• Yes

Votes: 53 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 138 56.3%
  • It's ok

Votes: 54 22.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy is one of those sports that as soon as you get below the elite level, the game becomes extremely scrappy and slow. Considering AFLW is about comparable to top end Under 15s in talent, skill and athleticism, it's not a great watch. There's a reason 4k people show up for a blockbuster clash and it's not due to sexism.

Footy is one of those sports that as soon as you get below the elite level, the game becomes extremely scrappy and slow. Considering AFLW is about comparable to top end Under 15s in talent, skill and athleticism, it's not a great watch. There's a reason 4k people show up for a blockbuster clash and it's not due to sexism.
Top end U15s would massacre the all Australian womens team.

It’s comparable to U12s. But even still I feel there is more possession chains in the higher U12 divisions.

I disagree here. They'd get thumped by the top end u/15s

Quite a few saying junior boys teams would beat AFLW teams...

Well some of the under 16 girls teams that I have watched would beat some of the AFLW teams too. The girls coming through now have played Aussie Rules since Auskick, and have often come up through the juniors playing with and against boys. By the time they reach under 16s they are as good as and as tough as boys of a similar age.

I have seen goals kicked on the run from 50m, and a mark that would make Aaron Naughton proud this season. The only way is up for women's footy.

Top end U15s would massacre the all Australian womens team.

It’s comparable to U12s. But even still I feel there is more possession chains in the higher U12 divisions.
Quite a few saying junior boys teams would beat AFLW teams...

Well some of the under 16 girls teams that I have watched would beat some of the AFLW teams too. The girls coming through now have played Aussie Rules since Auskick, and have often come up through the juniors playing with and against boys. By the time they reach under 16s they are as good as and as tough as boys of a similar age.

I have seen goals kicked on the run from 50m, and a mark that would make Aaron Naughton proud this season. The only way is up for women's footy.
And that should continue to improve now young girls don’t have to give up the sport after a certain age, currently the AFLW is chock full of ex netballers etc.

Becky Webster from the Geelong team grew up in my neck of the woods, very, very good athlete.

Collingwood and Carlton drawing a crowd of 4,000 for the first game of the year, just a week after the two teams got 90,000 to the mens version- despite tickets to the womens version being either free, or at most $10, while tickets to the mens version cost far far more on average- probably says about all you need to know about how much demand there is for the product and how much peeps want to watch it.

What enrages me more than anything is getting "push" notifications from the afl app about women's football but i guarantee you if you had the aflw app you wouldn't hear anything abbot the men's.

Don't get me wrong i understand they haven't had the first 18 years of there life to get there skills crafted and there are some signs of some players being elite (mainly the crows midfield from last year) but they (the afl) market the wrong players as genuine superstars (looking at Tayla Harris) when there potatoes and then the ones who are probably better don't receive the exposure or bit of extra money they deserve.

I'll watch one game a weekend because I do find it exciting to see them improve but the pay they want is nothing to what they deserve right now as well.
If they start sending me alerts on my phone about AFLW stuff I will not be happy…

For pure entertainment it's very difficult to watch, maybe sometime in the future it might get better. There are plenty of women's sports around the world that are much better to watch.

For pure entertainment it's very difficult to watch, maybe sometime in the future it might get better. There are plenty of women's sports around the world that are much better to watch.
Womens rugby league is just as bad, women playing full contact ball sports just isn’t entertaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy it, but then again the Brisbane Lions are a pretty good AFLW team all things considered.

I am happy that women can play a recognised league of Aussie Rules that has decent funding
However, the league is in its formative years with too many general sporty women (or whatever pronouns people want to use) playing the sport rather than growing up with it etc.

It'll take a long time for the sport to really become polished across the board.
Erin Phillips is the best player of the early years. She's a great sportsperson but just as importantly, an excellent footballer relative to 99% of her peers

In a decade, she'll be recognised as the best performer of the league's early years, but in time her standard will become more the norm.

I just refuse to see AFLW as the equal of men's in any way; the same way I prefer men's tennis as it is simply a better quality spectacle - purely from a sporting point of view

13 out of the 18 teams have already played a game with 3 goals scored or less this season. The 'the new teams are dragging down the scoring' argument is a cop out. 13 different teams in just 3 rounds. It has a long way to go, but the amount of investment and hype it currently gets through broadcasting, commentary, coaching staff, fitness staff, ground staff, media, statistics, promotions, televised events, marketing, etc. for a product that is akin to Under 14's seems largely unjustified to me, and I believe is causing resentment. Maybe I'm harsh, but they are getting it so good for producing such a mediocre product.

I'm more frustrated with the quality of the umpiring than the skills of the players in AFLW. There are too many obvious free kicks missed and they are too quick in calling a 50 metre penalty.

I watch it because there is noting else on during the days and it doesn't overlap with anything for me personally however I went and watched Div 3 WRFL football on the weekend and even that was a better standard of football. As previous people have said they have killed their small talent pool with 18 teams and the standard is just awful with most players unable to mark or kick over 25m. The commentary teams I also agree are an issue however I feel they're a product of the environment trying to "empower" women who are just simply not good enough. Realistically we are 10-15 years away from it being a decent spectacle when we have just the current junior crops coming through that have been trained and practiced since a young age but until then we are in for a long and painful ride.

I watch it because there is noting else on during the days and it doesn't overlap with anything for me personally however I went and watched Div 3 WRFL football on the weekend and even that was a better standard of football. As previous people have said they have killed their small talent pool with 18 teams and the standard is just awful with most players unable to mark or kick over 25m. The commentary teams I also agree are an issue however I feel they're a product of the environment trying to "empower" women who are just simply not good enough. Realistically we are 10-15 years away from it being a decent spectacle when we have just the current junior crops coming through that have been trained and practiced since a young age but until then we are in for a long and painful ride.
It’s Kelli Underwood blowing her load over literally everything.

Just has no feel for the game god dammit Kelli stfu grrr

Gave it a shot on the weekend and watched with my little cousin who's setting herself up nicely to be drafted in a couple years.

It was pretty painful to watch as should be expected due to the infancy of it. Girls grass roots footy is slowly improving, I reckon 5-10 years it'll be a much better viewing experience once we get girls who have been real athletes their whole life.

One other thing that pissed me off and I hope no one goes all stupid and calls me sexist: the AFLW at this stage seem way too lenient on the professional 'athletic' part of the sport. I saw far too many women out with far too high a bodyweight to be representing the elite level. In all honesty it really should be like an 8-team competition at this early point.

The talent pool is far too diluted and spread across too many teams. The bottom 10-12 of each team have no reason being in the pinnacle organization. As I said, that's to be expected - a lot of these girls didn't have the avenues to play much junior footy.

One thing I will say, once my cousin and her generation are playing the quality will raise - she's a gun and her friends are absolute guns. They will elevate the quality. She gets a good 15 touches a game as a winger and can kick 40m+ off 2-3 steps. More importantly like a true footy player, she raises the eyes as she delivers into 50.

It isnt even close to top end under 15 boys. A decent College under 15s team would beat most AFLW sides by 20 goals. Developed 15 year olds can be 6 foot tall. Skill levels, speed, stamina and strength are all above that of even the best females. Erin Phillips, easily the best player of all time struggles to kick over 30 metres. Its just not a game designed for women's bodies. Lets not even go down the ACL rabbit hole. AFLW has been designed to funnel as much government money the AFL can garner under the guise if "equality" whilst reeking havoc on more traditional and deserving female sports that have been guttsing it out for 100 years. AFLW is diabolical in every sense.

It isnt even close to top end under 15 boys. A decent College under 15s team would beat most AFLW sides by 20 goals. Developed 15 year olds can be 6 foot tall. Skill levels, speed, stamina and strength are all above that of even the best females. Erin Phillips, easily the best player of all time struggles to kick over 30 metres. Its just not a game designed for women's bodies. Lets not even go down the ACL rabbit hole. AFLW has been designed to funnel as much government money the AFL can garner under the guise if "equality" whilst reeking havoc on more traditional and deserving female sports that have been guttsing it out for 100 years. AFLW is diabolical in every sense.
To be honest, I was going to put a younger age but thought I’d be a bit soft so I didn’t get my head bitten off

13 out of the 18 teams have already played a game with 3 goals scored or less this season. The 'the new teams are dragging down the scoring' argument is a cop out. 13 different teams in just 3 rounds. It has a long way to go, but the amount of investment and hype it currently gets through broadcasting, commentary, coaching staff, fitness staff, ground staff, media, statistics, promotions, televised events, marketing, etc. for a product that is akin to Under 14's seems largely unjustified to me, and I believe is causing resentment. Maybe I'm harsh, but they are getting it so good for producing such a mediocre product.
This is so bloody insulting!!

The Under 14s would belt them

Let's just say, there is a very good reason why we used to call this a man's game!

Back