Duncan cleared, Fox concussed

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox it turns out was concussed when hit by Laughing Larry Duncan.

Duncan who spent a lot of the game laughing at his woeful opponents will be positively convulsing with laughter now having being cleared and his target having been injured.

I expect other players will have noted actions and his time will come.

It's a tough one that I honestly had no idea how the MRP would deal with it. At the game I thought it was a pretty dirty hit, but after seeing the replay I have NFI.

On the one hand you have Fox, who goes in hard, head over ball but is going so fast, he goes past the ball.
On the other hand you have Duncan who elects to stay upright, rather than bend down to collect the contested ball.

When you slow the footage down you can see Duncan elect to turn side on, before Fox goes past the ball. Not sure if this shows intent to bump, or intent to protect himself.

The speed Fox was going at made contact pretty much inevitable so maybe he has some duty of self preservation there.

In conclusion... I still have NFI if it was the right call.

I am pretty sure Duncan is still laughing
Telling all the others at the old folk's home how he conned the MRO.

mitch-duncan-of-the-cats-attends-the-geelong-cats-official-end-of-afl-season-celebrations-at.jpg

It's a tough one that I honestly had no idea how the MRP would deal with it. At the game I thought it was a pretty dirty hit, but after seeing the replay I have NFI.

On the one hand you have Fox, who goes in hard, head over ball but is going so fast, he goes past the ball.
On the other hand you have Duncan who elects to stay upright, rather than bend down to collect the contested ball.

When you slow the footage down you can see Duncan elect to turn side on, before Fox goes past the ball. Not sure if this shows intent to bump, or intent to protect himself.

The speed Fox was going at made contact pretty much inevitable so maybe he has some duty of self preservation there.

I think if Duncan doesn't turn to the side and brace for impact that there would have been a very real possibility of Fox either wrecking Duncan's knee or snapping Duncan's leg.

I don't know whether Duncan "deserved" a week or two off or not, but the precedent was clearly set with Lynch.

If he can jump, hit a player in the head, cause more obvious immediate injury, and get off scot free......well then it makes sense for Duncan to get off as well.

Simple solution to the confusion around bumps:

Make it like an NBA blocking foul. If bumping player has feet set and braced, but opponent runs into him - its not penalised
In this case, bumping player moving, it's penalised

No grey area

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the stranger ones I’ve seen, in so much as Fox causes the collision. I was unsure how they’d rate this, Duncan braces, but I’m not sure what else he could do. He doesn’t leave the ground, run past the ball, and Fox slides making things even harder. I think in all honesty they probably got this one right. Now, if they consistently apply this decision for the rest of the year, happy days, but I have zero faith that they will.

How many weeks does Fox get for his reckless bump on Duncan, under the "potential to cause injury" rule?
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them knew where the other was, as Cameron was between the pair.

Longmire was whinging today, the incident was totally Fox's fault and there was nothing Duncan could do. There was no intent and he did well under the circumstances, there was never anything to answer for. For once the MRO got it ight.

Fox it turns out was concussed when hit by Laughing Larry Duncan.

Duncan who spent a lot of the game laughing at his woeful opponents will be positively convulsing with laughter now having being cleared and his target having been injured.

I expect other players will have noted actions and his time will come.
Fox it turns out hit his head as he landed. He was already falling when he collected Duncan.

If you honestly think Duncan should have been cited and suspended then you are just spiteful...actually reading your last comment confirms it

I love cats fans. Fiercely loyal.
The same ones that blamed guerra for a perforated eardrum, and jiath for being sling tackled when play was dead
Look our premiership skipper (most games captained ever too by the way) paid a price for that. Not his proudest moment but shares Lethal as good company for when brain fades occur. Not sure every cat fan was blindly calling for Rohan to be cleared either but you go with your version.

FWIW I thought the incident looked bad on the night in real time. But on reflection, Fox ran past the ball, slid and there wasn’t much Duncan could do other than brace to protect himself. You can still do that on a football field. Players have to have some levers that they can pull in order to protect themselves from collisions that other players have instigated.

What is laughable is Longmire citing the Buddy incident from R1 and asking for consistency. The incidents are light years apart.

Duncan may well have stayed back to tackle rather than collide at the ball, then when Fox went passed the ball he turned sideways to protect himself.

Zero chance it was a planned bump because there is no way he would have expected Fox to overahoot the ball, lose balance and end up low to the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back