Query Drawn first semi final

Remove this Banner Ad

Derby103

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2006
Macclesfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Under the Page-McIntyre finals system (1931-1971) we had a drawn grand final (1948), a drawn preliminary final (1962), and a drawn second semi final (1946), but never a drawn first semi.

In those days there was only one final played each weekend. A drawn first semi would be the only situation where the league had an option as to which match would be played in Weeks 2 and 3 of the finals:

Option 1 - First semi final replay in Week 2; Second semi final in Week 3
Option 2 - Second semi final in Week 2; First semi final replay in Week 3

Does anyone know what the league's policy was on this? I had always assumed that a final would be replayed the week after the draw (i.e. Option 1), however I notice that the VFA used Option 2 when it had a drawn first semi final in 1937.

As a side note, this meant that Brunswick (which finished on top of the ladder and won the second semi) had a 20 day break leading into the grand final, while Prahran was playing its fourth final in 29 days. The grand final was played at Toorak Park (Prahran's home ground), and was won by the Two Blues by 2 points.

Under the Page-McIntyre finals system (1931-1971) we had a drawn grand final (1948), a drawn preliminary final (1962), and a drawn second semi final (1946), but never a drawn first semi.

In those days there was only one final played each weekend. A drawn first semi would be the only situation where the league had an option as to which match would be played in Weeks 2 and 3 of the finals:

Option 1 - First semi final replay in Week 2; Second semi final in Week 3
Option 2 - Second semi final in Week 2; First semi final replay in Week 3

Does anyone know what the league's policy was on this? I had always assumed that a final would be replayed the week after the draw (i.e. Option 1), however I notice that the VFA used Option 2 when it had a drawn first semi final in 1937.

As a side note, this meant that Brunswick (which finished on top of the ladder and won the second semi) had a 20 day break leading into the grand final, while Prahran was playing its fourth final in 29 days. The grand final was played at Toorak Park (Prahran's home ground), and was won by the Two Blues by 2 points.
This is what it says in the Football Record 1946 Week 3 Finals (pages 4,6):
upload_2018-11-2_23-52-25.png
upload_2018-11-2_23-55-17.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back