Fitzroy Team of the Century.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2000
Melbourne, Vic.
Apparently there is going to be a "Fitzroy Team of the Century" function later this year. The event is going to be announced in the Herald Sun in the coming weeks, and the function itself is likely to be similar to that of other clubs' "Team of the Century" nights.

I can't wait!

------------------
lgsmile-FITZ.gif
Carn the Roys!!!

[This message has been edited by Olmy (edited 05 March 2001).]

What a great day it is for Roys supporters! Page 85 of the Herald Sun has the Mike Sheehan article "Great Royboys - Fitzroy faithful finally pays tribute to its heroes".

This is the first time in years that an article of this magnitude has been printed in the Herald Sun in regards to something POSITIVE about Fitzroy.

The article outlines the "Fitzroy Team of the Century 1897 - 1996" which is to be held on the 3rd of May. As the presentation night is on a Thursday, "The Footy Show" will also be doing a live cross-over.

The nominees are listed for the categories of Coach, Captain, Backs, Centreline, Forwards, Followers, and Rovers. Unlike some of the other "Team of the Century" tributes done by other clubs, players can only be selected in the category they are nominated in (unless they are named on the interchange bench).

Just looking through the list, you'd have to say the selection committee would have an unenviable task to decide between some of the names in each category. For instance, to select two rovers out of a list which includes the likes of Garry Wilson, Alan "Baron" Ruthven, and Haydyn Bunton (just to name a select few, mind you!), would take more than a few sleepless nights of contemplation.

I actually tried to have a go at compiling a side out of those who have been nominated, but found it too difficult to decide between the names at this stage (more research needed!).

I gave a side a few weeks back on the Brisbane Lions Board - however, one or two of the players I picked weren't nominated, and quite a few were nominated in different positions than where I selected them.

Just of the top of my head, the only 'recent' high profile name of contention not to make the list is Richard Osborne. (However, I'm sure I could come up with a few more - and not just recent ones - if I were to think about it more thoroughly!).

Apparently, there is also going to be an oil painting done of the team (similar to that of the "Melbourne Team of the Century"), with a copy printed in the Herald Sun the next day. I'm sure it will be something worth waiting to see.

I can't wait!

lgsmile-FITZ.gif
Carn the Roys!!!

It's also worth mentioning . . .

The article states that Brisbane Lions are sponsoring the event, with the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society organising the proceedings. Similarly, the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Past Players and Officials Association has also extended its involvement.

For those who supported the Bears or any other club for that matter, it may be hard to understand why Fitzroy people are so passionate about something like this. Basically, you have to consider that the last time Fitzroy made the finals was in 1986. Our last Premiership came in 1944. Our last few years in the AFL were marred with off-field dramas, and a lack of on-field success. Our last season in the AFL, and our last games were not a happy ending for our club (I don't really need to rehash the events as to why this is so!).

An event such as this one, is one way of reversing all of that negativity that Fitzroy supporters experienced during that time. We didn't get to farewell our club from the AFL with a fairy-tale ending. An event such as this is one way of honouring Fitzroy in an extremely positive way.

The very fact that this event will be highly publicised is also important. Fitzroy fans won't feel as though they are just celebrating this by themselves without the recognition of others. It's a celebration for the whole of football in regards to one of the code's greatest clubs. Similarly, the fact that this event is very public, is a public recognition of the fantastic history of the Fitzroy Football Club. In fact, the publicity generated by such an event almost helps, in some way, to even up the negative publicity that our club and its supporters experienced through the 1990's.

I am extremely pleased to see the Brisbane Lions involvement in this event. Moves such as these will only help to strengthen the Lions community in Victoria, and also right through our entire supporter base. Well done to the Brisbane Lions, the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society, the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Past Players and Officials Association, and of course the Fitzroy Football Club (and Social Club), and the Fitzroy Foundation!!!!

lgsmile-FITZ.gif
CARN THE ROYS!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back