Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2003
in da hood
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
are there any?

tomorrow is going to be an absolutely crucial day for hauritz.

how's the new 'dutchie' holland going for the victoria, or is mcgain the only spinner in their vic side?

i know nothing about state ranks.

Vic: McGain and Holland seem the only two that would be likely
Mcgain however i dont think will get another go, due to his age
Holland is still to young, but giving some ODI's is the right move, if he is the future

Tas: Krejza is still too expensive, but is showing signs of improvement

Nsw: Steve Smith is the one here. He will play test cricket or One day cricket one day for Australia, its just a matter of when

Qld: Not much regarding spin bowlers, but are producing some quality quick bowlers

Sa: Cullen and Bailey are the two South Australian spinners, and both appear to have deteriated after looking promising.

Wa: um.........[strike]Heal[/strike].....hm na we dont have any bowlers

So as you can see Hauritz is the best option at the moment, untill someone like a Holland, Smith or even Krejza to a lesser degree develops and adds further elements to their game.

Victoria- Holland (in my view our long term ODI spinner)

Tas- No-one, Krezja is awful.

NSW- Smith (although he will be picked as a batsman first and foremost, will bat in the top 6)

QLD- No-one.

SA- Cullen Bailey is the best prospect long term for a test spinner. Has all the tools, now starting to get wickets regularly.

WA- Heal, but is a containing spinner, ODI option.

My great hope was for Shannon Tubb(Tasmania) a few years back but he dropped his leg spin (chinaman) to focus on his batting. And while he got a 300 in 1st Grade he has done stuff all since.

Steve Smith looks like he will be ready in a few years, but Hauritz is looking like he has maturity and abit more tactics in his bowling of late. I hope he kicks on cos atm there is stuff all after that.

Really like the look of Smith as a few others have noted.

Still 19 and is starting to play some exciting cricket with bat and ball. Reminds me of a young Cameron White, hopefully he can keep developing with the ball unlike White did.

Only one that looks possible for Queensland in the future is Jason Floros

Just turned 19 a couple of weeks ago and will take a few years to emerge i reckon, he has potential though :D

Tas- No-one, Krezja is awful.

Xavier Doherty?

Taken two 3 fa's this year in the one dayers, very unlucky that Holland was picked over him for the indian tour.

Doherty not a test option but wouldnt be the worst odi or t20 bowler.

Only one that looks possible for Queensland in the future is Jason Floros

Just turned 19 a couple of weeks ago and will take a few years to emerge i reckon, he has potential though :D

Hes probably the best Queensland spinner right now.
WA have Josh Mangan, he seems to be rated ahead of Heal.
NSW also have Luke Doran and Victoria have Clive Rose both who are rated highly.

SA- Cullen Bailey is the best prospect long term for a test spinner. Has all the tools, now starting to get wickets regularly.

Best prospect? Regular wickets?

Nah..

Xavier Doherty?

Taken two 3 fa's this year in the one dayers, very unlucky that Holland was picked over him for the indian tour.

Doherty not a test option but wouldnt be the worst odi or t20 bowler.

Holland is a better version of Doherty. They are just containing bowlers at best. If we want a containing bowler Hauritz will do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My great hope was for Shannon Tubb(Tasmania) a few years back but he dropped his leg spin (chinaman) to focus on his batting. And while he got a 300 in 1st Grade he has done stuff all since.

Oh hey Shannon! Didn't know you posted on these parts.

You should never have left Tasmania for South Australia.

One of the problems is there's no incentive for states other than NSW or Victoria (and maybe SA) to put any effort into developing spinners as they end up heading to greener pastures in Sydney or Melbourne anyway (MacGill and Casson for WA, Hauritz for QLD).

There's a kid playing for W.A who Shane Warne rates as the most promising leg spinner in the land.

Josh Mangan, think he's about 22 and can more than bat a bit.

Moody is intent on driving the side into the dirt by playing too many dibbly dobblers.

I like the look of Cam Boyce, the young Toombul leggie, who has gone okay for Queensland so far in the Futures League.

Still some way off, but let's face it, spinners have got to be treated like good bottles of red these days. Let them have a bit of time and see what develops.

Also interesting that Queensland has been playing four spinners in the national U-19 titles in Canberra at the moment - Jason Floros and Andrew Tazelaar (both offies) and Ryan Meyer (chinaman) and Jake Hannan (leggie). All four are in the Aussie U-19 squad for the World Cup next year.

Floros is apparently regarded as a batting allrounder in the Bulls circles (and has got two tons on the trot at the nationals), Tazelaar is tall and a handy but not yet a first grade regular, word around the club scene is that Meyer and Hannan are both pretty promising.

Hannan is going to have a game for the Centre of Excellence side that is playing in the Futures League twenty20 series in Melbourne next week as well so will be interesting to see how he goes with that.

But as others have already noted, it is hard enough to be a young spinner in Australia cricket, let alone one that has to play half of their games at the Gabba (although Warney always used to maintain that the Gabba was one of his favourite wickets to bowl on due to the bounce, so maybe there's a false perception that needs to be changed?)

shannon tubb was in my sticker album from 97/98! in the comm. bank academy squad. thought the moniker of 'chinaman bowler' was very odd at the time. :p

Hahaha brad hogg and michael bevan bowled chinamans too! Still can't for the life of me work out why left arm wrist spinners they're called that!

EDIT: Well there you go:
Left-handed wrist spinners, who are much rarer than right-handed wrist-spinners, are called chinaman bowlers, after an early left-arm finger spinner of Chinese descent, Ellis Achong, who sometimes bowled wrist spinners as a variation while playing for the West Indies.

shannon tubb was in my sticker album from 97/98! in the comm. bank academy squad. thought the moniker of 'chinaman bowler' was very odd at the time. :p

I too have this album! Unfortunately for Shannon he did what lots of promising Tassie players do..lose interest and persue short term goals rather than long term, similar to Tom Friend.

@BCF: I am pretty sure he came back to Tassie.

I too have this album! Unfortunately for Shannon he did what lots of promising Tassie players do..lose interest and persue short term goals rather than long term, similar to Tom Friend.

@BCF: I am pretty sure he came back to Tassie.

Correct mate, he sure did. Was never the same player again!

If Smith is picked, and he probably will be, he is more likely to be picked for his batting. I rate his batting much higher than his bowling. Long term we could have Smith and Bailey in our 11 as well as the 3 quicks plus Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back