Analysis Did we make a HUGE mistake?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
After watching Nik Cox absolutely dominate last night it got me thinking about what might have been a sliding doors moment. Nik Cox was taken in the draft at pick 8, the pick Essendon offered us for Josh Dunkley. We had the option of doing that trade, passing on Jamarra and taking Cox. This is an 18-year-old kid who has taken the competition by storm. 202cm with the speed, agility and skill to play as a wingman. He could quite literally revolutionise the game.

By contrast, our "number one pick" is battling away in the twos, struggling to get a kick because he isn't fit enough to play out a quarter of footy without his body cramping up. He currently can't get a game in a side that is desperate for natural forwards. All this while many of his peers are already impacting the competition in a big way. And instead of training his butt off to try and get his fitness up he would rather sit around fornicating and watching reality tv, going to music festivals and posting on Instagram.

I really hope we haven't made a huge mistake and blown the chance at taking a generational talent.

Look, we can't win 'em all unfortunately.

Essendon are spewing they took McGrath instead of Bailey Williams. They've got one over us on this occasion with Cox falling into their fortunate hands with pick eight.

FWIW, I think JUH will be fine. He'll easily establish himself as the second best player from the 2020 Draft.

Sam Power's position has become untenable. Meanwhile Adrian Dodoro has nailed it again.

To make matters worse, my spies over at Bomberblitz tell me JUH will be at Tullamarine by the end of next season. He'll slot nicely into their VFL program.

The ship sailed YEARS ago when we didn't pick up Parish and Francis. Should've tanked those years to get those two champions.

Now we are stuck in limbo like Essendon were, but now they are going to be flag contenders for a very long time.

After watching Nik Cox absolutely dominate last night it got me thinking about what might have been a sliding doors moment. Nik Cox was taken in the draft at pick 8, the pick Essendon offered us for Josh Dunkley. We had the option of doing that trade, passing on Jamarra and taking Cox. This is an 18-year-old kid who has taken the competition by storm. 202cm with the speed, agility and skill to play as a wingman. He could quite literally revolutionise the game.

By contrast, our "number one pick" is battling away in the twos, struggling to get a kick because he isn't fit enough to play out a quarter of footy without his body cramping up. He currently can't get a game in a side that is desperate for natural forwards. All this while many of his peers are already impacting the competition in a big way. And instead of training his butt off to try and get his fitness up he would rather sit around fornicating and watching reality tv, going to music festivals and posting on Instagram.

I really hope we haven't made a huge mistake and blown the chance at taking a generational talent.

Surely this a tongue in cheek thread. I still back JUH in to be the best player in draft. We did not go after Mason or draft Nik, we will have chosen a coxless 4 :) setup Astro, JUH, Bruce with pinch hitting from Tim.

Rather than should we have traded Dunkley? The question will be should we have taken Cox at 1 and passed on jamarra. Time will tell on that one, but I have some concerns. Dunkley has been excellent so far, and we’ve won all three games, but the bigger question why do have so many mids, but don’t draft tall, strong, contested marking defenders. We’re not winning the flag with that backline. Gardner now Lewis young and the next option is Cordy. That’s the bigger worry

Rather than should we have traded Dunkley? The question will be should we have taken Cox at 1 and passed on jamarra. Time will tell on that one, but I have some concerns. Dunkley has been excellent so far, and we’ve won all three games, but the bigger question why do have so many mids, but don’t draft tall, strong, contested marking defenders. We’re not winning the flag with that backline. Gardner now Lewis young and the next option is Cordy. That’s the bigger worry

Good point. Dogs should have passed on Marra at pick 1 and waited until pick 28 (Dogs first pick in 2020 draft) to pick up Cox. Dogs are in crisis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Power's position has become untenable. Meanwhile Adrian Dodoro has nailed it again.

To make matters worse, my spies over at Bomberblitz tell me JUH will be at Tullamarine by the end of next season. He'll slot nicely into their VFL program.

Hmmm...given Cox was a Dogs supporter and JUH a Dons man, looks like a "natural" swap coming up...

Wait, he's 202cm tall? They should have mentioned that during the commentary last night :rolleyes:
I wish they'd mention interesting facts more.
Apparently Pendlebury played basketball. Why is this never talked about?

We can still turn it around if Mia Fevola dumps JUH and starts doing sex with Nik Cox. You can’t mix football with Instagram, they’re like oil and water.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back