Do people think they're better than Umpires?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bretski

Premiership Player
May 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Souless Franchise
When people complain about umpires and give them crap, do you think you are better than them. If so, shouldn't you go and try out to be an AFL umpire, they get paid pretty good.

Before i became an umpire i gave them shit every week, when you get out there and see how hard it is not only making decisions but getting abused, your attitude changes very quickly.

And when you hear people say how did the umpire miss that he was right there. Most of the time they are right so get off our backs.

P.S People get angry if a umpire gets it wrong, they make less mistakes than a player in a game, so why not blame a player when they make a mistake.

i have nothing against the umpires when they play in the backs, thats the rules and i feel bad for them about the hands in the back rules, but its calls that are OBVIOUSLY wrong that pisses me off, 2 examples off the top of my head, yesterday when dale thomas kicked the "almost goal of the year" the boundary ump from 5000 miles away called it out? and when goldsack and a saints player went for the mark, both had eyes for the ball only, they clashed, and the ump gave the free kick to the player that came second best, but nothing was wrong with 2 players with eyes only for the ball going for a mark, and also on friday a geelong player was tackled, the ball rolled out but the umpire BEHIND the player called a free kick against the geelong player, they are just pulling calls out of their asses because they are under pressure, if they are not 100% sure abut a decision they should just let it go, they are killing contested footy

and no im not better than the umpires, but if they are paid to umpire they shouldn't get the easiest calls wrong

i have nothing against the umpires when they play in the backs, thats the rules and i feel bad for them about the hands in the back rules, but its calls that are OBVIOUSLY wrong that pisses me off, 2 examples off the top of my head, yesterday when dale thomas kicked the "almost goal of the year" the boundary ump from 5000 miles away called it out? and when goldsack and a saints player went for the mark, both had eyes for the ball only, they clashed, and the ump gave the free kick to the player that came second best, but nothing was wrong with 2 players with eyes only for the ball going for a mark, and also on friday a geelong player was tackled, the ball rolled out but the umpire BEHIND the player called a free kick against the geelong player, they are just pulling calls out of their asses because they are under pressure, if they are not 100% sure abut a decision they should just let it go, they are killing contested footy

and no im not better than the umpires, but if they are paid to umpire they shouldn't get the easiest calls wrong

Players are paid a shit load more than umps, so whats the difference if a player misses a easy shot or misses a pass. Should we hop on there backs and blame them ?

Umpires make mistakes, are in a paid job and therefore should not be immune to criticism. Simple as that.

I'm even a umpire myself (umpire junior footy) and theres always going to be inevitable situations where you miss free kicks and/or make wrong decisions and players/officials/supporters of one of the sides are going to get passionate. Fact of life.

Having said that, theres a difference in criticising umpiring decisions that are wrong and ridiculing umpires over a few umpiring decisions. I detest people who consistently ridicule and hang poop on umpires. At the AFL level Malthouse is a classic example.

Theres a few officials from some junior footy clubs who sure need a punch in the head over the way they carry on over bad umpiring decisions. Some of the behaviour from a few officials even as low as 9's is deplorable.

As for the old 'umpires need to harden up' excuse for hanging sh*t on umpires, I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that this is an excuse commonly used by idiots who would would knock back an opportunity to umpire the game themselves in fear of being shown up as morons when they are asked to put their cards on the table.

i have nothing against the umpires when they play in the backs, thats the rules and i feel bad for them about the hands in the back rules, but its calls that are OBVIOUSLY wrong that pisses me off, 2 examples off the top of my head, yesterday when dale thomas kicked the "almost goal of the year" the boundary ump from 5000 miles away called it out? and when goldsack and a saints player went for the mark, both had eyes for the ball only, they clashed, and the ump gave the free kick to the player that came second best, but nothing was wrong with 2 players with eyes only for the ball going for a mark, and also on friday a geelong player was tackled, the ball rolled out but the umpire BEHIND the player called a free kick against the geelong player, they are just pulling calls out of their asses because they are under pressure, if they are not 100% sure abut a decision they should just let it go, they are killing
contested footy

This shows how much you know about umpiring. If the boundary is caught hopelessly behind play (it happens), and the ball/play is inside 50m (or more specifically within 30m of the goal posts), the goal umpire will stand at the behind post, observe the play and if the ball goes out, he will signal to the boundary that the ball has gone out. The boundary will then signal accordingly. You'd probably find that's what happened, eventually, in the Dale Thomas scenario.

This shows how much you know about umpiring. If the boundary is caught hopelessly behind play (it happens), and the ball/play is inside 50m (or more specifically within 30m of the goal posts), the goal umpire will stand at the behind post, observe the play and if the ball goes out, he will signal to the boundary that the ball has gone out. The boundary will then signal accordingly. You'd probably find that's what happened, eventually, in the Dale Thomas scenario.

You'll find that this didn't happen on this occasion because the goal umpire had to cross his flags to cancel the score after all clear had been given by the central umpire and the goal umpire had signalled a goal.

You'll find that this didn't happen on this occasion because the goal umpire had to cross his flags to cancel the score after all clear had been given by the central umpire and the goal umpire had signalled a goal.
Yep, as he said, the boundary umpire was so far behind he didnt catch up to the field umpire untill the goal flags had been waved and everyone was heading back to the centre, the goal umpire didnt think it was out otherwise he would have refused to signal a goal

After taking up umpiring I give them even more crap than before, its not that bloody hard and the money is over the top

It's a split second decision. It's much easier to make judgment and criticize when you have the luxury of replays from every possible angle and half the speed.

well if they are not sure about a decision why pull a call out of their asses?

and the "player gets paid more", thats stupid, it has nothing to do with the umpiring, so what if a player misses a shot? thats his own fault, but when he doesn't do anything wrong and the umpire said he did, you can only blame th e umpires

Umpires make mistakes, are in a paid job and therefore should not be immune to criticism. Simple as that.

I'm even a umpire myself (umpire junior footy) and theres always going to be inevitable situations where you miss free kicks and/or make wrong decisions and players/officials/supporters of one of the sides are going to get passionate. Fact of life.

Having said that, theres a difference in criticising umpiring decisions that are wrong and ridiculing umpires over a few umpiring decisions. I detest people who consistently ridicule and hang poop on umpires. At the AFL level Malthouse is a classic example.

Theres a few officials from some junior footy clubs who sure need a punch in the head over the way they carry on over bad umpiring decisions. Some of the behaviour from a few officials even as low as 9's is deplorable.

As for the old 'umpires need to harden up' excuse for hanging sh*t on umpires, I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that this is an excuse commonly used by idiots who would would knock back an opportunity to umpire the game themselves in fear of being shown up as morons when they are asked to put their cards on the table.
mmm yeah i agree very much so.

This is my first year of field umpiring, so I am finding it a little tough fitness wise (no pre-season or exercise what so ever for 7 months before umpiring two senior matches on the boundary), but its great fun and exciting.

I find it best when you talk to the coaches and players after the game, and even weeks later they come up and say "so when do we have you next". I love that, at least you are appreciated.

Some of the people don't realise that umpiring from the fence is a lot easier than umpiring from the ground. It can be very difficult to get into position (U18's+) if your sprinting thru half a foot of mud and the ball is zipping backwards and forwards...

Yep, as he said, the boundary umpire was so far behind he didnt catch up to the field umpire untill the goal flags had been waved and everyone was heading back to the centre, the goal umpire didnt think it was out otherwise he would have refused to signal a goal

After taking up umpiring I give them even more crap than before, its not that bloody hard and the money is over the top
AFL umpire differently to state and local leagues. Simple fact. The VFL umpires quite a lot differently to the afl, but it doesn't stop hacks like ray chamberlain getting a game, when all he wants to do is toot on his whistle at the slightest contact :rolleyes:

I hate guys like him, even as an umpire...

Some of the people don't realise that umpiring from the fence is a lot easier than umpiring from the ground. It can be very difficult to get into position (U18's+) if your sprinting thru half a foot of mud and the ball is zipping backwards and forwards...

Agree. People don't realise how fit you need to be and how important it is to be able to sprint etc to umpire a game and get everything right - especially in any age group above 12's. I've been hearing complaints about how umpires are selected according to their ability to run, but theres no point in appointing a fat and unfit umpire to the higher levels as they won't be able to umpire effectively because of their lack of speed and fitness.

I will add that when you umpire I reckon you are always going to make one mistake where you miss a free kick that looks blatant as anything in most games, even ones that stare you in the face and get players upset.

As a golden rule, I never tell anybody how I am going to umpire a game (heck, I don't even give out the speeches before any game) because you are prone to making mistakes and if you tell people how you will umpire and make a mistake you can easily get a coach or a team manager having a go at you in your face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats incorrect. If a goal umpire thinks the ball is out of bounds, and the boundary doesn't, the boundary ump's call will overrule and vice versa.

If the goal umpire thinks the ball has gone out and the BU is behind, he'll signal for around 2 seconds, and if the Boundary chooses not to call it, play will continue, and if a score results, the goal umpire must award it. If the field umpire decides to consult the GU about the OOB call, he may do so and it can go from there. The GU has no authority on OOB calls apart from when the ball strikes the behind post, then they have complete authority.

Agree. People don't realise how fit you need to be and how important it is to be able to sprint etc to umpire a game and get everything right - especially in any age group above 12's. I've been hearing complaints about how umpires are selected according to their ability to run, but theres no point in appointing a fat and unfit umpire to the higher levels as they won't be able to umpire effectively because of their lack of speed and fitness.

I will add that when you umpire I reckon you are always going to make one mistake where you miss a free kick that looks blatant as anything in most games, even ones that stare you in the face and get players upset.

As a golden rule, I never tell anybody how I am going to umpire a game (heck, I don't even give out the speeches before any game) because you are prone to making mistakes and if you tell people how you will umpire and make a mistake you can easily get a coach or a team manager having a go at you in your face.
yeah, its fair tough, my legs kill me each sunday night, running with shin splints, what feels like a slight tear of the calf, both my glutes were strained over the weekend through poor preparation, and now blisters from new footy boots :mad:

how many football players you hear bitching of that? A field/boundary umpire should literally be able to run rings around players on the pitch, have to run harder and longer.

AFL level is all about sprinting, if you haven't got the fitness or speed to keep up, then you won't make it.

:rolleyes:

I abuse Mark Webber all the time too because I have my licence...driving a car, that's easy stuff!

I respect the fact you umpire football, whatever level it is...but don't confuse that with the life of an AFL umpire being any easier. I watched a mate play D4 ammos last weke, the umpires jogged along around 50 metres behind the play for most of it, threw the ball up all day rather than bounce and one of them didn't even have his shirt tucked in. Likewise, I respect him for even being out there, but if he somehow correlates the degree of difficulty for an AFL umpire based on the way he does the job, he is sadly mistaken.

Thats incorrect. If a goal umpire thinks the ball is out of bounds, and the boundary doesn't, the boundary ump's call will overrule and vice versa.

If the goal umpire thinks the ball has gone out and the BU is behind, he'll signal for around 2 seconds, and if the Boundary chooses not to call it, play will continue, and if a score results, the goal umpire must award it.

First part correct. I've had that happen.

The second one is a bit of a nonsense. I'm not sure how that could possibly happen. If both umpires think the ball has crossed the line (whether OOB or behind), how can play continue? In that case, the decision would have to be a boundary throw-in, even if the boundary umpire thought is was a behind. In the case of the ball going over the behind post, the boundary ump is usually is better position to see if he's at the post, otherwise, the boundary ump is in no position to judge. Common sense. If both the goal and boundary umpires don't know, then it is a bounce on the kick-off line.

An official goal umpire has the final decision on scores. If the GU thinks it's OOB, then he can't turn around and award a behind, even if the field or boundary ump disagree. If the field disagrees with an official goal umpire, all he can do is suggest or try and persuade the goal umpire, if he thinks the goal ump has got it wrong.

The second one is a bit of a nonsense.

Thats how it is.

In the case of the ball going over the behind post, the boundary ump is usually is better position to see if he's at the post, otherwise, the boundary ump is in no position to judge. Common sense. If both the goal and boundary umpires don't know, then it is a bounce on the kick-off line.

If a decision can't be made on a score, the lesser score shall previal.

An official goal umpire has the final decision on scores. If the GU thinks it's OOB, then he can't turn around and award a behind

Yes, he must. He has no authority regarding OOB apart from when the ball strikes or travels over the behind post.

If the field disagrees with an official goal umpire, all he can do is suggest or try and persuade the goal umpire, if he thinks the goal ump has got it wrong.

Only regarding a score, not an OOB unless the ball strikes or travels over the behind post

An easy way to explain it would be when the GU thinks the ball is out of play in the field, he is assisting the BU, however when it involves the behind post, he is directing the BU

If a decision can't be made on a score, the lesser score shall previal.

That's only if the goal umpire "knows" the ball has gone over the score line (ie. not OOB), but doesn't know whether it's a goal or behind, and the field and boundary ump are unable to assist. If the goal umpire "doesn't know" whether the ball went over the score line (ie. can't decide whether it's a behind or OOB), and the field and boundary umpire doesn't know either, then it is a bounce on the kick-off line, as per law 11.3.1.

Yes, he must. He has no authority regarding OOB apart from when the ball strikes or travels over the behind post.

A field umpire can't force a goal umpire to award a score if the goal ump thought it was OOB. If the field or boundary ump can't persuade the goal ump that is was a behind, the field ump has no choice but to tell the boundary umpire to throw the ball in. The "lesser score" (ie. OOB) would have to prevail in that case.

The situation you're talking about is a bit of a bluemooner. I've never ever seen that happen and can't ever imagine it happening. Usually the decision ends up going with the umpire that's in the best position, after consultation. It's very rare for two umpires to disagree on something they both have a clear view of.

It's only a score if the goal umpire agrees it's a score. If the goal umpire doesn't agree, then it's either OOB or a bounce on the kick-off line, in the instances I've already described.

Of course, in the case of club goalies, the field umpire can overrule.

The Goal Umpires are instructed as follows:

If the ball goes out of play within a reasonable distance with the Boundary Umpire caught behind, assist with the appropriate signal. If the BU doesn't see or fails to acknowledge the signal, return to correct position for the play.* If play continues and a score occurs then the score must be awarded*

* = Field Umpire may at their discretion choose to consult with the goal umpire regarding the OOB signal. However, it is not the GU's repsonsibility to chase the FU/BU, and are instructed not to. Once the all clear is given, award the score.

If the ball goes out of play within a reasonable distance with the Boundary Umpire caught behind, assist with the appropriate signal. If the BU doesn't see or fails to acknowledge the signal, return to correct position for the play.* If play continues and a score occurs then the score must be awarded*

* = Field Umpire may at their discretion choose to consult with the goal umpire regarding the OOB signal. However, it is not the GU's repsonsibility to chase the FU/BU, and are instructed not to. Once the all clear is given, award the score.

Yeah, all this is correct, but you originally said that the boundary umpire thought it was a behind and the goal ump OOB, therefore, play can't continue. What you're describing above is when the boundary umpire ignores the goal ump's assist makes his own decision that the ball is still in play. In that case, even if the goal ump thought the ball went OOB BEFORE a subsequent score, he must award the score on the all clear. This is a different situation to what you were describing before.

Yeah, all this is correct, but you originally said that the boundary umpire thought it was a behind and the goal ump OOB, therefore, play can't continue. What you're describing above is when the boundary umpire ignores the goal ump's assist makes his own decision that the ball is still in play.

My bad, thats what I thought we were talking about :p

Wrong

If the goal umpire felt it was Out of bounds he can stand there and refuse to signal and ask for a chat with the field umpire, say it was out of bounds before he kicked it at which stage the field umpire would check with the boundary, he would say he was too far behind and he would tell them to throw it in

But in this situation the goal umpire didnt think it was out, only the boundary 100m away

Wrong

If the goal umpire felt it was Out of bounds he can stand there and refuse to signal and ask for a chat with the field umpire, say it was out of bounds before he kicked it at which stage the field umpire would check with the boundary, he would say he was too far behind and he would tell them to throw it in

Then he'll be docked points on his match observation for incorrect procedure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back