Fantasy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you read the Last Chronicles, Anfield? I've started collecting the series but don't think I've got all 4 yet.

bit late to this thread but had no idea you were any sort of a Covenant fan, TC.

I have read the last chronicles, found them incredibly disappointing, sad to say.

absolutely love the first Covenant trilogy though, and the 2nd too, to a lesser extent.

The Illearth War would be one of my very favourite books, in any genre ..

bit late to this thread but had no idea you were any sort of a Covenant fan, TC.

I have read the last chronicles, found them incredibly disappointing, sad to say.

absolutely love the first Covenant trilogy though, and the 2nd too, to a lesser extent.

The Illearth War would be one of my very favourite books, in any genre ..
Can't remember if I said that the Illearth War was where I started the Chronicles, Cursed Cat. I don't think I ever finished the first book of the First Chronicles. One day I might get back to it :D

Can't remember if I said that the Illearth War was where I started the Chronicles, Cursed Cat. I don't think I ever finished the first book of the First Chronicles. One day I might get back to it :D

first book in that series is a bit of a rough read; I put it down twice before I got through the whole thing - Covenant is at his absolute worst in every possible way. But I did grow to love that book and it is a pretty essential read to getting the most out of the first chronicles ... contains some of Donaldson's prettiest descriptive writing of nature, which makes it an oddly relaxing read at times despite the protagonist's many issues and shortcomings ..

Just finished 'The Wise Man's Fear' and I am now at the point where all I can think about is the story. Loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't think ive read anything new from 2015 but a couple of newish series that I'm waiting for the next installment are The Gentlemen Bastards by Scott Lynch, The Ravens Shadow by Anthony Ryan and the second book in the latest Fitz and Fool trilogy by Robin Hobb. All pretty good reads.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sorry if this isn't in the write place and Mods feel free to delete.

Shout out to my brother's novel Perigord. Urban fantasy. Released yesterday on Amazon as an eBook, paperback to come in a few weeks. Several book stores are set to stock it straight away.
View attachment 142618
First 7 chapters are available as a preview. Love any feedback or reviews.

http://www.amazon.com.au/Perigord-M...=UTF8&qid=1433902232&sr=1-1&keywords=perigord

www.marc-lindsay.com

Cheers

James

good luck :) :thumbsu:

Dymock's Perth have a 25% off store sale on their fantasy/science fiction books, if anyone is going past and wants to buy that last book in a series or the first book of a new series.

If you're a Bombers supporter, there are plenty of "Fletch" books on the shelves :) (they're not on a special though as it's just recently been released).

Edit- meant to say that all Dymock's stores prob have this special- I just couldn't find confirmation online but check out your own local bookshop. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paper Towns

Wow. I feel so inspired to start reading again because of this book.

Not only does this book provide you an enthralling mystery, but likable characters, great camaraderie and unlikely friendships.

However, the focal point for me, is the books ability to make you empathise and understand the perspectives of multiple characters. That no one or nothing is ever what we imagine it to be. This book is deep on so many levels, that I honestly have barely scraped through the deeper meanings, at least to me, this book offers.

The only downside to this book is that it has a very drawn out first act. The book definitely picks up after that though. John Green also seems to have a knack for creating somewhat annoying teenage characters, but you do end up warming up to them.

9/10

I don't read a lot of fantasy any more but can't help but catch up with the Fitz and the Fool whenever Robin Hobb releases another story. I Finished Fool's Quest the other day, really enjoyed it and have to say it felt every bit as strong as any of the earlier six duchies stories which is not bad considering its the 8th story involving Fitz (with at least 15 in the fictional world).

I don't read a lot of fantasy any more but can't help but catch up with the Fitz and the Fool whenever Robin Hobb releases another story. I Finished Fool's Quest the other day, really enjoyed it and have to say it felt every bit as strong as any of the earlier six duchies stories which is not bad considering its the 8th story involving Fitz (with at least 15 in the fictional world).

Nearing the end of Fool's Fate at the moment, with Fool's Assassin and Fool's Quest sitting there ready to go. Really enjoy the world that Hobb has created.

Finished Fool's Quest a couple of weeks ago. Devastated I have to wait for a year or so for the next one. Fitz is definitely my favorite character in fantasy.

Started reading the unhewn throne by Brian Staveley. Into book 2 and its a really enjoyable read. I think the final book comes out early next year.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Have finally started A Song of Ice and Fire... almost finished book 2. If it stays as good as this, GRRM will surpass Robert Jordan IMO.
Now half way through Book 3 pt 2. Haven't spent this much time reading in a long time. GRRM writes with almost perfect pacing. Kinda sucks knowing what's going to happen, having seen the show but the books are providing a heap more depth which is very enjoyable.

Bought and read Magisterium by Holly Black (of Spiderwick Chronicles fame) and Cassandra Clare (Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices) within a day or two of purchase. Unusual for me, as it leapfrogged 1500 other books on my "to read" list but I just wanted something quick and easy while I was in the mood for some reading.

Kids with magic ability go to Magic School- shades of Harry Potter- and there are challenges to be overcome along the way (battles, etc.). Bad kid who hates good kid, overall good vs evil theme, unexpected hero, and all that.

If you've got middle school kids who enjoyed Harry Potter, it'd be a good book to buy for them. Or read it yourself if you don't mind teen reads (young teens :p). There are 5 books planned in the series, #2 was released at the beginning of September. Lite and Easy.

Ok... Not sure if people are a fan of Rick Riordan - creator of the percy jackson series.

He's just come out with a new series - magnus chase and the gods of asgard. Sword of summer is the first book in the series.

I only picked it up recently. It's no match on the original percy jackson series, with slightly slower pace, but similar kind of light hearted fantasy.

Ok... Not sure if people are a fan of Rick Riordan - creator of the percy jackson series.

He's just come out with a new series - magnus chase and the gods of asgard. Sword of summer is the first book in the series.

I only picked it up recently. It's no match on the original percy jackson series, with slightly slower pace, but similar kind of light hearted fantasy.
I only read The Lightning Thief- and quite enjoyed it. This is all Young Adult stuff? easy reads?

I only read The Lightning Thief- and quite enjoyed it. This is all Young Adult stuff? easy reads?

Yep. All easy read stuff. If you've only read the lightening thief, then finish the Percy Jackson series and the roman gods series. Similar plot lines, exploring the greek and roman mythologies and characters followed by tongue in cheek world saving.

Yep. All easy read stuff. If you've only read the lightening thief, then finish the Percy Jackson series and the roman gods series. Similar plot lines, exploring the greek and roman mythologies and characters followed by tongue in cheek world saving.
Sounds great.
Have you read Michael Scott's the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secrets_of_the_Immortal_Nicholas_Flamel

Good vs Evil, Mythology, save the world, etc etc. I devoured the series like I did the Harry Potter and Eddings books. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back