News Euro-Yroke

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the name change but I wish it was an easier name to pronounce like Naarm.

One of our tv sports presenters here was pronouncing it like Euro Yrokey when I thought it was pronounced like it was spelt.

I can see a lot of opposition supporters making fun of it calling us Euro Joke or Euro Choke if we lose playing under that name.

I also don't know if it will get us more support from indigenous people, it's our indigenous players that will get us their support.

We used to get a lot of indigenous supporters to our games here in WA when Nicky Winmar was playing for us but you don't see as many of them at our games since he retired although that might change now we have Henry and NWM wearing his no.7 jumper

I don't mind the name change but I wish it was an easier name to pronounce like Naarm.

One of our tv sports presenters here was pronouncing it like Euro Yrokey when I thought it was pronounced like it was spelt.

I can see a lot of opposition supporters making fun of it calling us Euro Joke or Euro Choke if we lose playing under that name.

I also don't know if it will get us more support from indigenous people, it's our indigenous players that will get us their support.

We used to get a lot of indigenous supporters to our games here in WA when Nicky Winmar was playing for us but you don't see as many of them at our games since he retired although that might change now we have Henry and NWM wearing his no.7 jumper

It's the name for St Kilda the suburb, don't think we are allowed to change it. You-Row, Ya-Roke. People have been laughing at us for 150 years. Who gives a ****.

It's the name for St Kilda the suburb, don't think we are allowed to change it. You-Row, Ya-Roke. People have been laughing at us for 150 years. Who gives a heck.

Yeah I know it's the name of our suburb and we still get made fun of from opposition supporters being called the Aints or Stains.

It doesn't bother me, water off a duck's back, the best way to respond is by winning or failing that you just insult them or both.

Naarm has a number of issues in that its actually derived from the indigenous names for Port Phillip Bay and not the Melbourne settlement.

At least it's not what Geelong use where it's just an alternate spelling for an already indigenous derived name though.

Not fussed about or SDNR name. Am pissed off that the merch is ridiculously over priced ... 80 ****ING DOLLARS ... for a SNDR scarf. Club can shove that bullshit right up its arse!

Naarm has a number of issues in that its actually derived from the indigenous names for Port Phillip Bay and not the Melbourne settlement.

At least it's not what Geelong use where it's just an alternate spelling for an already indigenous derived name though.

Not fussed about or SDNR name. Am pissed off that the merch is ridiculously over priced ... 80 ******* DOLLARS ... for a SNDR scarf. Club can shove that bullshit right up its arse!

No doubt all the different jumpers, scarfs and other merch we have now is an attempt to milk more money out of our supporters.

Every club is doing the same thing now, the old days of clubs just wearing the same jumper with the same colours is over.

I still have my old Saints scarf and polo shirts that I bought back in the nineties when I first started supporting the Saints.

I need to get a new polo shirt though as the old ones don't fit me anymore, I need to get one of the XXL ones that RTB wears.

Last edited:
No doubt all the different jumpers, scarfs and other merch we have now is an attempt to milk more money out of our supporters.

Every club is doing the same thing now, the old days of clubs just wearing the same jumper with the same colours is over.

I still have my old Saints scarf and polo shirts that I bought back in the nineties when I first started supporting the Saints.

I need to get a new polo shirt though as the old ones don't fit me anymore, I need to get one of the XXL ones that RTB wear.s.
Nah the club is taking the piss with $80 SDNR scarfs. The $40+ beanies last year were a joke as well. $50 for the t-shirts they can GAGF. The MRV stuff is cheaper and it goes to charity (not that they bothered with last years Maddies Match).

Not fussed about or SDNR name. Am pissed off that the merch is ridiculously over priced ... 80 ******* DOLLARS ... for a SNDR scarf. Club can shove that bullshit right up its arse!
Wow.
That is daylight robbery 😲

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But you do realise that before the second (I think) word war we wore red, yellow and black don’t you? But they changed them because they were the Germans national colours.
Rubbish. You are way wrong there. They were RWB but changed to the Belgium colour RYB during the First world war.

Not quite true.

"Naarm" has different meanings for the different groups within the Kulin nation which lived in the areas surrounding what is now Melbourne.

One group used it to describe the specific area which now includes the Melbourne CBD, but other groups used it to indicate a much broader portion of the Kulin nation lands.

Rubbish. You are way wrong there. They were RWB but changed to the Belgium colour RYB during the First world war.
So I am! Just looked it up on wiki. Our colours have changed around a bit more than I realised. But change they certainly have, which was my original point.

Attachments

• IMG_8968.png
    IMG_8968.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8969.png
    IMG_8969.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 19
The worst jumper we wore was those horrible yellow Pura Milk jumpers from the early noughties.

Fv0qXOraMAYJ6kw

I don't think those jumpers would have been a big seller with Saints supporters back then, we didn't even look like St Kilda.

That's true, I lived in Belgium for a while and have supported the Belgian Red Devils ever since.

They remind me a lot of St Kilda, the little battlers in Europe that can punch above their weight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worst jumper we wore was those horrible yellow Pura Milk jumpers from the early noughties.

Fv0qXOraMAYJ6kw

I don't think those jumpers would have been a big seller with Saints supporters back then, we didn't even look like St Kilda.

That's true, I lived in Belgium for a while and have supported the Belgian Red Devils ever since.

They remind me a lot of St Kilda, the little battlers in Europe that can punch above their weight.
Wow there are some players in that photo. All walk up starts in the current team.

Not quite true.

"Naarm" has different meanings for the different groups within the Kulin nation which lived in the areas surrounding what is now Melbourne.

One group used it to describe the specific area which now includes the Melbourne CBD, but other groups used it to indicate a much broader portion of the Kulin nation lands.

Makes no difference to me, I support StKilda all my life, never heard that other name until this week. Momentary confusion looking up the fixture.
Yeah i get it, but big bloody deal.

Maybe they need to talk about it a bit before they do it, if it'd been WookieBenCanobie vs DarthwrathofKhan, it would have made no difference to me.

Even Tony Delaney??

Delaney was a gun WA junior player but he was injury prone, we got him third hand after Essendon and Freo were done with him.

We thought we might have have been able to fix him like so many other players, who were we kidding? He was a bust for us too.

You’re a fair way off with your thoughts on the scarf, insofar as it being an SDNR issue.

The SDNR scarf is part of the Merino wool range which is (or at least was) made in Australia and (definitely) is 100% Australian wool. It’s the same product class is our other $80 Merino wool scarf. Completely unlike the cheap polyester scarfs like the member’s one.

SDNR wool scarf ($80):

This year’s wool scarf ($80):

Standard polyester scarf ($20):

So whether the scarf is worth that money or not is up to you, but it’s priced because of the material, not because of the design or SDNR association.

You’re a fair way off with your thoughts on the scarf, insofar as it being an SDNR issue.

The SDNR scarf is part of the Merino wool range which is (or at least was) made in Australia and (definitely) is 100% Australian wool. It’s the same product class is our other $80 Merino wool scarf. Completely unlike the cheap polyester scarfs like the member’s one.

SDNR wool scarf ($80):

This year’s wool scarf ($80):

Standard polyester scarf ($20):

So whether the scarf is worth that money or not is up to you, but it’s priced because of the material, not because of the design or SDNR association.
ITS STILL $80 ****ING DOLLARS THATS THE ****ING ISSUE IT CAN BE MADE FROM SOLID ****ING GOLD BUT A FOOTY SCARF ISN'T WORTH $80 ****ING DOLLARS!

WHY NO AFFORDABLE SNDR MERCH?!

ITS STILL $80 ******* DOLLARS THATS THE ******* ISSUE IT CAN BE MADE FROM SOLID ******* GOLD BUT A FOOTY SCARF ISN'T WORTH $80 ******* DOLLARS!

WHY NO AFFORDABLE SNDR MERCH?!

I feel you. In saying that, my one is the nicest scarf I own, footy scarves or otherwise. Soft and very warm without being that sweaty type of warm like with polyester.

I’d say grab one with a members discount or when it goes on sale.

I feel you. In saying that, my one is the nicest scarf I own, footy scarves or otherwise. Soft and very warm without being that sweaty type of warm like with polyester.

I’d say grab one with a members discount or when it goes on sale.
I'm at the point that I'm so pissed off with the club that I don't want to give them another cent. Seriously thinking of not renewing my membership next year after 20+ years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back