Do you think North Melbourne will fold, merge or relocate?

What happens to North Melbourne?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Journalists keep banging these drums ad nauseum and these discussions keep popping up on several different threads around here, so I've decided to make a thread intended to discuss this very topic seeing as though there isn't already one that exists.

What do you think will happen to North Melbourne?

Will they;
Fold (like University)
Merge (like Fitzroy/Brisbane)
Relocate (like South Melbourne/Sydney)

or

None of the above and they stay put at Arden Street?

Please no trolls as I want this to be a serious discussion.
Thanks.

I'm thinking they will survive relocation when Tassie is set up..............so Tassie gets what they want (their own side)

Then within two years, North will be offered the choice of merging with Tassie, GC or go to Canberra

Surely there is more money in circulation these days to keep a club liquid unlike the South Melbourne and Fitzroy days where it was do or die ?
50,000 members is decent, not sure about their debt situation ?

The Roos have been around a long time , I can’t see them going anywhere IMO .
Just need a few more years to dig themselves out and to re-arrange the ship .

Last edited:
Are north Melbourne not allowed to be bad? Success over the last 25 years, 4 flags and no debt but because of 2 bad years we need to relocate? Almost 50,000 members so this is a ridiculous argument

It seems the AFL have an agenda and I think once north are dealt with, they will turn on the Saints

Surely there is more money in circulation these days to keep a club liquid unlike the South Melbourne and Fitzroy days where it was do or die ?

Debt free, with zero pokies revenue to help us get there.

with all the talk of relocation, I was surprised to see the financials in such good order

but then you look at the AFLs agenda of North to Sydney, North to Canberra, North to GC and now North to Tassie. then consider Norths' acceptance in engaging in the AFLs agenda by changing their name and playing in the jurisdictions of the agenda.

Clearly North and the AFL see something we don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are north Melbourne not allowed to be bad? Success over the last 25 years, 4 flags and no debt but because of 2 bad years we need to relocate? Almost 50,000 members so this is a ridiculous argument

It's a weird thing I've noticed. The other smaller clubs don't get such vitriol when they were awful, including ones that are (still) in huge debt while we are in black. For some reason we're apparently held to a higher standard?

Debt free, with zero pokies revenue to help us get there.

North people do not attend their games, signalling they don't give a rats. We always outnumber them at Docklands.

Their existence distorts the Comp.

Throughout my life, North have been a much more successful club than the Saints. I can remember champions for North like Barry Cable, Keith Greig, David Dench, and (the good and the bad of) Wayne Carey. I think Boomer was a great player (even though he was in many other respects punchable). Much more success since I've been carefully watching footy (which started when I was about 4-5, in 1970/71). Many more premierships than the Saints ever had. And a real commitment to be tough with no resources... fighting well above their weight, given the resources other clubs have, and compared to us, have done remarkably well. I don't want North or the Saints to end/merge/relocate... there is history, commitment to the club... you talk about "relocation" when you think of a team as a "brand" not a club. When you barrack for a team, that is your 'club' - that's what gets forgotten easily... you don't follow AFL. You follow one club.

Fold if Tasmania enter the comp keeping the league at an even 18 teams, not diluting the lack of talent further, and removing one too many Vic teams.

Last edited:
Fold if Tasmania enter the comp keeping the league at an even 18 teams, not diluting the lack of talent further, and removing one too many Vic teams.
I do not support any side being kicked out. If you are going to expand then expand to 20 sides not 19 sides. I would suggest 20 sides that gives 10 games max per weekend. Tasmania as the 19th side and North Australia as the 20th side is my suggestion. I would suggest North Melbourne could relocate to Canberra to be Canberra Kangaroos. That gives Canberra an AFL side.

I do not support any side being kicked out. If you are going to expand then expand to 20 sides not 19 sides. I would suggest 20 sides that gives 10 games max per weekend. Tasmania as the 19th side and North Australia as the 20th side is my suggestion. I would suggest North Melbourne could relocate to Canberra to be Canberra Kangaroos. That gives Canberra an AFL side.
North Australia won’t happen. It’d have to be a minimum 7 games in Darwin which means at least 16+ road trips over 1000km/h.

I like your thinking about Canberra but I’d have a third team in Perth come in with them.

Back