Domestic violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Already covered above.

I'm guessing the Howard government's campaign asking people to look out for suspicious behaviour made people feel guilty for carrying a suitcase in an airport, driving them to bomb public infrastructure?

The messaging around this is wrong IMHO. As if by guilting good men into feeling bad that there is a minority of shithead blokes who harm their women.....its really a tried and debunked way of not addressing issues that results only in further alienation.
Josh Szeps puts it well when comparing to the way we told all Muslims after 9/11 that they should denounce and outcry the jihadist extremist segments of their religion.....it didn't work, and only resulted in further divides and more violence.

That said...the media want more divides so not surprised with the sorts of stupid people they roll out to make stupid comments.
Apparently men aren't allowed to have negative feelings towards being labelled violent. I wonder if we're supposed to shrug it off and suck it up like real men.

Which plural noun do you use?
Offenders, abusers, or go with 'violent men'.

If they really wanted 'buy in' from men, then something along the lines of 'Most men aren't violent towards women, help us get to where none are', would hit (pardon the pun) that it's not ALL MEN, but all men CAN help.

it's not ALL MEN, but all men CAN help.
Unfortunately then you get "but why are they telling me to help? They are saying I don't help already!"

It just goes on and on like an engraved personal invitation is needed.

Take the advert where the male child is pushing over a female child.

The inference is the male child needs behaviour altering in some way. We aren’t told how.

I just don’t see this kind of messaging as harmless. The child is already guilty of a future DV. Is the suggestion. Is this messaging backed up by facts and statistics?

All the while a child may be keeping quiet, and acting controlling behaviour in underhand ways, choosing soft targets who tend not to be be;ieved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already covered above.

I'm guessing the Howard government's campaign asking people to look out for suspicious behaviour made people feel guilty for carrying a suitcase in an airport, driving them to bomb public infrastructure?

We would also call out this advertising if it too appears poor.

Take the advert where the male child is pushing over a female child.

The inference is the male child needs behaviour altering in some way. We aren’t told how.

No parent knows how to discipline or correct their child? How to reason with them? Model good behaviour?

I just don’t see this kind of messaging as harmless. The child is already guilty of a future DV. Is the suggestion. Is this messaging backed up by facts and statistics?
Can you explain to me how this is the suggestion?
All the while a child may be keeping quiet, and acting controlling behaviour in underhand ways, choosing soft targets who tend not to be be;ieved
They may be.

No parent knows how to discipline or correct their child? How to reason with them? Model good behaviour?

Can you explain to me how this is the suggestion?

They may be.

Good points. If parents can ‘discipline’ their kids then no need for the advert.

It was just unneccesary and probably unfounded in terms of causation. Mor danger of parents bullying their kids unnnecssarily

So chief, did you think the advert was a good advert?

Good points. If parents can ‘discipline’ their kids then no need for the advert.
Huh??
It was just unneccesary and probably unfounded in terms of causation. Mor danger of parents bullying their kids unnnecssarily
I don't have that info off the top of my head.

I'd have to go and watch it again.

Are you referring to the “stop it at the start” campaign?

Pretty sure that ad series were created from a survey to young people.

It was also based on stats like;

• 1 in 4 young people don’t think it’s serious when guys insult or verbally harass girls in the street. (Our Watch: The Line Campaign 2015)
  • 1 in 4 young people don’t think it’s serious if a guy, who’s normally gentle, sometimes slaps his girlfriend when he’s drunk and they’re arguing.
  • 1 in 4 young men believe that girls like guys to be in charge of the relationship.
  • 1 in 5 young people believe there are times when women bear some responsibility for sexual assault. (VicHealth National Community Attitudes Survey 2013)

The research found that:
  • from an early age, young people begin to believe there are reasons and situations that can make disrespectful behaviour acceptable
  • girls blame themselves, questioning whether the trigger for the behaviour is potentially their fault, rather than questioning the behaviour of the male
  • boys blame others, particularly the female, and deflect personal responsibility telling each other it was a bit of a joke – it didn’t mean anything
  • adults accept the behaviour when they say ‘it takes two to tango’ or ‘boys will be boys’
  • the cost of doing something is considered to be too high – parents worry about embarrassing their child, or even themselves; teachers and coaches are unsure how far to go.

Are you referring to the “stop it at the start” campaign?

Pretty sure that ad series were created from a survey to young people.

It was also based on stats like;

• 1 in 4 young people don’t think it’s serious when guys insult or verbally harass girls in the street. (Our Watch: The Line Campaign 2015)
  • 1 in 4 young people don’t think it’s serious if a guy, who’s normally gentle, sometimes slaps his girlfriend when he’s drunk and they’re arguing.
  • 1 in 4 young men believe that girls like guys to be in charge of the relationship.
  • 1 in 5 young people believe there are times when women bear some responsibility for sexual assault. (VicHealth National Community Attitudes Survey 2013)

The research found that:
  • from an early age, young people begin to believe there are reasons and situations that can make disrespectful behaviour acceptable
  • girls blame themselves, questioning whether the trigger for the behaviour is potentially their fault, rather than questioning the behaviour of the male
  • boys blame others, particularly the female, and deflect personal responsibility telling each other it was a bit of a joke – it didn’t mean anything
  • adults accept the behaviour when they say ‘it takes two to tango’ or ‘boys will be boys’
  • the cost of doing something is considered to be too high – parents worry about embarrassing their child, or even themselves; teachers and coaches are unsure how far to go.

No doubt, but are they ‘beliefs’ rather than cases. Eg when thy find that murders like torturing animals as youngsters?

It all seems moot when you hear the latest serious assault, often to a stranger, we’re out on bail for a string of similar serious issues?

I don’t believe generally women are ‘to blame’ but I did meet one female when younger who deliberately tried to push buttons, and boasted about how a previous partner was rough with her. I decided to keep well away as it disturbed me and my belief system up till then. Looking back it may have been role play but I did not try to find out more.

That was the only incident in my life. It didn’t alter my belief system.

No doubt, but are they ‘beliefs’ rather than cases. Eg when thy find that murders like torturing animals as youngsters?

It all seems moot when you hear the latest serious assault, often to a stranger, we’re out on bail for a string of similar serious issues?

I don’t believe generally women are ‘to blame’ but I did meet one female when younger who deliberately tried to push buttons, and boasted about how a previous partner was rough with her. I decided to keep well away as it disturbed me and my belief system up till then. Looking back it may have been role play but I did not try to find out more.

That was the only incident in my life. It didn’t alter my belief system.

it seemed you were referring to the specific ad campaign that was about “stopping it at the start”. The research provided alarming responses.
They made ads about it, and people got all wrapped up in “ohhhh what are we saying to boys”.

If they’re ‘beliefs’ people think they’re ‘correct’, and explain away poor behaviour.

it seemed you were referring to the specific ad campaign that was about “stopping it at the start”. The research provided alarming responses.
They made ads about it, and people got all wrapped up in “ohhhh what are we saying to boys”.

If they’re ‘beliefs’ people think they’re ‘correct’, and explain away poor behaviour.

Have the campaigns been reviewed for effect? This is a crisis we are in right now.

Have the campaigns been reviewed for effect? This is a crisis we are in right now.
My preamble...1 woman killed by an intimate partner is 1 too many.... however

We aren't in a crisis at all...thats the spin the media and politicians are trying to weaponize this issue and create division. Domestic homicide rates have been trending down for decades.

Between good men and good women....
Why would they be divided?

I'm interested you didn't comment on any other parts of my post however...
OK:

My preamble...1 woman killed by an intimate partner is 1 too many.... however
Glad you're on board.

We aren't in a crisis at all...

Tell that to the people working in the crisis centres. What's your experience in this field?

thats the spin the media and politicians are trying to weaponize this issue and create division.
Covered.

Domestic homicide rates have been trending down for decades.
As have cancer rates. Let's just stop cancer research.

As have car accident rates. Let's just stop improving car safety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back