Doomsday/Prophecies End of the world - false prophecy?

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
With the passing of 2012, and most of 2013 for that matter, have the end of the world theories died or are there still some crackpots suggesting the world is going to end at some random future time?

Don't know why you believe in all of these things GoTheSwannies however, it's ok if you do because it's your opinion.
It just makes you strange that's all if you believe these things.

I don't believe these things. There were a whole heaps of 2012 theories which suggested there was a possibility, even a slight one. But if it didn't happen in 2012 then it won't. Obviously there will be an end, nothing lasts forever, but I was referring to the biblical type end of world predictions.

I don't believe these things. There were a whole heaps of 2012 theories which suggested there was a possibility, even a slight one. But if it didn't happen in 2012 then it won't. Obviously there will be an end, nothing lasts forever, but I was referring to the biblical type end of world predictions.
I think some people are just weird if they believe all the biblical stuff. Whilst it's ok to believe in religion some people take it a little too far.

I would suggest a crackpot would be one who thinks there wouldn't be an end, and a random end, to things. That everything just carries on forever.
No, a crackpot is one who suggests a specific timeframe for the end of the world without any scientific evidence.

I love reading about these crazy theories. I remember watching a documentary about Nibiru in 2008, a planet with a heavily elliptical orbit that came very close to earth every few thousand years or so and disrupted our tectonic plates or some BS. Something like you would see in 2012 the movie with the earth collapsing around you. It actually was a pretty good doco but deep down you know there all BS.

I wouldn't mind a slow zombie style apocalypse with infinite numbers type ending of the world it could be quite good fun for a while before I'm munched on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind a slow zombie style apocalypse with infinite numbers type ending of the world it could be quite good fun for a while before I'm munched on.

3rtsea.jpg

I met some Irish backpacker flog last year who was working as a bartender, and he had a massive tattoo running all the way down the left side of his body with just the numbers "2013". Thought the world was going to end. What a douche.

There will be some other reason for people to believe the world will end, shortly. People love drama!

the earth will end naturally... by the sun getting too close to it and it will burn up

humans/cyborgs will be long gone when that happens
Who knows how or when it will happen.

Large non planetary bodies dislodged from the Kuiper belt, tectonic activity, climate change (man made or otherwise), cataclysmic war or something completely unforeseen.

Currently the planet is undergoing an extinction event, one to which this species is now a major contributor.

Why is there an assumption that the species Homo sapiens will survive it?

As for the world, it's a collection of stardust floating through the infinitude of space. Really, we only existed for the briefest moment, a time completely out of proportion with our own sense of self importance.

As for the world, it's a collection of stardust floating through the infinitude of space. Really, we only existed for the briefest moment, a time completely out of proportion with our own sense of self importance.

Nothing about it is out of proportion because our individual consciences are the only thing that can sense time, therefore we make of it what we will.

Nothing about it is out of proportion because our individual consciences are the only thing that can sense time, therefore we make of it what we will.
Many species of animal can "sense" time.

Time is also a dimension, not merely an abstraction.

In fact, the principle of entropy demonstrates that time can have direction.

So I reiterate, humanity often appears to have a sense of self importance completely out of proportion with the brief period of it's existence.

The universe continues on without you.

I view it like the gossip sections of women's magazines. They print a whole lot of crap knowing that if you say enough of it you've got to get some of it right. No doubt someday someone will get it right and an asteroid will hit earth or the vogons will destroy it for a hyperspace bypass, but until then I'll live in my ignorant bliss of this drama.

Jesus is a sun god. The Sun is normally associated with heat. What the hell do you think Global warming is? It aint the moon doing it.

Sun/rising temperatures. Jesus returns/rises to save us, again?

DO'h

article-0-0EEB679200000578-561_474x256.jpg

That collection of books is as important to history as the collection of structures around Giza.

Large elements of the Republican party in the US are almost certain we're in the end of days.

Personally, when you consider 99% of all species that ever lived on earth are already dead. There are reasonable odds that we'll join them sooner rather than later (even though the human population did get down under 10,000 at one stage, and managed to recover).

Always bet on Crocodiles. And ants. And cockroaches. The rest of us are just borrowing thier planet.

Also, when you consider reptiles had the world for millions of years (as dinosaurs), and now primates have control (humans), its logical to think some other species will get a chance to evolve (ants would be a good bet) and take over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back