Other Field Hockey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Thought I'd get a field hockey thread up and running. Probably very little interest but might as well...

2010 Men's Hockey World Cup is about to reach it's climax, as expected Australia are doing very well. We lost our opening game to England 3-2 but have since recorded wins against India (5-2), South Africa (12-0) and Spain (2-0).

Only the top 2 teams of each pool progress through to the knockout stage. It works as such:

Winner of Pool A v Runner Up of Pool B
Winner of Pool B v Runner Up of Pool A

We're currently second behind England in Pool B but if we defeat Pakistan tonight as we should, we'll jump to top of the pool. If that happens we'll probably face either New Zealand or Germany but could face Korea too.

All matches are being televised on Fox Sports who are doing a tremendous job. :thumbsu: Dwyer, Doerner, Abbott have all been scoring a ton of goals, youngster Matthew Butturini has been terrific on defence. Lets hope the Kookaburras can add some more silverware to their collection.

I've been watching it here in the UK and loving it.

Nicked top spot which is pretty much useless as anything can happen v both Germany or netherlands..
Shame we're not in the other group, landing England in a semi would be fantastic!

The team is looking really good, I thought Ockenden had a cracker too against Pakistan. And Doerner is so bloody dangerous on those short corners!

I've been watching it here in the UK and loving it.

Nicked top spot which is pretty much useless as anything can happen v both Germany or netherlands..
Shame we're not in the other group, landing England in a semi would be fantastic!

The team is looking really good, I thought Ockenden had a cracker too against Pakistan. And Doerner is so bloody dangerous on those short corners!
Ockenden's just an extremely solid player, what impresses me most is that on top of being dangerous around goals he seems to be very mindful of his defensive responsibilities, always pushing back and giving the defence a hand. Then there's Abbott who's just a flat out gun, how good was he against Pakistan? Hammond's pass to set him up for that GWG was pretty sweet.

Seems like we're playing the Netherlands, tough, but IIRC we handled them pretty easy in the Champions Trophy just a few months back. They're not the side they once were.

Ockenden's just an extremely solid player, what impresses me most is that on top of being dangerous around goals he seems to be very mindful of his defensive responsibilities, always pushing back and giving the defence a hand. Then there's Abbott who's just a flat out gun, how good was he against Pakistan? Hammond's pass to set him up for that GWG was pretty sweet.

Seems like we're playing the Netherlands, tough, but IIRC we handled them pretty easy in the Champions Trophy just a few months back. They're not the side they once were.

I think they would prefer the Dutch over the Germans in the semi. Good result.
That winning pass was fantastic, I think Hammond had just come off the bench yeah? Cracking play.
Good future with Des, Eddie and Butterini, they are still only kids!

You beauty! World Cup champions!

Defeated Germany 2-1. Thought we should have had a 2 goal lead at the half as we absolutely dominated play but couldn't convert. Second half was a lot closer, Germany started to get on top, tied it up and during stages they really had some quality chances. They had a penalty corner with about 12 minutes left but couldn't score. Tried the same move that tied up the game but the Aussies obviously learnt.

Butturini is a superstar, he was awesome. Hammond really lifted in the final 5-10 minutes, Ockenden had a real strong game too.

Well done lads! :thumbsu:

I felt sick before this that's how nervous I was. Wanted it so badly.

So pleased for the guys. They fully deserved to win, even though I had my doubts during the 2nd half. :eek:

r530584_3013129.jpg

:D

Great result!!

I remember watching the last time we won the World Cup - and that's a while ago now.

Wasn't able to watch this one, but I remember how sick I felt during the Athens gold medal match so I know what you were going through!

Fantastic result!

I was bricking it aswell in the second half. Germany really turned it up a notch after we dominated the first half.
Great to see Eddie finally get a goal for the the tournament, big game player that kid!
That moves them to number 1 too right?

So the Women's FIH Champions Trophy gets underway in Nottingham tonight, with Fox Sports holding coverage.

The tournament will feature six of the world’s finest teams, and promises to be hugely exciting for spectators in the venue and television viewers around the world.

The nations positioned from one to four in the ABN AMRO World Rankings will all be present, with The Netherlands, Argentina, China and Germany being joined in the line-up by New Zealand and host nation England.

So that leads me to ask, where are Australia ranked? :confused: I know we've got a young developing side, and we'd slipped a bit, but I thought we'd be ranked a little higher than we are. Hurts to see NZ in there over us.

This years Men's Champions Trophy started tonight in Mönchengladbach.

Australia just beat New Zealand 9-1 and Germany topped England 4-2 in the opening game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This years Men's Champions Trophy started tonight in Mönchengladbach.

Australia just beat New Zealand 9-1 and Germany topped England 4-2 in the opening game.

I watched a replay of the Aussie match on a website. Shocking stream.

The Aussies looked like they had 12 men on the pitch, it was that sort of match. Kiwi's defence was shoddy as, though I think after a while they were slightly dazed and the Aussies were able to do what they liked in the attacking 25.

I thought the Kiwi goalie did pretty well under the circumstances. He was under fire almost continually apart from about 8 mins in the second half.

I don't know if it's because I'd been watching the women's CT, but last nights game was played at a completely insane pace! :eek:

The Aussies were outstanding, their passing, their skill level, incredible. Who was the guy who scored on that insanely tight angle to make it...7-1 or something. Freakish.

Go the Aussies, they're a joy to watch this team. :thumbsu:

I don't know if it's because I'd been watching the women's CT, but last nights game was played at a completely insane pace! :eek:

The Aussies were outstanding, their passing, their skill level, incredible. Who was the guy who scored on that insanely tight angle to make it...7-1 or something. Freakish.

Go the Aussies, they're a joy to watch this team. :thumbsu:

Somebody Wilson. They made it look awfully easy. I'm just watching the Ned/Aus match. Well matched and end to end stuff.

It really is a ridiculously fast sport, hockey. It has changed a lot since I played.

Last nights game, wow. We dominated the first 25 minutes, then the Dutch had all the play in the final 10 of the first half and probably should've tied it up.

The Dutch took that momentum into the second half and got up 3-2 with under 10 minutes remaining. Then we exploded with back to back goals by Abbott and Wilson in under a minute. Final score 6-3.

I thought our defence was a bit shaky, I guess we're missing some key players though. Matthew Butturini who is injured is a bit of a loss on defence, his speed and cool head were missed last night. I read an article that we've loaded up on youth while resting some key players, so this tournament is basically the start of preparations for London.

They got a bit of a scare last night too in that second half. We dominated the first half which set up the win.

Swan is a gun, loved his goal celebration too.

Finally watched the game, a great game it was too.

Seriously, this team is amazing. The depth, the amount of stars, it's incredible.

Swann is awesome, how about that defensive play about 3 minutes into the 2nd half?! Abbott seems to always be in the right position, he's just got this knack of being at the right spot at the right time. 2 more goals for Des. :thumbsu: Dwyer just went about his business. Wilson and Orchard have been HUGE this tournament. Ockenden hasn't done much, hopefully he can step up in the final 2 matches.

You saw the difference Doerner makes though, we were awful on PC's, going 0-7, half of them we didn't even get a shot off. Hopefully his ankle injury isn't too bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back