Deadzone, Dreadball, Kings of War, Warpath & Dungeon Sagas - Mantic Games

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.manticgames.com/

Does anyone here play any of the games made by Mantic? They're a company of Games Workshop refugees pushed out by the rotten corporate culture over the years; they started out making very low cost alternative miniatures for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer fantasy, but have grown in recent years thanks to Kickstarter. Now they have:

Kings of War: A fantasy mass battle miniatures wargame that has better (and free) rules, and significantly cheaper minis than Warhammer while allowing people to bring their Warhammer armies over and just proxy with them, currently nailing down the coffin lid on the GW game worldwide as Warmachine and Hordes dig the grave.
Kings-of-War-Orcs-Goblins-Vs-Twilight-Kin-Abyssal-Dwarfs.jpg

Warpath: A direct scifi competitor to Warhammer 40k, it's still in early stages but is coming out with two exciting new rules (one for company sized battles, one for mass apocalypse-esque battles) next month for playtesting, leading up to a massive Kickstarter campaign next year.
Fate-of-the-forgestar-Contents-Shot.jpg

Battlezone.jpg

6x4-with-deadzone-terrain.jpg

Dreadball: A sports boardgame, scifi hockey meets basketball in the Warpath fictional universe carrying on the torch GW dropped with Bloodbowl but not merely the same game reborn. Dreadball Xtreme is a more violent version in development, featuring teams playing in a league run by crime bosses where the only rules are "win or die"
Beastsofwar-DreadBallAcademyEpisode3TheFullGameRules759-731.jpg

dreadball_xtreme_boxed_game_v2.jpg

Deadzone: The new skirmish game, it's a hybrid of a skirmish wargame and a boardgame that dispenses with the nerdy tape measures in favour of a simple 3 dimensional grid with modular plastic terrain, it exploded on kickstarter and is really killing it right now. It's meant to be a lead in to Warpath, enticing you to buy further in as the Deadzone minis can be used in the Warpath game proper.
deadzone-contents-shot-sml.jpg

Mars Attacks!: This is a licensed game, taking the Topps property that the movie was based on, and applying it to a simplified version of the Deadzone rules. It's not out until September, but it's already sold more than any other game they've made thanks to huge preorders from distributors that should see the box in your local game store, if not on the shelves of department stores.
634efaa517c0947a35696582e5fd7afd_large.jpeg

mars-attacks-colour-shot-1.jpg

(minis do not come prepainted)

Dungeon Saga - Dwarf King's Quest: The first proper boardgame Mantic made was a neat little dungeon crawler called Dwarf King's Hold, which had a further 2 expansions. It was fun, but limited and not great quality of components. In a week, what was originally called Dwarf King's Hold 4 is launching on Kickstarter as the first part of a series of dungeon crawling sagas, with a basic game, a special section with rules to let you make your own RPG-esque campaigns with full stat lines for every fantasy mini in their range, character advancement, brand new minis, and plastic scatter terrain. This game is basically HeroQuest and Warhammerquest updated, improved and reborn.
rwoztx.jpg

Exciting times for Mantic; exciting for gamers too, as they're basically picking up the legacy of all the fun small games GW used to make before inexplicably dropping them. Funnily enough, I have most of those games! Not had a lot of opportunity to play many of them yet though, and still working on assembling Warpath and Kings of War armies.

So yeah, Dungeon Saga has just over a day left and it has exploded, $150k in the last 3 days and today isn't over yet, highest backer count and second highest funding total for a Mantic project.

If you like dungeon crawlers, ie like me remember getting into the dark side of gaming via Hero Quest, you really should check it out, there's an alpha of the rules available to read and a ton of stuff in the box for backers

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dungeon-saga-the-dwarf-kings-quest

The next stretch goal is a Dragon! How can you not?! :p Big goal at +$100k but $10k of that has come already, and I know from a Pathfinder that an Abyssal Dwarf expansion is on the cards if the money keeps coming

I kick started deadball x-treme. Looks great, can't wait to give it a go.

I backed it too because I missed the original, looking forward to getting it

I got my Mars Attacks last month, and my Dreadball Xtreme is on the way. Gonna play Mars Attacks with a friend this month, and hopefully get some more Deadzone in now that I've painted up my first two Deadzone strike teams too.

Plague: Nexus Psi strain

79jOEzF.jpg

Marauders: Napoleorx Imperial Guard

5vXiYhk.jpg

ORNW05E.jpg

Mantic has their Crazy Boxes for Xmas again too, 70 gbp of random minis and other things from their product lines for 25 gbp, one of everything, one scifi only

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/pre-order/crazy-box.html

Dungeon Saga - Dwarf King's Quest: The first proper boardgame Mantic made was a neat little dungeon crawler called Dwarf King's Hold, which had a further 2 expansions. It was fun, but limited and not great quality of components. In a week, what was originally called Dwarf King's Hold 4 is launching on Kickstarter as the first part of a series of dungeon crawling sagas, with a basic game, a special section with rules to let you make your own RPG-esque campaigns with full stat lines for every fantasy mini in their range, character advancement, brand new minis, and plastic scatter terrain. This game is basically HeroQuest and Warhammerquest updated, improved and reborn.
rwoztx.jpg
Got a million bucks. Jeeeeeez.

Games like deadzone, dreadball, necromunda, mordheim etc. Generally don't go above 15 characters and even that's usually pretty high. It's not too bad. There are plenty of large scale and extremely expensive games though.
What would, say, 15 characters end up costing?

What would, say, 15 characters end up costing?
Definitely variable across the companies and games, for dreadball you pay between $15USD and $25USD for each 8 model pack. Pretty much all the small scale games come with enough models for two complete teams. Dreadball Xtreme was $75USD for the base game with everything to be able to play.

Mantic are a great deal cheaper than Games Workshop though.

These miniatures games have always seemed really expensive, then there's the painting.

40,000 posts!

Hahahaha oh man, if you only knew how great it was you talked about them being too expensive in your 40,000th post

By which I mean Warhammer 40k is incredibly expensive, contributing heavily to the imminent death of Games Workshop.

Other games are much less expensive - Mantic in particular is good value in terms of $ per mini, other games like Warmachine are still high $ per mini but require vastly less to play compared to the 40k benchmark.

If you don't want to paint, the hottest ticket right now is Star Wars: X Wing by Fantasy Flight, a prepainted skirmish game between the fighters from Star Wars, it's killing everything in sales. Coming later this year is Star Wars: Armada, same idea except using large ships like Star Destroyers

Last edited:
If you don't want to paint, the hottest ticket right now is Star Wars: X Wing by Fantasy Flight, a prepainted skirmish game between the fighters from Star Wars, it's killing everything in sales. Coming later this year is Star Wars: Armada, same idea except using large ships like Star Destroyers.
A friend is heavily into it but I haven't played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A friend is heavily into it but I haven't played.

Neither have I, but I have preordered Armada, the starter has a Star Destroyer in it :thumbsu:

And yeah, Dungeon Saga was super popular, it's gonna be so sweet :D They often allow non KS backers to add themselves to the pledge manager just as if they'd backed it, I can drop the details for it here when it's open if anyone is interested.

Neither have I, but I have preordered Armada, the starter has a Star Destroyer in it :thumbsu:

And yeah, Dungeon Saga was super popular, it's gonna be so sweet :D They often allow non KS backers to add themselves to the pledge manager just as if they'd backed it, I can drop the details for it here when it's open if anyone is interested.
I am kind of interested. We've just done our first installment of the D&D Legend of Drizzzzt game. Not the same, I know, but the general idea of going from freeform RPG to boardgame style is there.

Right I am going to start a miniatures/scenery painting thread.

Deadzone: The new skirmish game, it's a hybrid of a skirmish wargame and a boardgame that dispenses with the nerdy tape measures in favour of a simple 3 dimensional grid with modular plastic terrain, it exploded on kickstarter and is really killing it right now. It's meant to be a lead in to Warpath, enticing you to buy further in as the Deadzone minis can be used in the Warpath game proper.
Starter box is at $110 at Games Empire - worth it?

Starter box is at $110 at Games Empire - worth it?

It's a really good game. I think it's worth it, but it's also worth mentioning a new starter called Deadzone: Infestation is coming out Q1 next year, which is fixing some rule and rulebook layout issues. You'll get a free or discount copy of the new rules next year if you buy it at retail now.

It's a really good game. I think it's worth it, but it's also worth mentioning a new starter called Deadzone: Infestation is coming out Q1 next year, which is fixing some rule and rulebook layout issues. You'll get a free or discount copy of the new rules next year if you buy it at retail now.
Had some bad reviews for the quality of the miniatures - lots of flashing and carving to get them to fit. Is that your experience?

Mars Attacks!: This is a licensed game, taking the Topps property that the movie was based on, and applying it to a simplified version of the Deadzone rules. It's not out until September, but it's already sold more than any other game they've made thanks to huge preorders from distributors that should see the box in your local game store, if not on the shelves of department stores.
OK I won't tell my comic shop guy about this one...

http://www.gamesempire.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=16511 - $84

http://acecomics.myshopify.com/products/stk652693 - $198

Ouch! That's a really high shelf price

Had some bad reviews for the quality of the miniatures - lots of flashing and carving to get them to fit. Is that your experience?

Most of the minis are made out of PVC, so there are more mould lines to deal with than a well made hard plastic sprue, but it's really not as dramatic as some people claim it to be. You just have to scrape them off with a sharp knife, takes a few minutes, problem sorted.

From a board gamer perspective sure, because they're used to out of the box and ready to go, and that's a criticism mantic took on board and rectified for Dreadball Xtreme, Mars Attacks and now Dungeon Saga with minis that are all 1 or 2 piece in an adjusted PVC formula with a tighter QC gate. Most wargamers complaining about it don't really have an excuse; a lot of their criticism comes through the lens of Games Workshop koolaid sipping.

Warpath: A direct scifi competitor to Warhammer 40k, it's still in early stages but is coming out with two exciting new rules (one for company sized battles, one for mass apocalypse-esque battles) next month for playtesting, leading up to a massive Kickstarter campaign next year.
Fate-of-the-forgestar-Contents-Shot.jpg
Backed... though I am sure I will play it about twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back