Random de Grammar FRED

Remove this Banner Ad

You should have had a comma after sorry too, but who's (not whose, fyi) counting? :D
I.e: (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

What do they teach at school these days? I've even seen journos use who's when they meant whose.

And the full stop isn't needed within brackets, it should be after them..... ;)

It depends whether there's a full stop before the brackets.

ie. It's. (Sorry I couldn't resist.) or It's (sorry I couldn't resist). are both valid but It's. (Sorry I couldn't resist). is wrong.

Another one I laugh at is when people say "ATM Machine".

ATM machine = PIN number.

Both words are redundant but have become acceptable.

Lol, this is going to end up being one epic thread!!

I agree. I'm gonna take a break now. :D

I actually tried to explain it in it's simplest term without getting into the finer details of it's meaning.
It's used as a possessive term, not to indicate possession. That word would be own or owning, having etc.

'To indicate possession' was fine.

What do they teach at school these days? I've even seen journos use who's when they meant whose.

I know, some of the grammar coming from young children is appalling.
If they didn't have a spell checker on their computer they would be stuffed!!

I always make a habit of whenever the spell check highlights a word I have incorrectly spelt to then make sure I learn the correct spelling for next time.

I agree. I'm gonna take a break now. :D

Yes I think I might do the same!! :D

Another small thing that irritates me is the use of American English to spell words.

ize over ise

EG: Analyze/analyse

Another small thing that irritates me is the use of American English to spell words.

ize over ise

EG: Analyze/analyse

Ugh, yeah and its forced upon us with bloody spell checkers on computers and phones.
Even when you select "Australian English" it still corrects it to "ize".

Don't get me started on bloody auto-correct.....

Ugh, yeah and its forced upon us with bloody spell checkers on computers and phones.
Even when you select "Australian English" it still corrects it to "ize".

Don't get me started on bloody auto-correct.....
Yes I know. It's a bloody pain in the ass.:p

And for our friends on the Norf board who stumble on this while checking if Hmac will be coming our way, it's Josh CADDY , not CATTY, although I can see why you might confuse the too. As well.

Frustrates me when people spell the number 2 'too'.

Frustrates me when people spell the number 2 'too'.

Sorry,my humour.

Just heard neeld on sen 'not ruling anything out', that's fine. I grew up with that. But until a few years ago I'd never heard of his next one, 'not ruling anything in'. How the #*•k can you rule something in? Or is it just me :confused:

But the kicker for me is this; "Strangled Cat makes less grammatical errors then most of you."
Not to mention that the word fewer should be used when talking about discrete (countable) quantities.

There is less water in the sink than in the bath.
There are fewer biscuits in this jar than that one.

I don't blame people for getting this wrong. Just about every supermarket incorrectly has "12 items or less" queues. (Foodworks being the only one I know that gets this right)

So these don't fall under the general grammar/punctuation/spelling peeves but I'm going to put them down anyway.

Going forward.
Buying in.
Geelong way.

As in: "We don't want him if he doesn't buy in to the Geelong way going forward."

Anyone who has any idea of where this awful language comes from or the slimy bastards that use it to obfuscate and fudge reality, would not use it. The bullshit language of business, politics and bureaucracy and it's creeping into everyday speech, much to my disappointment. Give me bad spelling over this dead language any day.

That said, bias/biased and have/of are two of the more common mistakes that tend to get on my nerves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's 'sense' not 'sence'.

Also adding 'z' to things like 'Catterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz' should be punishable by death unless used ironically.
Kinda like jazzee instead of jazzy...or are you being ironic? ;)

And no, I don't mean Alanis Morissette irony.

"I seen that game".

I have encountered the use of "a pose" instead of "oppose" to contrast or highlight the difference between two things. I.e. "Josh Caddy has a strong body as a pose to Mitch Brown".

Except Mitch Brown has Juicy thighs. Sorry Bobby, I could not resist. Hoffy made me do it.

I quit reading or being involved with this thread, from here going forward. You blokes come join in the real threads once you remove the sticks from your dates...;)

So these don't fall under the general grammar/punctuation/spelling peeves but I'm going to put them down anyway.

Going forward.
Buying in.
Geelong way.

Another example of footy-speak is the use of "for mine". The person I first noticed doing it was Luke Darcy, but now it seems to be quite common amongst many commentators as well as BF posters.

I don't understand why people just don't say "I think" or "in my opinion". "For mine" doesn't even make sense from a grammatical point of view!

I'll tell you what had me chomping at the bit? The fact that North supporters thought Josh Catty was theres. Alot of discussion was exchanged between us and them, and all I could think of the whole time was "Your all idiots". After loosing out on him, which according to Hard to Beat couldn't of been prevented, I can't wait till we're versing them at KP again. I bet their shitting in their dacks at the thought to. Catty will be a star, and his a fair bloke to. I'm telling use all this, and I'm not even bias. Catty will be better then Kelly. There's heaps of proof to back that statement up I mean for starters his a much better kick than Pops and his a fair ball extractor but most importantly the Gold Coast rigged his B&F count because they knew he was leaving so he really should have finished top five.

maybe i was being too bright there, i'll take that back. ZOMG! I'm defiantly gonna go to heaps of Cats game this year to see Catty up close, though I'll have to introduce swingeing cuts to help that. He'll be a good player in a dominate team with Selwood, Bundy ect ect, not to mention he looks supa! Whom else could have beem such a great fit for us! Like literally he is a literally perfect match. I think all of you and me can agree on this.

Just because I can.

Not to mention that the word fewer should be used when talking about discrete (countable) quantities.

There is less water in the sink than in the bath.
There are fewer biscuits in this jar than that one.

I don't blame people for getting this wrong. Just about every supermarket incorrectly has "12 items or less" queues. (Foodworks being the only one I know that gets this right)
You are right (or should that be correct?) in what you are saying though. I did say most people, just admit you're being just a little bit pedantic, eh! :p

Another example of footy-speak is the use of "for mine". The person I first noticed doing it was Luke Darcy, but now it seems to be quite common amongst many commentators as well as BF posters.

I don't understand why people just don't say "I think" or "in my opinion". "For mine" doesn't even make sense from a grammatical point of view!
I'm a repeat offender. Sue me.

It all comes down to
"In my opinion" = 11 letters + 2 spaces
"For mine" = 7 letters + 1 space

Therefore "for mine" indicates a lesser use of the keyboard, which is used to navigate around the Internet, which is powered by electricity, which is not good for the environment.

We're retaining the ecosystem. Deal with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back