Employment & Career Guidance: In Honor Reykjavik 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

No problems PNS - enjoy the sailing, very much jealous. What type of boat are you crewing?
I just got back yesterday but it was a 44.7 foot Beneteau. Very nice boat for racing and we took line honors in our class in almost every race. Unfortunately our handicap meant that we needed to win by a little more than we did but we all enjoyed it just the same.

It's at this point I thought "clueless management type".
and there it is, your ilk are the bane of my existence :drunk:
Lol ok. Generalise much?

I won't get in a slinging match however there are often two sides of the coin and a number of projects I have been brought into help with have involved vendors promising the world in presales and then during implementation raising change request after change request and eventually under delivering. I wouldn't assume you're like this though as that would be a generalisation.

I've navigated between hands-on developer and management for around 20 years, had quite a bit of experience with consultants (both good and bad) and I think I can see it from both sides.

At its worst ...

Developers want to roll the sleeves up and get the job done - and highly paid consultants who are clueless come in and tell them how to suck eggs. They add endless meetings and banal questions and mountains of documentation and all it does is delay the process.

The consultants bring in their fresh perspective, their wide range experience, and strive to address the needs of the business - and they get stonewalled by developers who just want to play with technology and are clueless about how it's going to get paid for.

The ingredients that tend to make it this way (one or more may apply)

- Senior management who are clueless about technology and have NFI what their technology team are telling them and no idea what to expect of them. Something happens (usually bad) and they bring in consultants to have a poke around. (Senior management who have NFI about the technology side of the business often leads to a technology team who are unaccountable and disconnected from the business - it's been one of my pet hates in the past :mad: )

- A technology team with people who have had little experience in other companies / environments (a technology team who are staid, stuck in a rut, and think their way (established 10 years ago) is the only way of doing things :mad: )

- Consultants who have spent the last 5 years advising (eg) mining companies, and get called into a (eg) retail environment and have steep learning curve (Paying consultants big $$$ to learn has been another of my pet hates in the past :mad: )

- Consultants who are new to the consulting game, who recently left a job where they had a fancy title, and they treat consulting like a normal job. It's even worse when their previous job didn't have them dealing with people.

... but it doesn't have to be this way.

Hey guys, needed a little advice on work related stuff so I thought I'd reach out.

A bit of background on myself.. I recently completed honours in psychology and prior to that I qualified as a secondary school teacher. My aim for next year is to be accepted in a postgraduate psych program, so this year I have been trying to boost my profile by doing some volunteer work whilst also looking for work in the field. Whilst I succeeded in picking up a job which is quite related to my skill set, I am still trying to find something that is more mental health or research oriented. I've applied for a tonne of jobs on SEEK with very little luck and I'm wondering if there's anything I can improve on to make myself a more appealing candidate. I'm also in the process of tidying up my resume for job and uni applications, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hey guys, needed a little advice on work related stuff so I thought I'd reach out.

A bit of background on myself.. I recently completed honours in psychology and prior to that I qualified as a secondary school teacher. My aim for next year is to be accepted in a postgraduate psych program, so this year I have been trying to boost my profile by doing some volunteer work whilst also looking for work in the field. Whilst I succeeded in picking up a job which is quite related to my skill set, I am still trying to find something that is more mental health or research oriented. I've applied for a tonne of jobs on SEEK with very little luck and I'm wondering if there's anything I can improve on to make myself a more appealing candidate. I'm also in the process of tidying up my resume for job and uni applications, so any advice would be appreciated.
Wish I could help MT
best of luck

I cant help personally but I have friends who are trying to take more or less the same path as you, but in NZ, so there are probably differences but it sounds more or less the same. They have all worked in CYFS youth facilities for kids who have offended to varying degrees (some quite badly), and others have volunteered for youthline. From what they say it sounds like no amount of volunteering would be too much. Good luck!

I cant help personally but I have friends who are trying to take more or less the same path as you, but in NZ, so there are probably differences but it sounds more or less the same. They have all worked in CYFS youth facilities for kids who have offended to varying degrees (some quite badly), and others have volunteered for youthline. From what they say it sounds like no amount of volunteering would be too much. Good luck!

Well that's sort of the approach I took this yeah, volunteering with mental illness directly through one program and indirectly through the Austin Hospital. The trouble is not knowing what the Unis and the employers are looking for in terms of experience because it's all soo varied

Well that's sort of the approach I took this yeah, volunteering with mental illness directly through one program and indirectly through the Austin Hospital. The trouble is not knowing what the Unis and the employers are looking for in terms of experience because it's all soo varied
I reckon you'd be surprised how much you could learn by just emailing an academic involved in a programme at one of the unis you're interested in. Most probably wont reply but usually uni lecturers are pretty happy helping out with stuff like that, although I've only ever dealt with chemists. Im assuming the volunteering means you're interested in doing some type of clinical psych?

Some ideas ...

- Do you go to conferences? They can be a great way to network with academics. Maybe even prepare and submit a poster on an area of research you're interested in?

- Pick an area you're interested in. Find out who is publishing in the area ( google scholar is a good way to do that), find out who is based at a research institute you want to study at, and figure out a way to get noticed by them.

- There must be a mountain of organisations you can volunteer for. What type of volunteer work is relevant? Counselling? What age and profile? Looks like CFC are associated with a few through their foundation ( http://www.cfcfoundation.com.au ) Maybe http://www.vaccho.org.au could be a good place to start if you're interested in indigenous stuff.

Another idea ...

See if your can figure out what clinical trials are running in your area of interest (must be a way to search through the ethics approvals somehow ... The U.S. have www.clinicaltrials.gov ... There may be an Australian equivalent) and see if you can do some volunteer work on the trial?

Hi PNS - I'm a habitual watcher of employment opportunities everywhere. Strange enough I'm happy in my current role and will be happier when I actually relocate back to Darwin to be imbedded with the company again rather than working away from home, but anyway, I had a little to do with SAP when we rolled it out into a company I worked for a few years ago that was bought by Serco.

Anyway, long story and jibber about nothing, but I do notice a lot of SAP jobs advertised. Seems it's becoming a pretty popular system for companies here in Australia. Here's one advertised today in Melbourne that might interest you and good luck with whatever you choose to do.

View attachment 153029

PieNSauce Did you end up throwing your hat in the ring for this mate?

PieNSauce Did you end up throwing your hat in the ring for this mate?
I didn't actually NT. The fact is I have been getting my head around what I actually want to do from here on. I basically have around 9 or so years before retirement age and I have been thinking that I don't actually want to continue down the same path unless it's very local and long term. With that in mind I am now working on a business plan for my own online business. It's going to take a lot of work but the concept is around providing a development and hosting service for Business Intelligence. It's something that I think would provide a lot of benefit to organisations in terms of lower cost BI and it will allow me to work mostly from home. Anyway, the idea is very much in its infancy at this stage and I have only a little idea of what the obstacles will be but in theory it should be workable. Time will tell.

I didn't actually NT. The fact is I have been getting my head around what I actually want to do from here on. I basically have around 9 or so years before retirement age and I have been thinking that I don't actually want to continue down the same path unless it's very local and long term. With that in mind I am now working on a business plan for my own online business. It's going to take a lot of work but the concept is around providing a development and hosting service for Business Intelligence. It's something that I think would provide a lot of benefit to organisations in terms of lower cost BI and it will allow me to work mostly from home. Anyway, the idea is very much in its infancy at this stage and I have only a little idea of what the obstacles will be but in theory it should be workable. Time will tell.
Great idea.

I've just invested in a Business Optimisation program called integrum which looks very good for what we need in maintaining compliance to 9001, 14001 and 4801 but also is looks a pretty handy tool for BI.

http://www.integrum.com.au/

It's still being built and than we go through integrating all of our current systems online. Interesting to see how it works out but for me who runs business development, quality, environmental and health and safety management for the company I'll take every bit of help I can.

Good luck with it, hope you make more than enough to retire with :thumbsu:

That sounds fantastic PieNSauce !

I can highly recommend looking at joining a startup community. It makes it so much easier having a community of support around you of like-minded folks in the startup space. All the more so for online platforms (how to host, how to set it up, how to market, how to scale it, etc, etc).

One community they have in Melbourne is the York Butter Factory (Google it). I'd imagine there are a whole bunch of them these days.

Good luck!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for taking a while to reply but I've been a little time poor and wanted to respond properly.

I reckon you'd be surprised how much you could learn by just emailing an academic involved in a programme at one of the unis you're interested in. Most probably wont reply but usually uni lecturers are pretty happy helping out with stuff like that, although I've only ever dealt with chemists. Im assuming the volunteering means you're interested in doing some type of clinical psych?

Clinical psych is definitely the path I'm most interested in. It just affords you the most diversity and flexibility in terms of your employment options and doesn't restrict the type of clients you work with. I briefly considered sport psych and was even accepted into a course for it, but it didn't really line up with the sort of work I wanted to do and I thought it best not to settle for something my heart wasn't truly in.

Some ideas ...

- Do you go to conferences? They can be a great way to network with academics. Maybe even prepare and submit a poster on an area of research you're interested in?

- Pick an area you're interested in. Find out who is publishing in the area ( google scholar is a good way to do that), find out who is based at a research institute you want to study at, and figure out a way to get noticed by them.

- There must be a mountain of organisations you can volunteer for. What type of volunteer work is relevant? Counselling? What age and profile? Looks like CFC are associated with a few through their foundation ( http://www.cfcfoundation.com.au ) Maybe http://www.vaccho.org.au could be a good place to start if you're interested in indigenous stuff.

Looking at attending the big APS conference in October as it happens to be the 50th Anniversary of the event and I thought it might be a good place to do a little networking. I'll speak to my honours supervisor this week and see if he's going up and we might be able to put a little something together based on our work last year. Terrific suggestion though 76!

In terms of research, the area I'm most keen on is alcohol and drug research, addiction etc. The supervisor I worked with last year is one of the more accomplished researchers in that area, so I'm keeping in close contact with him and his peers throughout this whole process.

Another idea ...

See if your can figure out what clinical trials are running in your area of interest (must be a way to search through the ethics approvals somehow ... The U.S. have www.clinicaltrials.gov ... There may be an Australian equivalent) and see if you can do some volunteer work on the trial?

That's a really good suggestion 76.. I never really thought of it that way. There are a few organisations I know about so I might just send some feelers out and see what we get back.

Thanks for the advice and support :)

It might be my time to join the discussion, and see if I can gather some perspectives of others to potentially help in my decision making and to make my decision a more informed one.

My education background is a bachelor of business in marketing.

And my work has been/presently is in marketing and admin in the tertiary education sector, with also some background working in the non-profit sector.

I am strongly considering completing a masters in teaching (primary) at Melbourne/Monash/Deakin with the intent to become a primary school teacher. The reason being, I'm looking for something more fulfilling, and something that can take me out of the mindset of clocking in, clocking out, and to do something I feel I'm getting more satisfaction out of, beyond just working purely for efficiency/accuracy as I presently am.

If there are any teachers out there, particularly at the primary level. I'd be interested in gaining some insight as to your likes/dislikes about working in the area and also how easy as a male it would be to find work in specifically the eastern suburbs of Melbourne (which is where I would choose to work as that is where I live and hope one day to have a family).

If anyone has studied a masters of teaching at Melbourne/Monash or Deakin I'd also be interested in hearing some perspectives as to what you liked/didn't like about the course/university. As all three universities are considerations at this point.

Thanks in advance.

It might be my time to join the discussion, and see if I can gather some perspectives of others to potentially help in my decision making and to make my decision a more informed one.

My education background is a bachelor of business in marketing.

And my work has been/presently is in marketing and admin in the tertiary education sector, with also some background working in the non-profit sector.

I am strongly considering completing a masters in teaching (primary) at Melbourne/Monash/Deakin with the intent to become a primary school teacher. The reason being, I'm looking for something more fulfilling, and something that can take me out of the mindset of clocking in, clocking out, and to do something I feel I'm getting more satisfaction out of, beyond just working purely for efficiency/accuracy as I presently am.

If there are any teachers out there, particularly at the primary level. I'd be interested in gaining some insight as to your likes/dislikes about working in the area and also how easy as a male it would be to find work in specifically the eastern suburbs of Melbourne (which is where I would choose to work as that is where I live and hope one day to have a family).

If anyone has studied a masters of teaching at Melbourne/Monash or Deakin I'd also be interested in hearing some perspectives as to what you liked/didn't like about the course/university. As all three universities are considerations at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Knighta. Teaching is certainly a rewarding gig and I encourage you to look at both Primary and Secondary teaching to see which fits your skill set and lifestyle more. Having been a secondary school teacher, I can tell you that it is incredibly enjoyable but can be a royal pain in the ass at times (PM for more details). This year however I've done a lot more work with primary school students and teachers and have thoroughly enjoyed the different interactions and learning needs of these kids.

In terms of employment opportunities, the word is that male primary school teachers are sought after which bodes well for you.

Have you done any work with kids in the past, be it tutoring or assisting in classes?

Hey Knighta. Teaching is certainly a rewarding gig and I encourage you to look at both Primary and Secondary teaching to see which fits your skill set and lifestyle more. Having been a secondary school teacher, I can tell you that it is incredibly enjoyable but can be a royal pain in the ass at times (PM for more details). This year however I've done a lot more work with primary school students and teachers and have thoroughly enjoyed the different interactions and learning needs of these kids.

In terms of employment opportunities, the word is that male primary school teachers are sought after which bodes well for you.

Have you done any work with kids in the past, be it tutoring or assisting in classes?

Thanks for the response the mighty T.

I'm looking more at primary specifically.

Secondary teaching I don't feel I have that grasp on the subject matter I'd require (I'm more someone who struggled at school with the content learnt, then came into my own and was among the top of my classes at bachelor level). I also with the subjects taught at secondary level never necessary had the interest in the subject matter taught. Economics and National Politics in Y11/12 were the only subjects from years 7-12 I found to be of any value, interest or usefulness. So I'd find it difficult to teach something I don't passionately believe will be of great usefulness to everyone, with the secondary school curriculum certainly from my time as a student feeling completely wrong. Whereas at primary school level, the things taught there to me anyway feel more like essential skills and knowledge that regardless of the paths taken later on with views towards employment in particular areas will be critical learnings, which makes me from that perspective buy-in a lot more to teaching at a primary level.

With primary level I also find appealing the idea that every day I would be seeing the same students in front of me growing, and I feel I could in a sense be more influential in promoting their early development and helping them to be the best versions of themselves that they can be which is more what I'd be looking towards. I also feel I have the patience and calmness to work best with students of primary school ages. So as a person I feel that fits me a lot better.

I do have some teaching experience in a sense. I've taught (informally) chess to some small groups of secondary school students of a lunchtime for a year or so during my studies. I also earlier this year to get more of a taste for teaching and more knowledge in the area completed some training to teach non-english speaking adults some english which I found interesting and had the opportunity to one on one teach a non-english speaker which I enjoyed. The types of things learnt were very much geared towards how you would teach primary school students and that intrigued me.

I have dabbled in the idea of assisting at a school to gain greater insight first hand, but due to full time work commitments that at this point isn't a viable option. If I can reduce to part time work next year I may consider for a year deferring my studies and volunteering at a school locally for a day or two per week.

Have you found most schools keen to take on prospective teachers who are keen to volunteer? Any tips as to how to get a foot in the door if I was to go that route? Or who to contact? (As someone not in contact with anyone from any particular primary schools - or even knowing anyone in teaching for that matter)

And with the university intake periods for masters of teaching only for Feb/March, either way I plan to apply and then if required defer and begin studies the following year.

In terms of courses. I'm looking mostly at:
Melbourne: Masters of Teaching (Primary)
Monash (Clayton): Masters of Teaching (Early Years + Primary) - due to just Primary not being offered offered at this campus.
Deakin (Burwood): Masters of Teaching (Primary)

I'd also be interested in any takes regarding specifically the Masters of Teaching (Early Years + Primary) at Monash v Masters of Teaching (Primary) at Deakin. My interest would be in teaching at a primary school level, so I'd be interested as someone looking specifically to go into primary teaching whether one course would be more appealing to prospective employers/schools? Whether they would prefer I do just the straight primary, or whether having the early years element would add or subtract from my value as a prospective primary teacher?)
Of those two, I'm slightly leaning towards Monash (on the assumption that the early years element won't in any way affect my potential for employment as a primary teacher). But I'm deciding as to my preferences of universities/course, and still require more information/opinions to help make the most informed decision possible.

Hi Mighty T, another area you could possibly look is HR given your background. I know it's quite removed from research, research is a very tough gig in Australia as you know. On the other hand, research is a great background to parachute into other areas as it gives real intensity of purpose, a team approach and is very driven to budget, timing and outcome.
Strong HR people are very sought after in Australia and it an area you can move too with that other ( research as an example ) background. tends to produce rounded mature people.
Good luck whichever way you go.

Hi Knightmare, enjoyed reading your input on this OP.
Have you ever considered a volunteer 'teaching' role overseas an entrée into a Masters course? It would give you that exposure to formal teaching and be a really rewarding and rounding few/months both for your resume and your personal development.
There is a real trend toward having 'rounded' people in those government, semi government and service sectors like policing/ fire services/ teaching etc
Good luck with your career whichever way your steer it!!

Secondary teaching I don't feel I have that grasp on the subject matter I'd require (I'm more someone who struggled at school with the content learnt, then came into my own and was among the top of my classes at bachelor level). I also with the subjects taught at secondary level never necessary had the interest in the subject matter taught. Economics and National Politics in Y11/12 were the only subjects from years 7-12 I found to be of any value, interest or usefulness. So I'd find it difficult to teach something I don't passionately believe will be of great usefulness to everyone, with the secondary school curriculum certainly from my time as a student feeling completely wrong. Whereas at primary school level, the things taught there to me anyway feel more like essential skills and knowledge that regardless of the paths taken later on with views towards employment in particular areas will be critical learnings, which makes me from that perspective buy-in a lot more to teaching at a primary level.

With primary level I also find appealing the idea that every day I would be seeing the same students in front of me growing, and I feel I could in a sense be more influential in promoting their early development and helping them to be the best versions of themselves that they can be which is more what I'd be looking towards. I also feel I have the patience and calmness to work best with students of primary school ages. So as a person I feel that fits me a lot better.

I do have some teaching experience in a sense. I've taught (informally) chess to some small groups of secondary school students of a lunchtime for a year or so during my studies. I also earlier this year to get more of a taste for teaching and more knowledge in the area completed some training to teach non-english speaking adults some english which I found interesting and had the opportunity to one on one teach a non-english speaker which I enjoyed. The types of things learnt were very much geared towards how you would teach primary school students and that intrigued me.

I have dabbled in the idea of assisting at a school to gain greater insight first hand, but due to full time work commitments that at this point isn't a viable option. If I can reduce to part time work next year I may consider for a year deferring my studies and volunteering at a school locally for a day or two per week.

Have you found most schools keen to take on prospective teachers who are keen to volunteer? Any tips as to how to get a foot in the door if I was to go that route? Or who to contact? (As someone not in contact with anyone from any particular primary schools - or even knowing anyone in teaching for that matter)

And with the university intake periods for masters of teaching only for Feb/March, either way I plan to apply and then if required defer and begin studies the following year.

Monash (Clayton): Masters of Teaching (Early Years + Primary) - due to just Primary not being offered offered at this campus.

I'd also be interested in any takes regarding specifically the Masters of Teaching (Early Years + Primary) at Monash v Masters of Teaching (Primary) at Deakin. My interest would be in teaching at a primary school level, so I'd be interested as someone looking specifically to go into primary teaching whether one course would be more appealing to prospective employers/schools? Whether they would prefer I do just the straight primary, or whether having the early years element would add or subtract from my value as a prospective primary teacher?)
Of those two, I'm slightly leaning towards Monash (on the assumption that the early years element won't in any way affect my potential for employment as a primary teacher). But I'm deciding as to my preferences of universities/course, and still require more information/opinions to help make the most informed decision possible.

I haven't quite grasped the ability to segment a post into separate quotes, so I'll just respond to your paragraphs chronologically :)

Fair enough, I can definitely understand that if it doesn't line up with your values about education then primary is probably the best option for you. I will say however that your knowledge of subject matter is far less important than your ability to engage with an audience and create rapport with your students.. if you can make that connection and have that buy in, you can teach anything.

Here in lies the big draw card and advantage of primary school teaching, and its great that you've identified that early on. I think if you've got that extra bit of patience you'll do well in the primary sector.

With that I'd probably suggest just diving into the studies, if indeed that is an option. You'll start placement almost immediately and that would be the best way to network with schools and look at volunteering for after hours programs. With the masters you'll do a bit more placement than I did over the two years, which is definitely a good foundation.

I've found that it's fairly easy for students to volunteer their services in extra curricular activities like after school care or some tutoring, but it can be difficult to jump in as a teachers aid or just an observer without a foot in the door. That all becomes a lot easier once a school knows you, or you've had placement there but it's certainly not impossible. I'd look at speaking to one of the assistant principals just as a starting point and just gauge how they feel about it.

Im not as familiar with the Monash and Deakin courses, but I know that Melbourne does a lot for their students and grads because they're incredibly well connected. Also ACU have a very good teaching program from all reports which you may or may not want to consider.

Hope that helps a little.

It seems like you've made up your mind anyway but don't be discouraged from teaching at secondary level just because you struggled with the content back at school. I struggled at that level and even first year uni but have taught in the lab at uni with no problems. Some of it was just instructional but there was a lot of on-the-spot explanation of theory and concepts required and I did fine. If anything the fact that you struggled might make you an even better teacher

Hi Knightmare, enjoyed reading your input on this OP.
Have you ever considered a volunteer 'teaching' role overseas an entrée into a Masters course? It would give you that exposure to formal teaching and be a really rewarding and rounding few/months both for your resume and your personal development.
There is a real trend toward having 'rounded' people in those government, semi government and service sectors like policing/ fire services/ teaching etc
Good luck with your career whichever way your steer it!!

Thanks for the idea Stripes B and W. And it's a very good idea and I really like the way you're thinking towards maximising employment chances.

I have considered similar, and a close friend of mine who I studied with does exactly that travelling Asia, and teaching as a way to fund his travels/adventures. And I have spoken to him in some depth on just that.

I briefly considered with an ELICOS program (non-English speaking uni students) completing some teaching and teaching them English, back in the latter portion of my studies, but due to time constraints and having other things on my schedule at the time I had no time.

Most likely I will either just continue on with my present work for another year, reduce my hours of work next year if I can acquire some type of volunteer placement within a school for a couple of days a week just to get more of a taste for it, or otherwise dive straight into my studies.
At this stage I'm more financially motivated, not so much in terms of end income figures, but more so I don't want to lose a year or half year of income if it can be avoided. That and I have a partner in Melbourne.
So travelling now for me isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I haven't quite grasped the ability to segment a post into separate quotes, so I'll just respond to your paragraphs chronologically :)

Fair enough, I can definitely understand that if it doesn't line up with your values about education then primary is probably the best option for you. I will say however that your knowledge of subject matter is far less important than your ability to engage with an audience and create rapport with your students.. if you can make that connection and have that buy in, you can teach anything.

Here in lies the big draw card and advantage of primary school teaching, and its great that you've identified that early on. I think if you've got that extra bit of patience you'll do well in the primary sector.

With that I'd probably suggest just diving into the studies, if indeed that is an option. You'll start placement almost immediately and that would be the best way to network with schools and look at volunteering for after hours programs. With the masters you'll do a bit more placement than I did over the two years, which is definitely a good foundation.

I've found that it's fairly easy for students to volunteer their services in extra curricular activities like after school care or some tutoring, but it can be difficult to jump in as a teachers aid or just an observer without a foot in the door. That all becomes a lot easier once a school knows you, or you've had placement there but it's certainly not impossible. I'd look at speaking to one of the assistant principals just as a starting point and just gauge how they feel about it.

Im not as familiar with the Monash and Deakin courses, but I know that Melbourne does a lot for their students and grads because they're incredibly well connected. Also ACU have a very good teaching program from all reports which you may or may not want to consider.

Hope that helps a little.

Terrific notes. Just what I was hoping to hear. I'll take on a lot of this.

What types of opportunities are there in terms of after hours programs? Would that be volunteering with after school type programs?

I could if I wasn't working always run a chess coaching program as an after school program, if the school were to provide me with the resources. So that may open some doors.

It sounds terrific the way opportunities during the studies will open up, and all the placements will be just what I would need, with experience the way I'll gain competence.

ACU I was strongly considering and would be on my short list. I like the idea that they are a smaller university, the problem with them is I have received confirmation that I would not be accepted there as they require students to have completing some teaching subjects during their bachelor degree, which weren't available to me during my studies. So they as a result are not an option.

With the teaching placements, as a general feel. What is the flexibility as to where you teach? Do they just stick you anywhere? Or can you select as an example private/catholic schools, or schools in a particular region (eg Eastern Suburbs)? Or is it simply, you get what you are given and you are required to take it? I have no particular preference as to school type, but location is something that would be fairly important in terms of the viability of completing placements.

Thanks again for the insight. Terrific information.

It seems like you've made up your mind anyway but don't be discouraged from teaching at secondary level just because you struggled with the content back at school. I struggled at that level and even first year uni but have taught in the lab at uni with no problems. Some of it was just instructional but there was a lot of on-the-spot explanation of theory and concepts required and I did fine. If anything the fact that you struggled might make you an even better teacher

Interesting insight. And I'm certainly hoping the latter proves to be the case, where my struggles will help make me more effective, assuming I go down the teaching route. It makes sense from a logic standpoint, that those who were extremely successful in school may have less patience and tolerance of students who struggle to learn as easily as they can.

My struggles have certainly given me a level of patience and understanding that like myself, different people learn at different paces and learn in different ways, and just need to figure out how to learn to gain that understanding, and sometimes it just requires trying a few different things to get over those hurdles, and some reflecting and understanding of ones self. Which hopefully I would in teaching be able to unlock for some young people earlier than otherwise may be the case.

Terrific notes. Just what I was hoping to hear. I'll take on a lot of this.

What types of opportunities are there in terms of after hours programs? Would that be volunteering with after school type programs?

I could if I wasn't working always run a chess coaching program as an after school program, if the school were to provide me with the resources. So that may open some doors.

It sounds terrific the way opportunities during the studies will open up, and all the placements will be just what I would need, with experience the way I'll gain competence.

ACU I was strongly considering and would be on my short list. I like the idea that they are a smaller university, the problem with them is I have received confirmation that I would not be accepted there as they require students to have completing some teaching subjects during their bachelor degree, which weren't available to me during my studies. So they as a result are not an option.

With the teaching placements, as a general feel. What is the flexibility as to where you teach? Do they just stick you anywhere? Or can you select as an example private/catholic schools, or schools in a particular region (eg Eastern Suburbs)? Or is it simply, you get what you are given and you are required to take it? I have no particular preference as to school type, but location is something that would be fairly important in terms of the viability of completing placements.

Thanks again for the insight. Terrific information.

In high schools it's simple stuff like attending homework clubs and just assisting in that way. You may even be able to come in as a guest speaker, so If you know any teachers or decide to get in contact with an old teacher, you might be able to arrange something with them. In primary schools there could be wide reading groups that you could assist with. In an ideal world you'd be able to find some work as a teachers aide, working with kids in integration. However, I believe you'd need some sort of qualification for that. But its abstract thinking like that (chess club) that will help you get noticed within a school.

That's a little surprising to hear from ACU, but I imagine it's being run that way as a means of ensuring their graduates get entry. I have a friend currently doing primary at RMIT up in Bundoora, she is finding it rather enjoyable. Its much of a muchness in terms of the teaching, its really the accessibility of placement that seems to change between unis.. this is where being at Melbourne has its advantages.

Universities will "try" to place you somewhere around where you live, but as you can imagine there are always exceptions. Melbourne Uni has a good relationship with its schools so you will generally be looked after by them. There is a little flexibility and you can request to be placed at a particular school based on if you have contacts there. But that's on you, doing a bit of research and being in touch with teachers at schools that you're interested in working with. I think it would be good to have variety in your placement, so I'd be looking at trying for a placement at both a private and a public school

What a fascinating and amusing thread. Fun to read when I should be working. o_O

I'm doing screenwriting at RMIT at the moment (to add to the OP) and part of that includes documentary making. I'm currently making a doco on a late 19th/early 20th century boxer (Peter Jackson). Just got back from Sydney with my eldest daughter who helped me shoot it.

I've got a decent camera and editing suite so if anyone is interested in script-writing, doco making or shooting their own short thing, let me know. Always interested in collaborating and some co-operative set-up with equipment and space if anyone is into that sort of thing.

I've got an idea for your next one - a doco on that really, really adventurous young guy who flew planes and stuff and ended up in a small plane crash - forgot his name, but a natural hero. Don't understand why he's not an Aussie legend. must look him up.

When not imbibing I am teaching 6 year olds.

:eek:

Bit of a random thought but stick with me. I watched a documentary recently on a retirement home in Italy, the Casa Verdi, which was paid for by Giuseppe Verdi to cater exclusively for aged and retired opera performers.

So instead of a random bunch of retirees with varied interests sitting around withering away and doing the hokey-pokey (the cultural equivalent of elevator music - intended to be offensive to none but uninteresting to all) they are all actively involved in continuing to do what they loved in life with great independence, vitality and dignity. The very specificity of that place I think is amazing and I reckon such themed retirement homes should be rolled out everywhere (those interested in music, sport, writing/art, gardening etc) but that's for another conversation perhaps.

Regarding employment/interests, it's difficult sometimes to find like-minded people to collaborate with. I reckon this thread has shown that there is a cross-pollination of interests. Young Bard the bard for example is studying film at Swinburne and yours truly screenwriting/doco at RMIT. There appear to be a heap of project managers, IT people, scientists and the like as well.

Maybe we can set-up some threads in the nest based on joint interests/projects/job opportunities/training/networking opportunities. So for example, 'the writing thread' or 'the Project Management thread' where interested folk can post upcoming events, seminars, industry tricks, contacts or projects that people might want to get off the ground.

We all love Collingwood but it would be good if we can truly be 'side by side' and help a brother or sister out as Reyk clearly did with others. It might also take some heat out of discussions on footy matters and civilise the board a bit.

What do people think?

Yes, and book me into that home.

I'm currently in year 12 and am thinking of doing architecture in uni to become an architect. Does anyone have any experience with this. Apparently there's not much work in architecture but that seems the same for every line of work.

I can give you some insights. I am not an architect, but have worked in a small-medium sized architecture practice for 15 years. My daughter is an architect, at a large and highly regarded firm in Sydney, with a national presence. My son-in-law runs his own small architecture practice in Sydney.

The bad news is that many architects work very long hours, and do not get paid as well as, for instance engineers, for equivalent years at uni and experience in the work force. The architects I know often do weekend work (no such thing as overtime). And the degree - I am familiar with the programs at Melb Uni and RMIT - is tough, and has a very high drop out rate. I've heard as many as 60-70% of students who start the course, dont finish it. But dont quote me on that, it is just anecdotal. Depending on the type of work, dealing with clients can also be tedious and demanding. In our office, we have a standing rule to never give our mobile phone numbers to clients, or our lives would be hell.:D

The good news is that it can be incredibly rewarding. Good and beautiful things are created by architects. It is a profession where you can have a positive impact on the built environment, and literally see the benefits of all your hard work.

There are also good and bad architecture practices. I have a list of the bad ones in my head.:(

I hope I haven't put you off, it is hard work, but there are upsides.

Not an architect, but used to work in a related field. Most architects love the work, but it's hard to make a good living in the industry at times. In the hard times a lot of young architecture graduates have been forced to work for nothing just to complete their professional practise requirements for registration, which takes 2 years. It can be particularly tough during an economic downturn, especially if you're a sole practitioner. A lucky few prosper and become stars. Some have done very well out of the China boom.

Anyway, any web designers who aren't too pricey out there? My penniless daughter needs a website.

What a fascinating and amusing thread. Fun to read when I should be working. o_O

I've got an idea for your next one - a doco on that really, really adventurous young guy who flew planes and stuff and ended up in a small plane crash - forgot his name, but a natural hero. Don't understand why he's not an Aussie legend. must look him up.

:eek:

Yes, and book me into that home.

Not an architect, but used to work in a related field. Most architects love the work, but it's hard to make a good living in the industry at times. In the hard times a lot of young architecture graduates have been forced to work for nothing just to complete their professional practise requirements for registration, which takes 2 years. It can be particularly tough during an economic downturn, especially if you're a sole practitioner. A lucky few prosper and become stars. Some have done very well out of the China boom.

Anyway, any web designers who aren't too pricey out there? My penniless daughter needs a website.
I've heard squarespace.com is good for building your own website, never used it myself though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back