Roast Does anyone not like the majority of their own teams fanbase?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah no denying initially but I think the difference is the poor guy didn’t have to call me out in this thread for it because it got too much. I’ve been checking up on him in PM for a long time just to see if he’s all good. Majority of my posts are banter and I think he gets it since I had about 12 likes from him yesterday.

You treat his opinions as if he just reiterates the same stuff on repeat but he’s no lost cause. Dude liked one of my posts calling Brad Scott a good coach. Maybe all the effort you collective go through to ‘own’ him even if unintentional comes off on that high horse I said Cats fans were on.

He complimented our coach yesterday which sure looked like a backhanded one but nobody is going to agree with me that Brad Scott is a good coach without admitting Chris is either.

I’m sure he does genuinely believe Chris is a good coach but providing a caveat that ‘he still should have won more’ when there really is no basis in which to do so based around maths, probability and actual events is no way to endear yourself to a supporter base that already thinks you post opinion as fact.

Imagine you were a coach of an NRL side during St George’s incredible run of 11 straight titles, and your team made the finals in 8 of those years.

Would someone look at them and go ‘well they really under achieved, they must have had an average coach because they really SHOULD have won more.’?

I doubt it. Most people would look at it and say ‘well f*** how unlucky was that!!! Being a good coach with a good side that just happened to co-exist with perhaps the best professional sports team in the history of regular season/finals professional sport!’

They would analyse the circumstances.

In fact in NRL it actually happens regularly: traditionalists among us often point to the 1990s North Sydney side as one of the unluckiest teams in history. Their consistent run of finals appearances began with a third place HA finish in 1991: co-incided with Canberra and Penrith contesting their second straight grand final as the two best teams of the time.

The next two years they missed the finals by a spot (top 5). 1994 they finished second in the home and away season, were good enough to beat two time defending premiers Brisbane in a final but had the misfortune of running into a Canberra side - not once, but twice, that many people consider on paper to be the best modern team ever assembled: every player in their starting side bar 1 played state of origin or Test football.

This pattern continued the rest of the decade.

People assessing that North Sydney side don’t deride it: they observe that they ran into some exceptional opposition and simply weren’t quite THAT good.

Geelong not winning a flag during a period where not one but two teams won 3 flags is not some inherent failure based on choking or being poorly coached. It’s simply a case of not being quite good enough

Let’s be honest about the club, too. They simply do not give a s**t, they are just happy to make the 8 every year and maybe make a profit. I cannot think of a fanbase that sooks as much as ours. You also couldn’t find a more perfect pair of tossers to be the main focus. Chris Scott and Patrick Dangerfield. They’re embarrassing.

Imagine Geelong were actually trying to win flags over the past 6 or so years, how many would of they won? Absolutely emabarrassing.

Imagine Geelong were actually trying to win flags over the past 6 or so years, how many would have they won? Absolutely emabarrassing.
You are aware that I bumped my own thread and saying it backfired right? Cheers captain obvious.

I’m sure he does genuinely believe Chris is a good coach but providing a caveat that ‘he still should have won more’ when there really is no basis in which to do so based around maths, probability and actual events is no way to endear yourself to a supporter base that already thinks you post opinion as fact.

Imagine you were a coach of an NRL side during St George’s incredible run of 11 straight titles, and your team made the finals in 8 of those years.

Would someone look at them and go ‘well they really under achieved, they must have had an average coach because they really SHOULD have won more.’?

I doubt it. Most people would look at it and say ‘well f*** how unlucky was that!!! Being a good coach with a good side that just happened to co-exist with perhaps the best professional sports team in the history of regular season/finals professional sport!’

They would analyse the circumstances.

In fact in NRL it actually happens regularly: traditionalists among us often point to the 1990s North Sydney side as one of the unluckiest teams in history. Their consistent run of finals appearances began with a third place HA finish in 1991: co-incided with Canberra and Penrith contesting their second straight grand final as the two best teams of the time.

The next two years they missed the finals by a spot (top 5). 1994 they finished second in the home and away season, were good enough to beat two time defending premiers Brisbane in a final but had the misfortune of running into a Canberra side - not once, but twice, that many people consider on paper to be the best modern team ever assembled: every player in their starting side bar 1 played state of origin or Test football.

This pattern continued the rest of the decade.

People assessing that North Sydney side don’t deride it: they observe that they ran into some exceptional opposition and simply weren’t quite THAT good.

Geelong not winning a flag during a period where not one but two teams won 3 flags is not some inherent failure based on choking or being poorly coached. It’s simply a case of not being quite good enough
Gotta give you credit PB even when in disagreement you always bring a solid argument to the table.

For me personally 2016 is one as we were the only team not to lose to the Doggies and that prelim thrashing from Sydney has just become part of our story and contributed to what made this years granny feel amazing.

Forget coaching, imagine if you were a fan of St George at that time. You’d think your life had just about peaked in sporting terms.

Of those that post their opinions online, there are a signicant proportion of the loudest sports fans that feel personally slighted if their team isn't winning everything every year, and clearly believe they know better than the coaches/managers/owers/etc...

Each team also seems to have a set of fans that believe the league is conspiring to keep them down and prop up their opponents.

When these individuals follow a team other than mine, I find them highly entertaining. When they follow the same team as me, I find them annoying and frustrating.

This isn't an AFL thing; it seems to me to be pretty consistent across team sports.

As a rough guide my SANFL team Sturt I like 99% of our fanbase or very high 90s for my AFL club probably 90% I like 85 to 90% as a guide a couple of Norwood and Central supporters of the Crows help bring down the % in my circle.

As a rough guide my SANFL team Sturt I like 99% of our fanbase or very high 90s for my AFL club probably 90% I like 85 to 90% as a guide a couple of Norwood and Central supporters of the Crows help bring down the % in my circle.
Great SANFL club choice mate!

I am a big fan of WAFL Club South Fremantle, but the behavior of some of the supporters after the 2020 Grand Final was deplorable. South Fremantle won a 2-point thriller over Claremont who were stiff to lose the game. So what was the problem? The problem according to these fans was that a Claremont player won the Simpson Medal for best afield rather than a Souths player, and Bulldogs supporters responded by booing and jeering the medal presentation loudly.

Talk about being bad winners, this was something more like you would see in soccer where two clubs representing different European countries or regions within the same country that have had problems getting along for centuries meet in an important game.

Footy support is obviously a deeply emotional thing, so my history having grown up a proud Tasmanian is the biggest reason that I'm sort of half way between the Eagles and a non-existent Tassie team at the moment.

The second biggest reason is Eagles fans. Toffs and white collar w***ers, most of them, and I never forgot how our fans treated Adam Goodes, our fans were one of the catalysts for the groundswell of abuse that forced his retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s be honest about the club, too. They simply do not give a s**t, they are just happy to make the 8 every year and maybe make a profit. I cannot think of a fanbase that sooks as much as ours. You also couldn’t find a more perfect pair of tossers to be the main focus. Chris Scott and Patrick Dangerfield. They’re embarrassing.

Strange to come to the main board, and in 100 words attack your club’s fans, the club itself, the coach and a marquee player.

I’m sure I would dislike the majority of our fans if they were like that. But as they’re not: no, I’m happy with them.

Obviously the internet can make it seem worse with some of the complete weirdos you can come across but I just find as a Geelong supporter the overwhelming majority are overbearing and not up to touch with reality. The only thing I actually agree with that they have to say is the obvious home game bullshit but why didn’t anyone bring that up when we were actually any good?

I feel like a few people here will probably agree with what I’ve personally said about my own club. I was just wondering if anyone else was as disillusioned with their fanbase as much as me? Is this normal?
The more pertinent question - and you'll probably have to glance in a mirror - Is why have you been permabanned 4 or 5 times.

Maybe you're the problem and you need to grow up. 🤦

Aside from the people who hate success, our fan base is typically very good. We are our own breed down here as some say. 🤣🤣🤣

Just watch out for Teach and Catman, we aren’t all like that I promise.

I don't really like the majority of Australian sports fans tbh.

Aussie rules and cricket specifically (I don't follow much outside of that).

The treatment of Steve Smith (and to slightly lesser extents, Warner and Bancroft) is a stain on the nation.

As for AFL, people complain about the coverage, but the networks are merely appealing to the lowest common denominator.

If there were demand for proper statistical and strategic analysis (in-game and in review) then somebody would provide it.

The demand isn't there. The Aus sports public is simply not interested. Because they are simpletons (generally speaking).

It is amusing that the one commentator who tries to up the analysis level is Daisy Pearce. Kudos to her for that.

As for North fans, I'll give them a pass. They (we) have been through a lot. But that 'kanga kanga' chant is embarrassing.

The North board on bigfooty is full of chip-on-their-shoulder nuffies but there are still some gems in there.

I'll never forget Roosistence back 2007. Good times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back