Senior Dayne Zorko (2011-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Decade from hell: 11 moments that defined Lions' meteoric rise
2. Recruiting 'The Magician'
This was a gift from Gold Coast that Brisbane will always be thankful for. After being overlooked in four successive drafts, Dayne Zorko's chances of an AFL career looked slim, until the Suns recruited the dynamic midfielder as a Queensland priority selection in 2011. However, Gold Coast quickly on-traded the local product to the Lions in a three-way trade that netted them reliable Melbourne defender Matthew Warnock. Zorko is now Brisbane's captain, has been named an All Australian and won four Merrett Murray medals.

706497_ll.jpg

The Suns’ plundered the Lions, but they did give something back. Dayne Zorko was a born-and-bred Queenslander who was famously overlooked in four drafts before eventually finding his way to the Lions.

The Suns had priority access to him as a zone selection under their generous start-up rules, and their snubbing of the kid dominating for Broadbeach right under their noses, who would surely be captain now, ranks as the biggest mistake in the club’s turbulent history. Brisbane had also been guilty of oversight, but when Zorko starred for Queensland in a state game against Western Australia in Perth, that changed.

They went to the Suns and struck the deal that has delivered them a future Hall of Famer and winner of four Merret-Murray medals. “At the time, I was extremely disappointed,’’ Zorko has said of the snubbing. “Being a local boy, it was obviously my goal and I pretty much hung around Queensland football to give myself the best opportunity to be drafted by the Suns.’’

Skipper Dayne Zorko says Fagan restored trust to the Gabba and considers him the most significant figure in his career.

“Having that open door policy and building those relationships from the very first time we met was something that builds a lot of trust,’’ Zorko said. “I think what he has been able to do in such a short amount of time for this football club is remarkable. “Every time you go out there you want to succeed for the passion and the energy that he brings to the playing group, and myself and no one else wants to let him down. “I reckon the very first time we met the instant connection, was very significant.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Story and video on DailyMail (Aus) showing Daynes young son all done up in his footy clothes watching our game the other night and crying when Dayne missed a shot at goal..

Cute.....but how we felt too.

Merrett-Murray Medal 2020

Oscar McInerney produced his first top ten performance to finish fourth with 212 while the captain and four-time winner Dayne Zorko rounded out the top five with 206.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back