find some people to stand and use you expertise to get the members on board. Things will not change by yelling on an internet forum. People need to turn up and vote for change. Drive that. The same can be said for RoCo. Does a lot of yelling and I agree with 80% of what he is yelling about but he should be using his skill set to get behind some good candidates for change.
I agree and I have already offered - not that I'd call myself an expert in this area (or any really) but I am an action person don't worry about that.

And btw- having an opinion on an opinion forum isn't yelling. I would also add some of my opinions have been quite close to the mark from a long way out and because they can go against the popular narrative on here are a pain in the arse to defend. That should be ok in here.

Edit; i know nothing about board spills but to me RoCo sound flakey in terms of putting a ticket together - saying anyone good give me a call etc. The opinion on here that we could just end up with another bunch if idiots may be true. However sometimes you have no alternative. And at least the new lot won't have to cover each others arse, which appears to be what's been happening here - That stuff limits performance badly and isn't good enough.

Last edited:
I agree and I have already offered - not that I'd call myself an expert in this area (or any really) but I am an action person don't worry about that.

And btw- having an opinion on an opinion forum isn't yelling. I would also add some of my opinions have been quite close to the mark from a long way out and because they can go against the popular narrative on here are a pain in the arse to defend. That should be ok in here.
Sorry. Did not mean to offend with the yelling comment. I respect your opinion or I would not bother interacting. It was a badly worded way to say use your skills to try and make a difference. If you get behind a ticket to change things I will be on board.

Sorry. Did not mean to offend with the yelling comment. I respect your opinion or I would not bother interacting. It was a badly worded way to say use your skills to try and make a difference. If you get behind a ticket to change things I will be on board.
No need to apologise Ant I probably overreacted anyway - and chest beating because I may have gotten something right. There's no other joy available in being right that we aren't on track!

Outside of that this stuff is frustrating and annoying to read for many I'm sure. And of course it's mostly based on pure speculation. We all want the club to do well and for some that means have the best operational platform possible for success. It's quite possible we have one of the worst. My personal frustration is with anyone at the club not being honest in their role as its just not good enough.

Agreed that more transparency might be required here

Just in case people have forgotten, NP was forced to resign after misusing public funds to have an affair whilst in office.

If the anti X movement is looking for a champion, they probably need to look elsewhere.

Sorry, just on your points here:

- Which part are you saying could explain why there was no external review? Because Campbell and co have possibly been so incompetent and wanted to avoid an external review to cover their own asses?

- Which member letter are you referring to?

Just trying to play catch up on it all!

Sorry, just on your points here:

- Which part are you saying could explain why there was no external review? Because Campbell and co have possibly been so incompetent and wanted to avoid an external review to cover their own asses?

- Which member letter are you referring to?

Just trying to play catch up on it all!
Yes on the review. External review- Nothing to hide and we are looking for excellence and improvement. Internal review....just give us time we have got this - piss off.

Letter - There was an article in the Australian apparently publishing a letter from a member to the club outlining several concerns - including the lack of transparency and demanding a review into some sort of HR issue everyone seems to know about, as well as a review into the boards decision to extend Campbell's contract - below extract ***

It says: “We have concerns, if in fact this is true and would like you to validate:

“Was there a review conducted by the board in relation to allegations … committed by Xavier Campbell? If the answer is yes then great, have the current board members received a copy of the report?

“Who made the decision to reappoint Xavier Campbell for an additional 2 year term? The board vote or the president independently.”

The author of the letter has asked for an external review into the reappointment and conduct of the CEO.*****

Another section of the article deals with the ignored pleas from 1500 members for the club to conduct an external review in 2020 - below****

It is not the first letter of concern to land on Brasher’s desk calling for an external review – in 2020, 1500 members called for an independent analysis of the club.

The architect of that letter, Bombers supporter Brett Crabtree said that he did not hear back from Brasher or the board after submitting the petition to him.

“We were asking for an external review if that review came back and said nothing to see here, the club is running well and due process being followed – well then it would be onwards and upwards,” Crabtree said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back