Do you think North Melbourne will fold, merge or relocate?

What happens to North Melbourne?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North Australia won’t happen. It’d have to be a minimum 7 games in Darwin which means at least 16+ road trips over 1000km/h.

I like your thinking about Canberra but I’d have a third team in Perth come in with them.
OK it won't happen But in the NRL you have North QLD. The club would take plane. There needs to be NT side North Australia I like that name.

OK it won't happen But in the NRL you have North QLD. The club would take plane. There needs to be NT side North Australia I like that name.
Plane trips will get much faster in a few decades time I reckon.

North Australia could happen then if we go to 22.

Canberra for 20 and maybe something like South West WA to go with Northern Australia.

AFL want a team up north.
Northern Territory Kangaroos?
8 home games in Alice or Darwin
4 home games in Melbourne

Alice too much of a lawless town

But yeah… 6 in Darwin, 4 in Nth QLD
And 4 home games in Melbourne to help prop up the financial viability of the team

Guarantee them Arden St as a Melbourne base, where fans can watch finals games on the big screen

NT govt will throw money at them to play in Darwin

North QLD towns like Cairns and Townsville might do the same

AFL just needs to make them an offer they can’t refuse…

Partially relocate North… or have their AFL license revoked and end up a standalone VFL team with a more uncertain future

Nobody wants to see anyone merge or relocate from a supporter perspective. The AFL is a business though and we’ve seen that with Fitzroy+ Brisbane and the near Melbourne + Hawthorn merger.

If the AFL relocated North I’d rather see them go to a footy state rather then QLD or NSW where a team would be seen as a franchise.

NT would love it. Imagine the inspiration to indigenous kids their own team could bring. Some awesome indigenous players out there but how many more could we not have seen? They might not win immediate flags but they’d be exciting for sure and it would be a huge boost to the NT economy.

Nobody wants to see anyone merge or relocate from a supporter perspective. The AFL is a business though and we’ve seen that with Fitzroy+ Brisbane and the near Melbourne + Hawthorn merger.

If the AFL relocated North I’d rather see them go to a footy state rather then QLD or NSW where a team would be seen as a franchise.

NT would love it. Imagine the inspiration to indigenous kids their own team could bring. Some awesome indigenous players out there but how many more could we not have seen? They might not win immediate flags but they’d be exciting for sure and it would be a huge boost to the NT economy.
Why would the NT embrace a Victorian team? Wouldn’t they prefer their own team, same as Tassie does?

Why would the NT embrace a Victorian team? Wouldn’t they prefer their own team, same as Tassie does?
Most certainly. A relocation provides an earlier opportunity at the big time though most likely. It would also be viewed more popularly with AFL supporters in general rather than cutting North and implementing a brand new footy club in it’s entirety.

Also a NT team given the climate would probably be limited in home games that could be played in Darwin. So it wouldn’t be a one city team but several others maybe including Alice Springs. Alice could really take off if the locals get behind a team and substantially improve the city.

I was in Alice about 20yrs ago and the history is really interesting but the social & demograpic situation was dismal back then. Not much has changed by the sounds of it. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to make Alice a place that people want to live and feel safe visiting.

Footy brings hope and motivation.
Footy brings tourists and encourages investment.
AFL club executives and players bring an injection of money.
Best of all footy is a community that supports one another.

Let’s get a team in the NT (hopefully not at the complete demise of North).

Back