Random Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

So Buddy, our border collie cross spitz, has become an extremely fussy eater. Cannot get him to eat all of a sudden. He'll eat eggs and vegetables but he seems to be completely off meat. Wifey keeps saying he wants to be a vegetarian. Cue much eye rolling from me. Not sure if it's the weather or what. I spent an hour or so yesterday making up some meals out of chicken frames, chicken breast, lean beef mince and some frozen vegetables including carrot, cauliflower, beans, broccoli and capsicum but he's not interested.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

So Buddy, our border collie cross spitz, has become an extremely fussy eater. Cannot get him to eat all of a sudden. He'll eat eggs and vegetables but he seems to be completely off meat. Wifey keeps saying he wants to be a vegetarian. Cue much eye rolling from me. Not sure if it's the weather or what. I spent an hour or so yesterday making up some meals out of chicken frames, chicken breast, lean beef mince and some frozen vegetables including carrot, cauliflower, beans, broccoli and capsicum but he's not interested.

I'm at a bit of a loss.
That's weird. Dogs will normally eat anything if they're hungry enough, especially Border Collies.

Maybe give the Vet a call mate and just pose the question to be on the safe side. I know sometimes the heat can stress them out and cause them to do odd things.

That's weird. Dogs will normally eat anything if they're hungry enough, especially Border Collies.

Maybe give the Vet a call mate and just pose the question to be on the safe side. I know sometimes the heat can stress them out and cause them to do odd things.
Vets first reaction will always be 'you better bring him in for a check up'. It's not that he won't eat at all. He's just off the food he has eaten ever since we had him more or less. He's happy to eat veggies, yoghurt, eggs just not meat. I suppose it could be temperature related. Interesting thought. :think:

Vets first reaction will always be 'you better bring him in for a check up'. It's not that he won't eat at all. He's just off the food he has eaten ever since we had him more or less. He's happy to eat veggies, yoghurt, eggs just not meat. I suppose it could be temperature related. Interesting thought. :think:
On the hot days over here mine is similar, she'll eat the veggies/rice or yogurt. Her's is temp related, we tend to cook meat fresh for her when we cook ours but the veggies/rice/yogurt come from the fridge so its cooler.

Is that similar with you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm at a bit of a loss.

My two go off their food a bit in summer, and often won’t eat their breakfast.
Preferring other foods over meat sounds unusual though.

I'm at a bit of a loss.
Does he still chew on a bone? Even if he doesn’t eat it as such - if you get him a big marrow bone does he at least play with it a bit?

Don't know. I'd have to get him one. He wouldn't eat breakfast but would eat a boiled egg with gusto. He seems completely normal in every other way. Might just be going through a fussy stage.
could honestly be a weather thing. My Mum has massive dogs and they get picky when it’s hot. If he is eating some things and looks happy and healthy I wouldn’t be too worried.

The bone trick is one my Mum uses - though might not work on dogs that aren’t accustomed to eating a bone? Not sure. Anyways she gives them a bone every night as well as their bowl food. When they aren’t in the mood to eat much (summer generally) they usually still play with the bone. If they walk away from the lot with no interest, then she considers calling in a VET.

Like I say, might not have the same results for dogs that don’t get a regular bone.

my cats are a bit off their food at the moment, but they’re cats so * knows. All cats are bonkers

Agree that it could be related to the hot weather. In zoos they feed animals frozen blood and treats frozen into ice blocks when its hot. Or it could be behavioural. Our dog who is treated as a family member rather than a pet (much to my brother's disgust) prefers human food (ie what we are eating) to dog food.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back