Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a really difficult week for me.
The loss of a pet combined with some personal challenges and I just feel like crying all the goddam time.

I'm very grateful to a couple of folks on here who took time out of their lives to have a Zoom call with me as well as much personal messaging and video calling. You have no idea how much I appreciate you both.

I've now got a doctors appointment on Monday to do a mental health care plan as well as some recommendations for psychologists. Hopefully, brighter times ahead!

The loss of a pet combined with some personal challenges and I just feel like crying all the goddam time.

I'm very grateful to a couple of folks on here who took time out of their lives to have a Zoom call with me as well as much personal messaging and video calling. You have no idea how much I appreciate you both.

I've now got a doctors appointment on Monday to do a mental health care plan as well as some recommendations for psychologists. Hopefully, brighter times ahead!

Well done Massive, 1st step taken. If you're G.P. is good the mental health care plan l found worked well. Win tomorrow will help too 👍

Well done mate. Not the easiest thing to do.

Well done mate. Not the easiest thing to do.
I've been needing to do this for a while to be honest. It's scary, but necessary. I'm probably most worried about being medicated

I've been needing to do this for a while to be honest. It's scary, but necessary. I'm probably most worried about being medicated

Maybe speak to the psychologist before you take the meds.

Everyone is different and obviously I don’t know your situation. Meds can be great for some people but aren’t the answer for others.

The other bit of advice I can give is to be referred to a psychologist that has been doing it for a while. The reason I say that is because of the last few years the demand for psychologists has gone through the roof and a lot of junior psychologists have been pushed into practicing without a lot of experience.

That’s not just my opinion, I was told that after I came out of hospital and they told me to make sure I get someone with experience. I did that and my current psychologist is awesome.

Maybe speak to the psychologist before you take the meds.

Everyone is different and obviously I don’t know your situation. Meds can be great for some people but aren’t the answer for others.

The other bit of advice I can give is to be referred to a psychologist that has been doing it for a while. The reason I say that is because of the last few years the demand for psychologists has gone through the roof and a lot of junior psychologists have been pushed into practicing without a lot of experience.

That’s not just my opinion, I was told that after I came out of hospital and they told me to make sure I get someone with experience. I did that and my current psychologist is awesome.
Thanks Val. I've got a very good friend who is a therapist and she's given me some recommendations, so I'll be in good hands.

Regarding the medications. They generally have a loading period of a month or more, so I wouldn't outright not take them if your GP thinks they're a good idea, as if you decide you really do need them, then you have over a month + what you waited to get the full effect.

If they don't work, you can safely come off them and no harm will be done.

If they do, great, but don't ignore that theres underlying issues to work through with the psych. The biggest mistake people make with medication is they feel better when they take it, then ignore the underlying cause of the initial presentation.

I was always anti-medication til I actually tried them, and I like the analogy "you wouldn't expect someone with a broken arm to get by without a cast".

Medications can be that assistance that holds everything in place while you take the time to heal, it doesn't mean you have to wear the cast forever.

I self harmed and in emergency on Friday and only discharged yesterday.

I've done all the Uni (Law (post Grad Barrister qualified), Commerce as a back up) and marriage, daughter etc, but since i lost that after my Ex left me for my mate and stole my daughter I've found myself now in a loop (or pattern) of bad decisions that I need to improve upon which I'm seeking.

Intelligence is not related to mental health, I am no good at resilience or coping skills, that is something I now acutely know.

Lots of appointments made to help hopefully.

Last edited:

I've done all the Uni (Law (post Grad Barrister qualified), Commerce as a back up) and marriage, daughter etc, but since i lost that after my Ex left me for my mate and stole my daughter I've found myself now in a loop (or pattern) of bad decisions that I need to improve upon which I'm seeking.

Intelligence is not related to mental health, I am no good at resilience or coping skills, that is something I now acutely know.

Hopefully on the road to bigger and better things MLC.
Bang on the money about intelligence and mental health not being related. I've done uni degrees and have a career as a senior executive in a mid sized business. Just because you are intelligent doesn't mean you have necessarily developed the life skills to deal with all that comes your way, as I am finding out only recently myself

Regarding the medications. They generally have a loading period of a month or more, so I wouldn't outright not take them if your GP thinks they're a good idea, as if you decide you really do need them, then you have over a month + what you waited to get the full effect.

If they don't work, you can safely come off them and no harm will be done.

If they do, great, but don't ignore that theres underlying issues to work through with the psych. The biggest mistake people make with medication is they feel better when they take it, then ignore the underlying cause of the initial presentation.

I was always anti-medication til I actually tried them, and I like the analogy "you wouldn't expect someone with a broken arm to get by without a cast".

Medications can be that assistance that holds everything in place while you take the time to heal, it doesn't mean you have to wear the cast forever.
After seeing my psych for a few weeks, I was diagnosed with persistent depression coupled with a major depressive disorder. So it's been hanging around at a low level for a few years and some trigger has really brought it to the forefront recently.

I've been on Lexapro now for about 3 weeks and my partner has asked me if I am feeling "happier" as she's noticing the difference. I'm certainly less angry and irritable than I was, but still not where I need to be. Continuing therapy with my psychologist, so am hoping that the stay on medication is relatively short. I'm experiencing some side effects in terms of persistent low level headaches and a minor sexual function (which I'm not gonna complain about).

All in all, persist.

Jesus bro. Don’t ****en do that. Reach out next time. You will get through this.

Horrible to hear mate. Reach out to any of us if you need a chat. Your frustrations have been very evident of late, so was wondering if something was up. Realising noone is immune is good insight, and shows you're on the right track to getting better.
After seeing my psych for a few weeks, I was diagnosed with persistent depression coupled with a major depressive disorder. So it's been hanging around at a low level for a few years and some trigger has really brought it to the forefront recently.

I've been on Lexapro now for about 3 weeks and my partner has asked me if I am feeling "happier" as she's noticing the difference. I'm certainly less angry and irritable than I was, but still not where I need to be. Continuing therapy with my psychologist, so am hoping that the stay on medication is relatively short. I'm experiencing some side effects in terms of persistent low level headaches and a minor sexual function (which I'm not gonna complain about).

All in all, persist.
Good to hear mate. Persist is right.
Once you're 'loaded', ask about switching to another medication. I started on lexapro as well, and had similar issues, switched over to sertraline (Zoloft) and now side-effects are basically non-existent.

People think that the medication doctors recommend for them is whats best, it's not the case with anxiety/depression meds, its all about finding what works for you.

My mum went for 30+ years on a medication assuming it was the best for her, had massive emotional outbursts, attempted suicide and constantly felt like shit. One day 30 yrs in she asked to try something else, and it was the best thing she ever did. Completely different woman now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to hear mate. Persist is right.
Once you're 'loaded', ask about switching to another medication. I started on lexapro as well, and had similar issues, switched over to sertraline (Zoloft) and now side-effects are basically non-existent.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give Lexapro a couple of months to work its magic and then have the discussion about an alternative.
Appreciate the insights as always

So yeah, I have my issues and doing counselling, as I am (obviously) far from perfect.

Just told this very minute I was "a mistake", that "should never have happened".

(I was 3rd born and my brother and sisters 5 and 7 older)

Not hurtful at all : (
Just gotta change your outlook. I had that years ago, when I was still not a lot more than a pup. I laughed and told my mum that she was no good at planning anything anyway :cool:
bart-saturday-night-fever-strut-gif-copy.gif

Years later, when my dad was bagging me for her being my mum, I laughed at him and said "I have no choice in that, but you sh@gged her" :cool:
He reckoned he needed a mate. He's a good fella for a Melbourne supporter :)

Just gotta change your outlook. I had that years ago, when I was still not a lot more than a pup. I laughed and told my mum that she was no good at planning anything anyway :cool:
bart-saturday-night-fever-strut-gif-copy.gif

Years later, when my dad was bagging me for her being my mum, I laughed at him and said "I have no choice in that, but you sh@gged her" :cool:
He reckoned he needed a mate. He's a good fella for a Melbourne supporter :)

Thank you mate and I understand.

Still very hurtful to be basically be told you weren't wanted, and comments since which confirm that.

Anyway I thank you for your msg. I am not perfect on here and I acknowledge that for sure.

I also said things I regret, but it is hard to accept.

My Counsellor since my attitude is awesome, he like knows me more than I know myself.

He said he can help me so I am very positive about that and will give it my best.

Last edited:
So yeah, I have my issues and doing counselling, as I am (obviously) far from perfect.

Just told this very minute I was "a mistake", that "should never have happened".

(I was 3rd born and my brother and sisters 5 and 7 years older)

Not hurtful at all : (
People are shit sometimes. I was going to ask who told you this, and what context, but at the end of the day that doesn't matter. No one has the right to tell you that your existence/value can be judged by the actions of other, even your parents.
You are here now, you set your own value.

You are here now, you set your own value.
This! It took me a long time to work out, but if you place your worth in the hands of others, you will be continually disappointed.

This might not be your taste in music, but the lyrics are pretty damn fine in this context.

I think I need to take a break from NMFC. I don't think I'll be able to though.

I'm actually feeling really down, a bit depressed and today cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel for us.

I nearly *'n died in April, got to a whiteroom in an out of body experience while being medi-vac'd in a chopper and chose to come back. The weird thing is, I feel more upset/traumatized by the crazy stuff happening at NMFC. I'm nearly out of energy when it comes to being a North person from the day I was born on 1 Oct 1977.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm actually feeling really down, a bit depressed and today cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel for us.

I nearly *'n died in April, got to a whiteroom in an out of body experience while being medi-vac'd in a chopper and chose to come back. The weird thing is, I feel more upset/traumatized by the crazy stuff happening at NMFC. I'm nearly out of energy when it comes to being a North person from the day I was born on 1 Oct 1977.

I think we all need a break Haze, it's pretty devastating a.t.m. Was considering the same myself.

If you like l'll buddy you and meet back on Nov.1 ? Or you need longer ?

Good choice coming back mate. Kangas are about to go "Boom" and in a bloody good way. And to quote our mate The acurate one "just you wait and see" Ever been up in a helicopter just for fun? They're awesome. I've always pegged 77 as a good year, so you may as well hang around in here, even use the rule put forward by someone a few days ago, "if it's longer than 4 lines, don't bother". Now I never played for your Wimbledon Hawks, I was a West London Wildcat, but a mate I play footy with was a Hawk. That's 4 lines, gotta go :)

Ya know, it is our lot to support the AFL mongrel, and between you and me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Yeah sure we may not have the success of others but we will again be successful.

It just makes it some much sweeter and more enjoyable when it happens. I could not imagine supporting any other side. Not saying you would of course, you wouldn't.

Hope you're ok mate.

And yes rickety,

Just you wait and see.

Hi all.
As I've been open on suicide and my attempts (I don't want sympathy), this song was played in the Ward.

Sure it might not be a great song for some, but in that moment it helped me and others cope.

So yeah, it helped me focus not in a relationship way, rather the greater meaning of "staying" (keep trying)

I welcome PM's regarding self-harm, depression or dark thoughts as I believe I can help.

If I can't, I'd hope at the very least help you to find someone who is a professional in the field which I certainly am not outside my own personal experience. (which is an ongoing process)

Cheers all.

MLC

Last edited:
Really, really feeling a bit of burnout lately. Manifesting in anxious and/or depressive symptoms. Not sure how to go about treating it. I have a holiday booked not too long from now but they don't help with the exhaustion that causes this. If I reach out to my boss and try to take some time off, there's a risk (as has happened before) that I just use that time to mull over how stressed I'd been. This one crept up, hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back