FA Cup FA Cup 2023/24 (Final: Man City vs Man United) - On Paramount+

Football Association Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure thats the case. I reckon for some playing at a premier league ground would be huge.

Not even sure that the changes make it more likely lower league sides will progress.

But again you're making out that the first leg is always at the smaller club's ground?

Lower leagues getting a bigger cut of the TV rights money should far exceed whatever they earn from the odd replay.

Also a win for the much bigger priority, players health, with a couple less games on the calendar.

Be better to get rid of all the European comps and restore the glory of the FA Cup.

It's the fans of the smaller clubs who miss out.

A replay for them against the biggest clubs is worth more than money.

We had a replay against Birmingham earlier this season. Both sides were out on their feet with injuries and both sets of fans hated the idea of a replay.

I'm not sure thats the case. I reckon for some playing at a premier league ground would be huge.

Not even sure that the changes make it more likely lower league sides will progress.

Well then that speaks to a huge flaw in the competiton if clubs would rather draw than win. Another reason to get rid of replays.

It's the fans of the smaller clubs who miss out.

A replay for them against the biggest clubs is worth more than money.

Yeah but they can win instead and then hope to draw a big club in the next round. That’s no less likely than hoping to draw a big club and then getting a draw against them.

Funnily enough it's always about money, the small clubs are desperate to keep replays in the hope of garnering more money simply to survive. A real shame how the much of a strangle hold money has on football.
10m fine per charge for City. Grassroots solved ;)

Yeah but they can win instead and then hope to draw a big club in the next round. That’s no less likely than hoping to draw a big club and then getting a draw against them.

Or they can get a draw at home and then get to experience a day out at some of the biggest stadiums in the country supporting their team.

A draw for most of these smaller clubs is far more likely than a win.

Or they can get a draw at home and then get to experience a day out at some of the biggest stadiums in the country supporting their team.

Why is it impossible for the first leg to be at the biggest stadiums in the country?

It's not. But that's the luck of the draw.

And if you draw a home game then that scenario comes into play.

Yep, it's the luck of the draw. I'm sure a small club going to Old Trafford and pushing United past 90 minutes would rather keep going and have a big chance of knocking them out on pens rather than taking the tie back to their home ground where United will knock them off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More clubs will be able to experience this day out because more will be winning these first and second round ties. In 2020 when replays were scrapped due to covid, Marine beat two EFL clubs in ET/pens to reach the third round where they drew Spurs. Would never of happened with replays they would almost certainly have lost the replay in round 1.

This change will allow more of these clubs and supporters to experience these games against the biggest clubs.

If there is more incentive to draw than win then there is something seriously wrong with the competition imo.

More clubs will be able to experience this day out because more will be winning these first and second round ties. In 2020 when replays were scrapped due to covid, Marine beat two EFL clubs in ET/pens to reach the third round where they drew Spurs. Would never of happened with replays they would almost certainly have lost the replay in round 1.

This change will allow more of these clubs and supporters to experience these games against the biggest clubs.

If there is more incentive to draw than win then there is something seriously wrong with the competition imo.

It's simply designed so your club and it's ilk has to play less games.

That's it.

Yep, it's the luck of the draw. I'm sure a small club going to Old Trafford and pushing United past 90 minutes would rather keep going and have a big chance of knocking them out on pens rather than taking the tie back to their home ground where United will knock them off.

I think the majority of fans would take a second game over a penalty shoot out.

Not a single supporter of a team from league 2 would rather face a replay against West Ham vs a chance at a penalty shootout to progress.

They really wouldn't if it's against a team in the same or lower division. Which is the vast majority of replays.

No it's not, it's designed so they can play more lucrative games.

Nothing is done to benefit the lower league clubs with out it first benefitting the clubs that try to dictate to everyone else how things should run.

The end result of every decision is to suit the largest clubs and to make them more powerful in the football landscape.

Nothing is done to benefit the lower league clubs with out it first benefitting the clubs that try to dictate to everyone else how things should run.

The end result of every decision is to suit the largest clubs and to make them more powerful in the football landscape.

It's a decision that's been taken where there's benefits for all clubs as a result. People complaining about it just don't like change and think it somehow detracts from their own nostalgic memories about memorable replays.

It's a decision that's been taken where there's benefits for all clubs as a result. People complaining about it just don't like change and think it somehow detracts from their own nostalgic memories about memorable replays.

Change is fine when it's not done to appease certain elements.

Don't lie and say this hasn't come about because you have these bigger clubs whining they are playing too many games with European football.

Penalties are a s**t way to end game. Better to get rid of that poxy game deciding option first than change anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back