Teams Detroit Lions - Honolulu Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Goff is now 0-9 without Sean McVay

Posted by Mike Florio on September 22, 2021, 9:44 AM EDT

Quarterback Jared Goff won plenty of games with Sean McVay as Goff’s head coach. Without McVay, the first overall pick in the 2016 draft is still waiting for his first career victory.

As a reader pointed out this morning, Goff’s two losses to start the season in Detroit run his career won-loss record to 0-9 in games without McVay. In his rookie year, Goff first started in Week 10 and lost seven straight games, both with Jeff Fisher and his interim replacement, John Fassel, running the show.

Statistically, Goff has been solid in two games with Detroit, completing 64 of 93 passes for 584 yards, five touchdown passes, and two interceptions. He fumbled twice on Monday night, losing one.

Goff recently expressed optimism about future victories. This weekend, a win is very unlikely. The Ravens are coming to town, and Goff is staring at 0-10 without McVay

Might get the start or extended snaps finally this week....

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions "have fielded calls and are exploring a trade involving" LB Jamie Collins.
The Lions signed Collins to a three-year, $30 million contract in 2020 but a restructuring of his deal this offseason pointed to a split between the two parties sooner rather than later. Collins was brought in under former head coach Matt Patricia, partially based on their time together in New England. With Patricia long gone and the winless Lions already looking toward the 2022 season, a deal to move the veteran linebacker makes sense. Collins started 14 games in Detroit last year and defended six passes, intercepting one and adding a sack along the way. Contending teams looking for a seasoned veteran should be calling the Lions throughout the week.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Sep 22, 2021, 5:23 PM ET

Lions placed CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (quad) on IR.
Melifonwu made his first career start against the Packers, injuring his quad in the game. Dan Campbell described Melifonwu's injury as "a bad one" and the cornerback is expected to miss significant time. The Lions signed CB Daryl Worley from their practice squad in a corresponding move. Worley played in 10 games for three different teams in 2020, and will serve as emergency depth for the Lions secondary.
SOURCE: Dave Birkett on Twitter
Sep 22, 2021, 9:15 AM ET

grrrr there was another act of cheating by the refs on that same game-winning drive....

Dan Campbell Plans to Call League Office Tuesday

The Detroit Lions have yet to hear from the league about the delay of game issue at the end of the Baltimore Ravens contest.

JOHN MAAKARON

Detroit Lions head coach Dan Campbell plans to call the NFL league office at some point on Tuesday to address concerns he had following the Lions' 19-17 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

As of Monday, the league had not reached out to address if the Ravens should have been accessed a delay of game penalty.

It appeared via the television broadcast the Ravens did not get a play off in time, just prior to kicker Justin Tucker attempting a 66-yard field goal.

Had the penalty been assessed, it was likely Tucker would not have been on the field, since the attempt would have been from over 70 yards out.

Speaking during a recent radio interview, Campbell explained, "I'm probably going to make a call today just to ask about a couple of things, but it's hard to do that, because I don't know what I'm going to get out of it. You're peeling that band-aid off and rehashing wounds. I probably will make a call, because there's another call in there that I want to ask about."

When asked to elaborate on which call he had a question about, Campbell said it involved the Ravens being given more time added on the clock on their final drive.

"Just in the game, them pumping the clock for the offense. When, you know, when Lamar (Jackson) ran out of bounds and they're running out of time and they pumped it for him. And I didn't know why," Campbell said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan Campbell to me just seems like Ricky Stuart in the NRL. Lots of ranting and raving, but not sure there is much brains and substance there. Ex players are good to a certain extent, but this coaching staff needs to be balanced out with more intellectual types.

No doubt OBJs dad/agent told them not to bother....

Lions coach Dan Campbell said the team "won't be on the market" for Odell Beckham.
The Lions hold the No. 1 waivers claim meaning they get first crack at adding Beckham, and his current contract, to their roster. With Campbell removing his team from the picture, the Texans are next in line. Multiple reports have indicated that Beckham will clear waivers because of the $7.3 million remaining on his contract this year. Beckham also reportedly wants to play with a contender which also rules out Detroit.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Eric Woodyard on Twitter
Nov 8, 2021, 2:53 PM ET

The rats are jumping ship...

Lions released Darren Fells.
Fells asked for his release and the Lions granted it. The veteran saw five targets in seven games with Detroit this season while playing 28.4 percent of the team's snaps. A useful streaming option during his time with Houston, Fells could fall into some targets if he lands with a tight end needy team.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 8, 2021, 12:11 PM ET

A little late now, Mr Campbell....but better late than never....

Dan Campbell taking a larger role in offensive game planning

Posted by Myles Simmons on November 11, 2021, 9:32 AM EST

At 0-8 coming off their bye week, the Lions are staring down the prospect of another loss by facing the Steelers on Sunday.

But the club has made some adjustments. Head coach Dan Campbell told reporters on Wednesday that he’s taken a larger role in offensive game planning.

“I would say just it involves spending a lot more time with the offense than maybe the other two phases, that’s all,” Campbell said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “Investment. I just want to be able to meet with the quarterback more, talk with him. Just know that I feel like I have a handprint in it, I guess if you will. It’s just investing a lot more time.”

The Lions have all sorts of deficiencies, but their offense has clearly been a big problem. Since scoring 33 points in the Week One loss to San Francisco, Detroit hasn’t even reached 20 points in each of the last seven games. The Lions have also had at least one turnover in every game but the Week Three loss to the Ravens.

Detroit is currently 26th in yards gained and 29th in points scored. Campbell isn’t planning to take play-calling duties away from offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn. But Campbell does want to have a bigger impact.

“I just think that we’re trying to get all of our guys involved. That’s really the best way to put it,” Campbell said. “They all have a hand in this. They’re going to have a piece. We’re going to ask them to do some things they do well, both in the run and pass game. I think everybody needs some nuggets, and so we’ll see if we can drop some nuggets and see how these guys respond a little bit, give them a little air and a little confidence.”

At this point, Campbell’s input can’t hurt. We’ll see if it has a tangible positive effect as the Lions go on the road to play Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Dan Campbell takes over play-calling duties from Anthony Lynn

Posted by Charean Williams on November 14, 2021, 8:36 PM EST

After the Lions lost to the Eagles 44-6 before the bye, head coach Dan Campbell watched the tape of the offense three times. He then decided to commit more of his time to the offense.

On Sunday, for the first time this season, Campbell donned the headset and communicated the play calls to quarterback Jared Goff. Offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn had called the plays in the team’s first eight games.
Campbell tried to downplay the reduced role for Lynn.

“One of the things was: Why not change it up a little bit here?” Campbell said, via Justin Rogers of the Detroit News. “I wanted to be able to talk to (Goff) in game. Sometimes I think you’re able to get in the flow of the game when you’re the guy who’s calling it. It just helps to know exactly where to go.

“Honestly, I don’t think it’s a big deal. There were still things I was giving to A-Lynn when he was calling. It’s just now I took the green dot (headset with direct line to the quarterback) basically to Goff, so I could communicate to him. I’ll still grab some (play) calls from them. I’ll use my own calls. It was a joint effort by all those guys.”

Campbell admitted during an interview with Sports Illustrated last week that he had called only eight to 10 offensive plays this season. As an assistant coach, or even as interim head coach for the Dolphins in 2015, Campbell never called plays.

The Lions had 306 yards with a season-best 229 rushing yards.

“It was really good,” Goff said. “I thought he did a great job and had a good feel for wanting to come back to something that we had done previously and kind of wanted to mix it up. I think he’ll only learn and continue to get better from here.”

Lions claim second timeout was called to prevent a touchdown

Posted by Mike Florio on November 25, 2021, 8:31 PM EST

The Lions did a Lionish thing late in Thursday’s loss to the Bears, calling one timeout to conserve time and then another because they didn’t like the intersection of the offensive and defensive alignments before the next play. By rule (a quirky one), the officials are supposed to ignore the second timeout but, if they don’t, the team calling it gets penalized five yards.

The flag thrown on Detroit changed a third and nine for Chicago from the Detroit 16 to a third and four from the Detroit 11. Chicago converted with a seven-yard gain and then milked the clock down to one second before kicking the game-winning field goal.

After the game, Lions coach Dan Campbell bluntly explained the alternative to calling the time out: “Stand there and watch them score, I guess,” he said, via the team’s official website.

Campbell said there was a “miscommunication” regarding the call, with half the secondary believing it was one thing and the other half believing it was something else.

Linebacker Alex Anzalone defended the decision. “It was still, I think, third down after that,” Anzalone said. “Either way, the five-yard penalty wasn’t that huge of a deal. Rather than a touchdown, that really [would have] put the game out of arm’s reach.”

While Campbell and the Lions may have a perfectly reasonable explanation for doing something that looked so stupid, this doesn’t change the fact that Campbell and the Lions did something that looked so stupid. As someone accurately told me years ago, “I may have a perfectly good explanation for showing up to work without pants on, but it doesn’t change the fact that I showed up to work without pants on.”

For the Lions, there shouldn’t have been a miscommunication coming out of a timeout. Everyone should have known the approach. There should have been no need to consciously choose giving up five yards in order to avoid a potential disaster. The disaster shouldn’t need to have been avoided.

Moreover, it didn’t seem as if Campbell consciously chose to give up five yards. After the penalty flag was thrown, Campbell could be seen saying to an official, “What was the call? What was the call?” If Campbell was aware of the rule when the team called a second straight time out between plays, he would have known that the Lions had been called for delay of game.

Then there’s this — giving up the touchdown would have made the score, at worst, 21-14. And the Lions would have had more than 1:40 to force overtime or win in regulation with a two-point conversion. By burning two timeouts and giving up the first down on the next play, the Lions couldn’t avoid the Bears attempting a walk-off field goal for the win.

At one point on Thursday, one of the Fox announcers said that Campbell is learning on the job. That’s not the way it’s supposed to be, not with so many qualified individuals and so few head-coaching vacancies. No NFL head coach should be given the luxury of learning on the job; either you already know how to do it, or the team should hire someone else who does.

Including the dozen games he served as the interim head coach of the Dolphins in 2015, Campbell has now worked as a head coach for 23 games. If you’re still learning the job 23 games in and six years after your first dozen games as a head coach, maybe someone else should have gotten that job

Lions claim second timeout was called to prevent a touchdown

Posted by Mike Florio on November 25, 2021, 8:31 PM EST

The Lions did a Lionish thing late in Thursday’s loss to the Bears, calling one timeout to conserve time and then another because they didn’t like the intersection of the offensive and defensive alignments before the next play. By rule (a quirky one), the officials are supposed to ignore the second timeout but, if they don’t, the team calling it gets penalized five yards.

The flag thrown on Detroit changed a third and nine for Chicago from the Detroit 16 to a third and four from the Detroit 11. Chicago converted with a seven-yard gain and then milked the clock down to one second before kicking the game-winning field goal.

After the game, Lions coach Dan Campbell bluntly explained the alternative to calling the time out: “Stand there and watch them score, I guess,” he said, via the team’s official website.

Campbell said there was a “miscommunication” regarding the call, with half the secondary believing it was one thing and the other half believing it was something else.

Linebacker Alex Anzalone defended the decision. “It was still, I think, third down after that,” Anzalone said. “Either way, the five-yard penalty wasn’t that huge of a deal. Rather than a touchdown, that really [would have] put the game out of arm’s reach.”

While Campbell and the Lions may have a perfectly reasonable explanation for doing something that looked so stupid, this doesn’t change the fact that Campbell and the Lions did something that looked so stupid. As someone accurately told me years ago, “I may have a perfectly good explanation for showing up to work without pants on, but it doesn’t change the fact that I showed up to work without pants on.”

For the Lions, there shouldn’t have been a miscommunication coming out of a timeout. Everyone should have known the approach. There should have been no need to consciously choose giving up five yards in order to avoid a potential disaster. The disaster shouldn’t need to have been avoided.

Moreover, it didn’t seem as if Campbell consciously chose to give up five yards. After the penalty flag was thrown, Campbell could be seen saying to an official, “What was the call? What was the call?” If Campbell was aware of the rule when the team called a second straight time out between plays, he would have known that the Lions had been called for delay of game.

Then there’s this — giving up the touchdown would have made the score, at worst, 21-14. And the Lions would have had more than 1:40 to force overtime or win in regulation with a two-point conversion. By burning two timeouts and giving up the first down on the next play, the Lions couldn’t avoid the Bears attempting a walk-off field goal for the win.

At one point on Thursday, one of the Fox announcers said that Campbell is learning on the job. That’s not the way it’s supposed to be, not with so many qualified individuals and so few head-coaching vacancies. No NFL head coach should be given the luxury of learning on the job; either you already know how to do it, or the team should hire someone else who does.

Including the dozen games he served as the interim head coach of the Dolphins in 2015, Campbell has now worked as a head coach for 23 games. If you’re still learning the job 23 games in and six years after your first dozen games as a head coach, maybe someone else should have gotten that job

worst excuse ive ever heard, you'd have been better off giving up a TD than a first down also

Remove this Banner Ad

Back