Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a silver platter kid at the moment. Fantastic attributes. Son of an elite player. Just waiting for it to be handed to him and not sure of what to do when it is handed to him. Needs a role where he has to compete.
You need to compete in any position on the Footy ground.

Right now he strikes me as someone who simply doesn't have the zest or possibly predisposition for it.

I can't speak for piebeast but it made me laugh. You've gone from we have to play the kids because we're cooked to we have to play the kids because of finals and actually seem disappointed that the club is trying to win a premiership.

I remember when I was sick of transformers and wanted a new toy, so all good.

Careful. You might be labelled an optimistic nong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not so sure about this. There was a moment late in the game where he was running through the centre, and for once he turned on the jets and blew past the player chasing him. Looked fantastic in that moment,. He's gotten in the habit of running in circles then getting into trouble, and having to do a wild handball to nobody.
What he really needs is to stand in front of the mirror and remind himself he's 194cm and almost ran the fastest 20m sprint ever. No running around packs, run through them. He just plays like he's a bit unsure of himself at the moment. I like sr36's idea of moving him back. Let him just run some straight lines out of defense and take the game on.
I'm referring to Physical burst whilst from a standing start. He's fine while in the motion of running, it's his lack of core strength that's holding him back.

Right now he strikes me as someone who simply doesn't have the zest or possibly predisposition for it.
Echoes of Will Kelly (who rarely looked interested to me)?

I hope you’re wrong, and that it’s a confidence and maturity thing with Ed.

Fair appraisal.

Do you think Allan might have had more opportunities if he was drafted by another club?

I haven't seen much of the kid but it would be tough to break into a premiership side which bats so deep in his ideal position.

Perhaps we've also been spoiled by how easily N. Daicos slotted right in (and then made the AFL world his oyster).
I don't think it makes as big a difference as some do. Certainly not for the kids who end up being good AFL players. They usually dont find it too hard to push out the no 23 or 22 of the team even in a top team as they are usually immediately better that those players. To be extreme Nick Daicos is immediately one of the first few picked at Collingwood in his 1st season. We have been spoilt by ND but almost all the kids who end up being good play early.

If you look through our list at players who came into the system at 18yo none of them didnt play 1st season, even in good years, bar Tom Mitchell who had injuries 1st year of the Swans. Even slow starters like Crisp and J Daicos played year 1.

I just don't see it as a great sign when a player is well into the 2nd season and not looking close to AFL selection. Its only looking at numbers but most of the players in that group don't make it. I know there are exceptions but arguing exceptions doesn't really make much sense.

I don't think it makes as big a difference as some do. Certainly not for the kids who end up being good AFL players. They usually dont find it too hard to push out the no 23 or 22 of the team even in a top team as they are usually immediately better that those players. To be extreme Nick Daicos is immediately one of the first few picked at Collingwood in his 1st season. We have been spoilt by ND but almost all the kids who end up being good play early.

If you look through our list at players who came into the system at 18yo none of them didnt play 1st season, even in good years, bar Tom Mitchell who had injuries 1st year of the Swans. Even slow starters like Crisp and J Daicos played year 1.

I just don't see it as a great sign when a player is well into the 2nd season and not looking close to AFL selection. Its only looking at numbers but most of the players in that group don't make it. I know there are exceptions but arguing exceptions doesn't really make much sense.
This is spot on and the cold, hard reality of a lot of our youngsters. It's probably why we top up with SSP players and the like. I'm prepared to give Allan a bit more time because of his size though.

I don't think we've just been spoiled by Nick though. I think that's Ed's (and to a lesser extent Fin's) issue in terms of expectations

Nick instantly came in
Ginni kinda became first picked quickly
Beau became first picked quickly
Q became first picked quickly

We've actually had quite a lot of sub 21 kids establish themselves in the 23 fairly quickly which I think is affecting expectations on others

Last edited:
I don't think we've just been spoiled by Nick though. I think that's Ed's (and to a lesser extent Fin's) issue in terms of expectations

Nick instantly came in
Ginni kinda became first picked quickly
Beau became first picked quickly
Q became first picked quickly

We've actually had quite a lot of sub 21 kids establish themselves in the 23 fairly quickly which I think is affecting expectations on others
Agreed. Thats exactly what I am saying. Spoilt by Nick only in the sense he is the extreme example of good kids are good early. As I said look through the list and everyone who is good played early. Bobby Hill who was probably 65 kg in his 1st season was playing finals that year in a strong team as another example.

Finn especially has to buck a very strong trend if he makes it and Ed is heading down that path but has more time.

I don't think it makes as big a difference as some do. Certainly not for the kids who end up being good AFL players. They usually dont find it too hard to push out the no 23 or 22 of the team even in a top team as they are usually immediately better that those players.
Ed’s stagnation is moderately concerning. It isn’t helped by the fact that his best position is likely inside mid, and his secondary role on the wing, which he’s been getting experience at in the VFL, has Steele Sidebottom and Josh Daicos ahead of him in the AFL.

I’d like to see us give him and Harry a shit-ton of centre square exposure in the VFL this year, perhaps with both rotating through half-back and sharing time with Sullivan, Bytel, Long and co.

Edward had some serious growing pains. Mark my words, he will be a star.
He is being eased in.
Besides that he has been very good in the last 3 weeks.
15 disposals, 7 tackles and 5 marks in a losing side.
Look at the numbers in the 2 games before this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed’s stagnation is moderately concerning. It isn’t helped by the fact that his best position is likely inside mid, and his secondary role on the wing, which he’s been getting experience at in the VFL, has Steele Sidebottom and Josh Daicos ahead of him in the AFL.

I’d like to see us give him and Harry a s**t-ton of centre square exposure in the VFL this year, perhaps with both rotating through half-back and sharing time with Sullivan, Bytel, Long and co.
That he has another two years up his sleeve means he will get his chance at some stage.

I’d like to see us give him and Harry a s**t-ton of centre square exposure in the VFL this year, perhaps with both rotating through half-back and sharing time with Sullivan, Bytel, Long and co.
Fair call. Agree moderately concerning is the level. Would also add if he was already AFL level he wouldnt be held back by the position he plays in the VFL, he would still stand out.

I hear played horribly and was one of our worst, and that may still be true, but 15 possessions and 7 tackles is not irreversibly bad.

Stats can lie.

Was lot worse then Ed

Fair call. Agree moderately concerning is the level. Would also add if he was already AFL level he wouldnt be held back by the position he plays in the VFL, he would still stand out.
My concern is a bit more than moderate. It's the lack of intent or any "moments" in his current play. Strangely for a bloke with his attributes, he's just playing really vanilla footy.

Perhaps it's confidence and he'll work out how to use his attributes, but he's got to start showing more. He's just drifting.

My concern is a bit more than moderate. It's the lack of intent or any "moments" in his current play. Strangely for a bloke with his attributes, he's just playing really vanilla footy.

Perhaps it's confidence and he'll work out how to use his attributes, but he's got to start showing more. He's just drifting.
A pretty bad assessment of how he's travelling.
Look at the numbers in the last 3 weeks.

Will not argue because your view is sensible and as Cousin of Daicos alluded it's not just N. Daicos who ploughed his way into the 22, it was IQ, Ginni, etc.

Timing is important though.

Would J. Daicos as you remember him in his first couple of years at the club got a game in the current side? Ginni? They were both afforded opportunities when we had less depth and were not in premiership contention.

This doesn't mean that all is right in the Allan world, nor does it discount the point that "if he was good enough to be in the 22 right now, he'd be playing".

A pretty bad assessment of how he's travelling.
Look at the numbers in the last 3 weeks.
Did you watch his 25 possession game the previous week?

The way he's getting the ball and what he's doing when he's got it isn't looking AFL at the moment. He's a long way off. Hopefully it clicks

Will not argue because your view is sensible and as Cousin of Daicos alluded it's not just N. Daicos who ploughed his way into the 22, it was IQ, Ginni, etc.

Timing is important though.

Would J. Daicos as you remember him in his first couple of years at the club got a game in the current side? Ginni? They were both afforded opportunities when we had less depth and were not in premiership contention.

This doesn't mean that all is right in the Allan world, nor does it discount the point that "if he was good enough to be in the 22 right now, he'd be playing".
Josh Daicos got games in his 1st season. His 2nd year he played 10 in a team that went superclose to winning the flag, in front with a couple of minutes left in the GF. So I dont see a huge difference in opportunity. Josh was also one we rate as being slow compared to most of the good players as far as showing out in his 1st seasons. It was his third that really sparked worries.

Ed can make it but he is way off the level Josh got to in his 2nd season. Hopefully he closes that by a long way come the end of 24.

Did you watch his 25 possession game the previous week?

The way he's getting the ball and what he's doing when he's got it isn't looking AFL at the moment. He's a long way off. Hopefully it clicks
It will. I like your posts sr36 .
To me he's travelling along nicely.

It will. I like your posts sr36 .
To me he's travelling along nicely.

I hope you're right. But the old man and the wombat we have running around in the seniors shows that midfield is still played primarily above the shoulders - physical attributes are the icing, but the cake is knowing what you're doing out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back