Dele

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a good interview. Cut to about 18 minutes where Dele opens up about his childhood. Then he had great foster parents when he was a teenager. Clearly his background affected him but it has been his bad decisions as an adult that has ruined his career. I really doubt that he has the mental or physical resilience to be a top footballer again.

Heartbreaking stuff

It is. But I wonder why he has chosen to reveal it all in public. If he has trauma from his childhood he should be talking to a counsellor in private not Gary Neville on a TV show. Perhaps he has done that, but celebrities spilling their guts in public and highlighting their rehab sessions looks a lot like attention seeking. It sounds like he had a rough childhood then a stable environment as a teenager before his stellar early career. But he pretty much admits his demise as a footballer is due to his bad choices. A Jesse Pinkman lifestyle isn't compatible with being an elite athlete.

Maybe Sean Dyche will be Roy Kent to his Jamie? But there's only so much a club can do to support a player. Ultimately, he's paid a lot of money to perform on a football field. He has to get his act together or he will be let go.

It is. But I wonder why he has chosen to reveal it all in public. If he has trauma from his childhood he should be talking to a counsellor in private not Gary Neville on a TV show. Perhaps he has done that, but celebrities spilling their guts in public and highlighting their rehab sessions looks a lot like attention seeking. It sounds like he had a rough childhood then a stable environment as a teenager before his stellar early career. But he pretty much admits his demise as a footballer is due to his bad choices. A Jesse Pinkman lifestyle isn't compatible with being an elite athlete.

Maybe Sean Dyche will be Roy Kent to his Jamie? But there's only so much a club can do to support a player. Ultimately, he's paid a lot of money to perform on a football field. He has to get his act together or he will be let go.
* me I’ve read some idiotic things on this site but this is definitely up there.

Not your best post mate. Dele opened up and showed vulnerability. Who cares about his football.

He mentioned in the interview why he was doing it. He said he didn’t feel ready but had no choice because the media knew about his stint in rehab and were threatening to go public with it so wanted to get on the front foot.

Very powerful by Dele, I had to watch in smaller instalments as this kind of content is very difficult for me to process at times. Tremendously brave and I particularly appreciated Neville holding space for him and supporting Dele through some very traumatic sections of the video. You just never ever know what challenges people face. Everyone is battling invisible demons that we know nothing about.

Did you even watch the interview? This is a staggering post. Holy crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very powerful by Dele, I had to watch in smaller instalments as this kind of content is very difficult for me to process at times. Tremendously brave and I particularly appreciated Neville holding space for him and supporting Dele through some very traumatic sections of the video. You just never ever know what challenges people face. Everyone is battling invisible demons that we know nothing about.

Did you even watch the interview? This is a staggering post. Holy crap.
Certainly contextualises his sharp fall.
He shone too bright for such a fall from grace to be for frivolous reasons. Now we know why.

Certainly contextualises his sharp fall.
He shone too bright for such a fall from grace to be for frivolous reasons. Now we know why.

Given his upbringing, he’s done extraordinarily well to make it to the elite level of football. Seemed like a very rapid rise for him once he achieved stability in his home life from 12 onwards. It was lovely to hear him speak of his adoptive family so warmly.

I just hope that now this information is known, his detractors and the media etc just * off and leave him alone.

He mentioned in the interview why he was doing it. He said he didn’t feel ready but had no choice because the media knew about his stint in rehab and were threatening to go public with it so wanted to get on the front foot.

I understand that part. But it could have been handled by Everton making a statement acknowledging that he had recently been in rehab, that they continue to support his mental health and physical recovery, and asking for the press to give him some privacy.

I understand that part. But it could have been handled by Everton making a statement acknowledging that he had recently been in rehab, that they continue to support his mental health and physical recovery, and asking for the press to give him some privacy.
That kind of statement would just lead to the British press digging more into it

That kind of statement would just lead to the British press digging more into it

Maybe. It could have also been released that the rehab was for sleeping pill addiction. There's no shame in that, and talking about it might shine a light on a common problem with other footballers. The press would have no reason to dig more - because that's why people go into rehab.

I'm more questioning Dele's choice of making his childhood trauma public on a TV show with Gary Neville. Some things are better discussed in private with a qualified therapist. Neville is neither a trained counsellor or a skilled interviewer.

The press would have no reason to dig more - because that's why people go into rehab.
Ha! Not sure that's the case with the British Press.

I'm more questioning Dele's choice of making his childhood trauma public on a TV show with Gary Neville. Some things are better discussed in private with a qualified therapist. Neville is neither a trained counsellor or a skilled interviewer.
He gave his reasons. He would rather tell his story to the general public than have Neil Custis or Piers Morgan tell it for him.

Might be time to stop digging haha.
Frank rn...

The_Core_poster.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back