Review Dees v Eagles and the Ghost of Murray Wrensted: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

As a coach, John Northey had the ability to get the best out of a very ordinary player list.
Our coaches do the opposite. They get the worst out of a good list.

My view is that the coaches are too reluctant to throw the magnets around when the current plan is not working.

The formula has not changed for years. Every player seems to pigeonholed into certain roles notwithstanding that rotating players through different positions would make us more dynamic and less predictable to play against.

When the coaches make a positional change, they will never go for the obvious moves i.e. Kozzy and Riv getting more CBA, playing Trac one out in the F50, or swinging Petty back to defence etc. But they will do something mind boggingly stupid, like experimenting with Salem as an onballer.

This is then compounded by us having too many of the same 'types'. We shouldn't be running with Oliver, Viney and Sparrow every week, particularly if Trac is playing majority on ball. We only really need two of those types. Give the third spot to a player that adds a point of difference to our midfield mix. Whether it be Laurie or Hunter (if coaches and players can forgive him for being a degenerate during the season).

The coaching group has their head is too far up their ass with trying to use analytics. Goodwin seems more concerned with hitting KPIs on I50s, scores from intercepts, and any metrics that pertain to contested footy. It is why Goodwin gets too hung up on things like 'brand', 'dna'and expected score. He can't follow the game as it unfolds and is unwilling/unable to adjust when the game is not being played on his terms.

The assistant coaches need a clean out. It would be good to get a new team in soon. Assistants that have the chutzpah to challenge Goodwin, and with the ambition and competitiveness to challenge for head coaching vacancies. Our coaching panel is too complacent and comfortable with their current station in life:

- Goodwin: will always be a "premiership coach" but I doubt he would have any suitors if he departed MFC. An average coach who rode the coattails of a talented team that peaked for 4 weeks in 2021.

- Richardson and Choco: both are happy to have a job at AFL level. Neither will get a sniff at head coaching again, and their next job (if any) will not be more senior than where they are at now

- McQualter: will be a longtime professional assistant coach. Staying longterm on a sliding MFC team will be bad for his CV though.

- Stafford: he's just happy to be here. Offers nothing. Only skill is being Gawn's mate. I genuinely think BBB has something to offer as a forwards coach when he retires from playing BUT I would hate it if he got the gig at MFC. We desperately need outside voices to challenge the status quo, not another numpty from the boys club.

Waterman took 13 marks.

Petty, Gawn, BBB, Fritsch, May had 9 marks between them.

Obviously our mids got trounced and the forwards had terrible supply, but jesus christ.

To be fair to the forwards, we had 36 inside 50s. Even including yesterday's game we average 50 this year.

Our forward efficiency was 58.3%, our average for the season is 47.7.

To be fair to the forwards, we had 36 inside 50s. Even including yesterday's game we average 50 this year.

Our forward efficiency was 58.3%, our average for the season is 47.7.
You don't just take marks inside 50. Our talls were terrible around the ground and offered nothing (even with terrible service).

Shambolic game from our leaders. Gawn well down against a terrible opponent. Viney a non-factor like he's been last month or so. May sulking. Petracca in and out of the game. Lever obviously off the ground early.

How many times did we attempt to just hack the ball off the ground? Pick up the footy dickheads. Was very lazy football.

You don't just take marks inside 50. Our talls were terrible around the ground and offered nothing (even with terrible service).

Shambolic game from our leaders. Gawn well down against a terrible opponent. Viney a non-factor like he's been last month or so. May sulking. Petracca in and out of the game. Lever obviously off the ground early.

How many times did we attempt to just hack the ball off the ground? Pick up the footy dickheads. Was very lazy football.

Not defending the forwards as such, there's clearly issues there especially with our pressure lately, just saying I think our biggest issue the last 6 weeks or so has been our midfield. No form whatsoever, look confused and lost, game style doesn't suit them at all, it's just a complete mess.

Giving the backline a mulligan for yesterday given the lack of pressure up the ground and the smashing that happened in the middle, plus Lever getting taken off early.

Don't think I've seen May so comprehensively beaten by his direct opponent in the contest that we had to throw Tmac to Waterman, and it only got worse from there

Don't think I've seen May so comprehensively beaten by his direct opponent in the contest that we had to throw Tmac to Waterman, and it only got worse from there
Waterman is great. Not sure why he feels the need to staple roadkill to the back of his head, but really exciting player

When your throwing key defenders around and taking marks you can do anything you want except a man bun.
Yes I agree that there is a certain level where you can make the most unlikely look work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I agree that there is a certain level where you can make the most unlikely look work
He's playing like an actual key forward from the 90s I love it. I might start watching WC games just for him and Reid.

I'm giving our back 6 an out for that game. The pressure from the midfield was pathetic. Harley Reid broke close to an AFL record in tackles for one game. They just waltzed through the middle like a pre season game..
yeah i think Reid also had 7 bounces or something crazy like that as well. i wish we had some ball winners who could carry the ball like that.

I don't even know why I'm so pissed off, I was dreading the game anyway.

Seeing Lions etc. hand out absolute beltings to rubbish teams, I figured we'd rock up and get an infuriating and lazy 20 point win and we couldn't even manage that. :$

What a bunch of useless pricks.

Last edited:
I thought Salem was solid first game back.

He's not the answer to all of our problems but he made good decisions ball in hand (didn't just blaze away and actually thought about putting a team mate in a better position) and was strong in the contest.

I think he also provides decent defensive coverage at centre bounce when Viney and Oliver are bumping into each other trying to win the same ground ball whilst also being comfortable getting out of congestion and using his left foot.

Also another midfield rotation to hopefully allow Trac more forward time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back