Movie Dune

Remove this Banner Ad

The franchise part is right - I mean they already have a spin-off series coming.

I always thought Dune was a bit niche to turn into a lucrative, multimedia franchise but they are making a go of it.

It is niche and it shouldn't be a franchise but hopefully the TV series is going to be good. The premise is promising.

Dune Messiah confirmation helps to round off Paul's story, then good luck to anyone who wants to adapt the rest of the books.

It is niche and it shouldn't be a franchise but hopefully the TV series is going to be good. The premise is promising.

Dune Messiah confirmation helps to round off Paul's story, then good luck to anyone who wants to adapt the rest of the books.
Yay fast forward a few thousand years after Leto II binds with a bunch of mini sandworms and turns into a man worm hybrid.

lack of any real character development (outside of Paul) or real interactions between characters
Lady Jessica's arch into sinister power-weilding Reverend Mother was pretty cool character development. Rebecca Ferguson smashed it.

DV also said in an interview that he hates dialogue, and that images and sound are what makes cinema. I don't necessarily agree with this take, but it does show where his priorities lie.

Lady Jessica's arch into sinister power-weilding Reverend Mother was pretty cool character development. Rebecca Ferguson smashed it.

DV also said in an interview that he hates dialogue, and that images and sound are what makes cinema. I don't necessarily agree with this take, but it does show where his priorities lie.
Yeah, I read the same thing (maybe not the interview itself, but an article that mentioned that quote) and like you, I don't think I agree with it either.

But about her development, it just seemed to happen, rather than actually develop. For me, at least.

I really enjoyed it, one of the better films I've ever seen.

I'm glad I didn't know about a part 3 because the final battle and ending would have been even more underwhelming.

I think it does a better job than part 1 in regards to the storyline but in the end I was just blown away by how good they made the desert look and I never got bored of it.

I would have liked to see how they get everyone on the worms when they ride them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can make a very good movie by epic images and sound but a great movie usually also has well written characters. If you don't have good dialogue you are really limiting the actors' abilities to portray the characters. And good dialog doesn't mean you have to sacrifice the cinematography.

For example

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Pulp Fiction
Heat
Leon The Professional
American Beauty
The Truman Show
Dead Poet's Society
The Shining
Dances With Wolves
True Romance

More recently, Poor Things.

You can make a very good movie by epic images and sound but a great movie usually also has well written characters. If you don't have good dialogue you are really limiting the actors' abilities to portray the characters. And good dialog doesn't mean you have to sacrifice the cinematography.

For example

Pulp Fiction
Heat
Leon The Professional
American Beauty
The Truman Show
Dead Poet's Society
The Shining
Dances With Wolves
True Romance

I thought Dune P2 had some decent monologues in it however based on the book, most of the dialogue is within the characters head. Not sure if David Lynch's concept of voice over still faces would have work this time around.

For example

Pulp Fiction
Heat
Leon The Professional
American Beauty
The Truman Show
Dead Poet's Society
The Shining
Dances With Wolves
True Romance

Good points and I love these movies.

Hard to compare Dune P2, a sci fi epic, with these though. On a whole different level of scope and scale.

For me it's akin to LOTR. Throwing the kitchen sink at every technical aspect. Both give an overview of a much deeper world, which people can then explore more if they wish.

Thought there was some pretty effective characterisation. Javier Bardem's interpretation of Stilgar was genius and offered some comic relief not really present in the book.

It obviously worked for me but at the end of day can understand people finding flaws with it. Always the case when adapting big and beloved works of fiction.

Dune Part Two is now released digitally, which means you can buy or rent it.
day talk GIF

Watched the Dune Part 2 but just the 3rd act after Paul takes the water of life. Geez that act goes too quickly.

Really wished they could have extended the final scene in the hall with Paul, Gaius Mohiam & The Emperor interacting more to pay-off the revenge plot.

Paul's battle with Feyd was perfect. Gurney's battle with Raban was too brief. Still not satisfied with the Barons death either.

It's a pity DV will not do an extended cut for both P1 and P2 even on the small screen to satisfy the fans of the series.

Watched the Dune Part 2 but just the 3rd act after Paul takes the water of life. Geez that act goes too quickly.

Really wished they could have extended the final scene in the hall with Paul, Gaius Mohiam & The Emperor interacting more to pay-off the revenge plot.

Paul's battle with Feyd was perfect. Gurney's battle with Raban was too brief. Still not satisfied with the Barons death either.

It's a pity DV will not do an extended cut for both P1 and P2 even on the small screen to satisfy the fans of the series.
Seems like DV was hellbent on keeping it under 3 hours for audiences. Which I can respect, but fully agree that an extended cut ala LOTR would be amazing.

I think the point of Raban and to be honest many of the deaths are intended to show the horror of violence and the lack of glory in death in battle. A bit like Saving Private Ryan, we dont glorify that stuff anymore.

I must say im surprised with the criticism of characterization, dialogue and development. Paul alone is a deeply complex and pretty flawed character. He acknowledges and at times HATES what the Bene Gesseret have done in radicalizing and canonising him before hes arrived but then uses that anyway, mostly for a revenge mission and maybe? Who can be sure? To give a better life to the Freman.

At this point im still not sure i know his motivations.

Then theres Lady Jessica, who herself seems to have alot of issues with the Bene Gesseret and what theyve done but has sort of inserted herself as Queen bitch of Arrakis. Now strong argument to be made her motivation is survival and her children but shes pretty ******* evil at times too.

I think Denis (and if you know his back catalogue then you know this is on brand) is always looking for the dark edges in humanity and individuals, this is more of that told in a pretty epic space war.

DV has really made a minimalist version of Dune (compared to the book), and he's changed the original story to suit the film he wanted to make. He condensed the timeline considerably compared to the book, where Paul and the Fremen attack the Harkonen occupation of Arrakis for several years, not months, as in the movie. There are other noticeable differences, too. He does capture the vibe of the book, which is important. So, aspects like when Paul drinks the Water of Life and how it ended were different from the book. I don't say that as a criticism, just an observation.

Last edited:
I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. What an absolute masterpiece. Got goosebumps several times from the amazing cinematography and battles. Even though it was a very long film, I feel like it could have been longer or even broken up into another movie. There was just a lot there, a lot to unpack.

It almost felt rushed, and could’ve been drawn out and explained further. But in saying that I know it was still a very long film, and I appreciate trying to move things along. I want to see it again, because my head is spinning a little still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back