Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
A list of Fitzroy firsts.

Hear This John Trait became the first umpire to use a whistle in a Fitzroy-Carlton game in 1886.

Time-On Fitzroy became the first club to use an electronic time clock to time each quarter in 1888.

A Pennant Fitzroy were the first club to receive a premiership pennant in 1895.

A Draw Fitzroy and South Melbourne played the first VFL draw in 1897. Both sides scored 5.13 (43).

Grand Final Fitzroy won the first VFL Grand Final in 1898, defeating Essendon 5.8 (38) to 3.5 (23), after a top-four play-off system without a grand final had decided the first VFL premiers in 1897.

Brothers in Arms Fitzroy's Bill and Jack Dalton and Jim and Michael Grace were the first brothers to play in a VFL premiership team in 1898.

Two in a Row Fitzroy completed the VFL's first back-to-back premierships, beating South 3.9 (27) to 3.8 (26) in 1899.

Indigenous Initiative Fitzroy's Joe Johnson became the VFL's first Aboriginal player. He had 55 games from 1904-05, including the 1904-05 flag sides and was the first Aboriginal premiership player.

Killed in Action Fitzroy's Stan Reid, killed in the Boer War, was the first VFL player to lose his life in active service.

No Score Fitzroy and Collingwood played the only scoreless quarter in VFL history - the fourth in Round 13, 1901.

A Fitzroy Ton In Round 7, 1903, Bill McSpeerin became the first of 110 players to play 100 games for Fitzroy.

Numbers and Sydney Fitzroy played Collingwood in the first VFL game in Sydney, winning 7.20 (62) to 6.9 (45) at Moore Park in 1903. It was also the first time jumper numbers were worn.

The Big V Barclay Bailes and Herbert Milne were the first Fitzroy players to represent Victoria in the 1908 Jubilee Anniversary Carnival. Each State and New Zealand competed for a prize named in honour of long-serving Fitzroy secretary Con Hickey.

First and Last Fitzroy became the only VFL team to win the wooden spoon and the premiership in the same year – 1916. The season, reduced to four teams by war, lasted only 12 weeks. Fitzroy, with two wins and a draw, finished last but beat Collingwood and then Carlton twice.

All Aboard for WA Fitzroy were the first Victorian club to travel to Western Australia in 1922. They played twice each in Perth and Kalgoorlie.

A Flood Fitzroy played Essendon in the only VFL grand final postponed by a week, due to a flood at the MCG in 1923.

Twin Centuries Fitzroy played Carlton in Round 1, 1924, when, for the first time, both sides scored 100 points. Fitzroy won 19.9 (123) to 15.17 (107).

Goalless Coleman Fitzroy, with Vic Chanter at full-back, were the only team to hold Essendon's John Coleman goalless. It was Round 10, 1952. Fitzroy won by 24 points at Brunswick Street.

Hobart Fitzroy defeated Melbourne 12.10 (82) to 10.10 (70) in the first VFL match in Hobart in 1952.

Brotherly Love Fitzroy's Len Smith and Melbourne's Norm Smith were opposing coaches in the 1960 finals - the only such incident in the VFL finals.

Home Away From Home Fitzroy were the first club to provide a home for interstate and country recruits in 1961.

A Coterie Fitzroy formed a Business Committee which aimed to find employment for players and 'strengthen the traditional Fitzroy spirit'. This was later called the Lion Hunters and was the VFL's first coterie – a 1963 fore-runner to an integral part of modern football.

Royalty on Sunday Fitzroy played in the VFL's first Sunday match before royalty on 5 April, 1970. The players appeared after halftime groomed and showered to be introduced by president Ern Joseph to Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles and Princess Anne. Fitzroy upset premiers Richmond 16.20 (116) to 14.12 (96).

Club Record In 1970 Kevin Murray became the first Fitzroy player to play 250 games, beating Frank Curcio's long-standing record of 249.

Welcome Waverley Fitzroy played Geelong in the first VFL game at Waverley in 1970. Shane Molloy, father of Jarrod, kicked the first goal on the ground in the Reserves.

A Fitzroy Knight Douglas Nicholls, a famous Aboriginal sportsman who played 53 games with Fitzroy from 1932-37, representing Victoria in 1934-35 after earlier excelling in boxing and sprinting, was knighted in the 1972 Queen's Birthday Honours. He was later appointed Governor of South Australia before ill-health forced his retirement.

Run Ends Fitzroy full-back Harvey Merrigan held Collingwood ace Peter McKenna goalless after he'd kicked at least one goal in a VFL record 120 games in a row.

Night Football: Fitzroy played in the first official match under lights against North Melbourne in the 1977 pre-season series. They won 16.12 (108) to 11.8 (74).

Record Score Fitzroy kicked the VFL's highest score of 36.22 (238) against Melbourne's 6.12 (48) at Waverley in Round 17, 1979. Bob Beecroft booted 10 goals and Harvey Merrigan the one that gave them the record score on their way to a record 190-point margin.

Pay Up Fitzroy were the first VFL club to fine their players for poor performance. Coach Bill Stephen imposed a $2000 fine after an Anzac Day loss to Richmond by 118 points in 1980.

Top & Bottom In 1980, Fitzroy became the only wooden spoon team in history to score more points over the entire season than the top team, Geelong.

No Multiples Fitzroy beat Collingwood 8.11 (59) to 4.9 (33) in 1981 in the VFL's first game without a multiple goalkicker.

Tall Timber Tumbles Fitzroy beat North Melbourne by 150 points in Round 3, 1983 – the greatest defeat by a side on top of the ladder.

Finals Hat-Trick Fitzroy played in the Seniors, Reserves and Under 19s finals for the first time in the same year in 1983.

First Lady Elaine Findlay becomes the first woman to be appointed to the board of a VFL-AFL club in November 1985. She later serves as the Club's vice-chairperson, until retiring from the board in December 2010.

Carrara Capers Fitzroy beat the Brisbane Bears 20.9 (129) to 16.18 (114) in the first AFL match at Carrara in 1987.

Another Waverley First Fitzroy beat North 20.9 (129) to 7.13 (55) in the first VFL match for premiership points played under lights at Waverley in 1987.

National Capital Fitzroy played West Coast in the first AFL premiership match played in Canberra in 1995.

Fitzroy.png i made a mock up fitzroy uniform with different socks coz i was bored. i chose canterbury because i just did

Attachments

• Fitzroy.png
    Fitzroy.png
    9 KB · Views: 459
Fitzroy played in the first Sunday final - v Collingwood in 1984 (funnily enough Collingwood showed displeasure at having to play the first semi-final after only a six day break, as per 3.07 in this clip )

Essendon only had a 6 day break between the Semi's n Prelim's but managed to pump the Pies by 22 goals weeks later.

Superboot won the Coleman.

Speaking of the first and only time a side has won the premiership after finishing last, here is a great story on that feat from the AFL website / AFL record.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-23/fitzroys-remarkable-1916-season

Fitzroy fairytale in chumps-to-champs 1916 season
Ben Collins April 23, 2016 10:00 AM

• Chumps%20to%20Champs.jpg
This is a digitally altered image reproduced from a 1916 edition of the Football Record

IT’S PROBABLY footy’s most quirky and scarcely believable trivia question. Which team won the wooden spoon and the premiership in the same season? To the uninitiated, it’s an impossible proposition. But we assure you it’s not a trick question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to recall Gary Keane was attacked by a shark along the same coastline - though don't quote me.

The first team to provide three consecutive Brownlow Medallists, with Haydn Bunton in 1931, 1932 and then Chicken Smallhorn in 1933. Only St Kilda can match this feat. You can also argue that Fitzroy produced the first instance of two Brownlow Medallists in a row, because this is what happened in a chronological sense. Collingwood having Albert Collier in 1929 and then Harry Collier in 1930 only occurred in 1989 because of the retrospective handing out of medals.
Before the retrospective handing out of Coleman Medals, Bernie Quinlan was the first player to win consecutive medals with successive century-goal seasons (1983, 1984).

I appreciate this is not in the right thread. Nonethless can I ask those trivia minded did Fitzroy have the next best record, after West Coast, at the WACA prior to the admission of Fremantle? By my count we were 2-2 prior to 1995. The ground was truly a fortress for the Eagles.

I appreciate this is not in the right thread. Nonethless can I ask those trivia minded did Fitzroy have the next best record, after West Coast, at the WACA prior to the admission of Fremantle? By my count we were 2-2 prior to 1995. The ground was truly a fortress for the Eagles.

I actually make Fitzroy's WACA record 2-3 before Freo came along. They lost in 1987, won in1989, lost in 1992, won in 1993 and then lost in 1994. North Melbourne had the best WACA record before 1995, with a 3-2 win-loss ratio. Essendon had a 2-1 record, and Geelong were 1-2 before 1995. All other teams did not manage a win at the WACA before Freo's entry, though remarkably, Richmond have never played at the WACA.
West Coast's record at the WACA prior to Freo coming along was 27-8.

I actually make Fitzroy's WACA record 2-3 before Freo came along. They lost in 1987, won in1989, lost in 1992, won in 1993 and then lost in 1994. North Melbourne had the best WACA record before 1995, with a 3-2 win-loss ratio. Essendon had a 2-1 record, and Geelong were 1-2 before 1995. All other teams did not manage a win at the WACA before Freo's entry, though remarkably, Richmond have never played at the WACA.
West Coast's record at the WACA prior to Freo coming along was 27-8.

Great investigations and facts there mate. Did the Roys play in Perth in 1992? For some reason I only recall the Hobart match and Doc's goal from the boundary.

Edit: On further investigations you are spot on the money.

Article in the Age today in relation to the "Centre Rectangle". 27m x 45m, with only 4 players allowed in until the ball was bounced at the start of a quarter or after goals. Seems that in 1966, the Roys and Blues were the first to go rogue in a game for 4 points, and change the rules as to how a game was to be played.

Nothing like a one point win to get the heart pumping!

Fitzroy solidifies their top 4 position.

Q1Q2Q3Q4
Fitzroy0.2-22.2-145.8-387.11-53
St Bedes / Mentone Tigers1.1-74.2-268.3-518.4-52

Fitzroy​

Goal Kickers:J. McKAY 2, J. Turner 2, J. Wotherspoon, L. Minahan, J. Butler
Best Players:R. Seakins, J. Green, T. Clayton, J. Wotherspoon, N. Ligris, J. McKAY

St Bedes / Mentone Tigers​

Goal Kickers:M. Caia 2, L. Segar 2, C. Mangoni, N. Grech, T. Tyquin, S. Randall
Best Players:M. Barnes, C. Mangoni, T. Tyquin, N. Grech, B. Goodchild, A. Browne

VAFA website didn't show live scores until about quarter time, then stalled at half time for the rest of the day. Had no bloody idea what was going on, and the last score showed us trailing 5 goals to 2. Fitzroy's Instagram and now your post helped to satisfy the chafe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back