Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

It continually surprises me of poster concerns with regards to Sav's one-on-one contests, give Sav time and he'll be up there with the best one-on-one backman in the league, it's just that he can be a little slow learning in certain fundamental areas of the game when it comes to being a key position backman, which in fairness to him is understandable. At present the guys is in the early stages of learning his craft and for all intense and purposes is doing an exceptional job with playing on some the better key forwards in the comp but give him time and mark my words, there will not be many 'better forwards' in the comp that he won't be able to hold his own.

Personally, I've been wanting Sav to go into the back-line for at least 18 months, as in the end he never had the smarts to be a top forward but the guy has incredible athleticism for his size and body strength and playing a key position back role suits him down to a tee, he doesn't have to turn around. He's also has a attacking mentality to his game, wanting to take the game on, whereby he even goes for marks that he should be punching but he'll quickly work out the best time to mark and the best time to punch.

But what Sav's also gives Geelong is another 'genuine' tall, strong defender (very hard to come-by) taking the best or second best key forward with SDK taking the other, Kolo goes onto the 3rd and so on with remaining backman, which really free's up our backline to have more control over their opponents, hence we'll have a better opportunity to be more attacking. I can see by seasons end that barring injuries, the Cats will have the most dynamic back-line in the league and we already know how good the forward line is. The remaining question will be our on-ball brigade, where a fit and healthy Danger becomes paramount but also a possible weak link if he's not 100% right come finals or is injured. Sort out and settle our on-ball brigade by finals time and we will most definitely be the team to beat for the 'big one' and Sav will be very much play a important role when that times comes.

Last edited:

It continually surprises me of poster concerns with regards to Sav's one-on-one contests, give Sav time and he'll be up there with the best one-on-one backman in the league, it's just that he can be a little slow learning in certain fundamental areas of the game when it comes to being a key position backman, which in fairness to him is understandable. At present the guys is in the early stages of learning his craft and for all intense and purposes is doing an exceptional job with playing on some the better key forwards in the comp but give him time and mark my words, there will not be many 'better forwards' in the comp that he won't be able to hold his own.

Personally, I've been wanting Sav to go into the back-line for at least 18 months, as in the end he never had the smarts to be a top forward but the guy has incredible athleticism for his size and body strength and playing a key position back role suits him down to a tee, he doesn't have to turn around. He's also has a attacking mentality to his game, wanting to take the game on, whereby he even goes for marks that he should be punching but he'll quickly work out the best time to mark and the best time to punch.

But what Sav's also gives Geelong is another 'genuine' tall, strong defender (very hard to come-by) taking the best or second best key forward with SDK taking the other, Kolo goes onto the 3rd and so on with remaining backman, which really free's up our backline to have more control over their opponents, hence we'll have a better opportunity to be more attacking. I can see by seasons end that barring injuries, the Cats will have the most dynamic back-line in the league and we already know how good the forward line is. The remaining question will be our on-ball brigade, where a fit and healthy Danger becomes paramount but also a possible weak link if he's not 100% right come finals or is injured. Sort out and settle our on-ball brigade by finals time and we will most definitely be the team to beat for the 'big one' and Sav will be very much play a important role when that times comes.

Spot on Gazza Greatness
He's still got his L plates on but his trajectory is looking very encouraging.
Esava and SDK give us two quality key talls who are also athletic and provide the structure to take on other contenders with talented tall forwards.

I was always worried about his reading of the ball in flight but being behind the footy has largely fixed that , his defensive positioning needs a little work but considering how raw he is that's understandable.
He's now marking the footy so much better as a defender and is learning the balance between clunking them and spoiling. His kicking has been measured and isn't the risk I thought it would be. :thumbsu:
Definitely as asset to the team !!

Yeah we have a rolling defence, match ups change all the time. Sure people might have a primary opponent but within play it's often not clear cut. Kind of a team defence approach. A lot of sagging off to intercept or help track another guy running in. I'd say "losing" an opponent is Savs biggest weakness. His 1v1 contested stats are surprisingly strong and not that much worse Moore's or Andrews', a bit better than Allir's and May's.
Spot on. As I said in another post somewhere: you can see this when at the ground much better than on TV because you can see the play unfolding from up the field whereas the TV view conclusion might be “no one could stop that pass”.

He has a bad habit of watching his opponent and losing them on the lead. The very best defenders watch the ball and decide for themselves where to run. Let’s hope he develops in this area.

People here were sooking about Lonergan right up to when he smashed Cloke in the 2011 GF too. Sav may not be a forward’s buttcrack but he’s on the right trajectory as a defender for sure, hopefully he won’t feel too much like the grass is greener at the end of the year.

I would be signing him to a multi year, he's a different player down back.

Spot on. As I said in another post somewhere: you can see this when at the ground much better than on TV because you can see the play unfolding from up the field whereas the TV view conclusion might be “no one could stop that pass”.

He has a bad habit of watching his opponent and losing them on the lead. The very best defenders watch the ball and decide for themselves where to run. Let’s hope he develops in this area.
Yeah that takes time to master and is harder today with the 666 rule there's not the back up if the ball comes out the front from the bounce,having the good forward take you to the ball can work as most are better at reading it than trainee backs but you must maintain contact quick leading forwards with good supply are a nightmare for all backs.

Having Sav playing solid key position defense could open up other creative ways for us to use not only SDK (already mentioned) but also Jack Henry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would've thought Sav would be in this conversation at the start of the season, or at any time really?

On this seasons form and via stats he'd be behind the first 3 comfortably and Buckley more marginally. Has moved past Allir. May has been a great player but not outstanding this season. Just fairly good.

I dont know about that - its actually what happens in games against theorising about it

I can remember watching the great Gary Malarkey at full back for the Cats - in the early 80s in a game at KP against Carlton - up the city end goals and he was opposed to David Swan McKAY of the Blues - so he was giving away quite a few inches in height

And Malarkey stood 2-3 metres in front of McKay - but he must have turned and looked at McKay 5-6 times in 1 passage of play - to see if he was going to lead - yes he was looking upfield as well - but he was a picture of concentration Malarkey - but his focus was totally on his opponent McKay as to whether he would lead or not

Sav is fast becoming the #1 target to re-sign for this year if hes not already there.

I was puking all thru the game so didnt see it but the highlights are crazy good. His attack on the ball is amazing and his size and athleticism makes him incredibly unique.

GO Catters

He's such a unique and exciting player. Physically unlike anyone I've ever seen - his agility and closing speed combined with his size is something special, and quite rare. He's showing more potential right now than most of us might have dreamed possible. We're extremely lucky to have him while SDK and JHenry are out and while I don't know who goes where, it's hard to see him leaving the team when others return. So good.

He's such a unique and exciting player. Physically unlike anyone I've ever seen - his agility and closing speed combined with his size is something special, and quite rare. He's showing more potential right now than most of us might have dreamed possible. We're extremely lucky to have him while SDK and JHenry are out and while I don't know who goes where, it's hard to see him leaving the team when others return. So good.
Yes. He's going nowhere. Allows Henry to be a utility

Remove this Banner Ad

Back