Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughly where is he ranked in the comp amongst forwards?

I can’t imagine it’d be that high given our average game score thus far

Not high. Like I prefaced with, it's not a big number. It's just a reasonable illustration of just how big a disaster our forward play is. Our team's highest as Mutineer corrects, Crouch, is equal 112nd in the league.

Not high. Like I prefaced with, it's not a big number. It's just a reasonable illustration of just how big a disaster our forward play is. Our team's highest as Mutineer corrects, Crouch, is equal 112nd in the league.
We're probably better off breaking it down to % due to how low our scores have been vs the rest of the comp. Then again, as someone pointed out elsewhere, Sholl kicked 25% of our goals last week and he got dropped so maybe not when we're hardly scoring at all.

We're probably better off breaking it down to % due to how low our scores have been vs the rest of the comp. Then again, as someone pointed out elsewhere, Sholl kicked 25% of our goals last week and he got dropped so maybe not when we're hardly scoring at all.
Feels like that’s just compartmentalising

Our (lack of) score involvements likely relate directly to our lack of even a B-grade offensive game plan

Dude needs to mark with his hands, should have had one mark for a shot on goal which he opted to try chest mark instead - allowing the defender to get a fist in.

Just feels like he's stuck as a player at this level. He's not tall enough, no speed, not agile - lace out on the lead and he will finish but we're unable to provide that kind of service and as a result, he really doesn't do anything.

Still best 22 and will have a couple of games here and there but doesn't seem like he'll take that next step to become a power forward that we hoped he'd become.

Mostly agree with that but Fogarty does have speed, especially considering his size. Maybe doesn't come across as quick as much as some players because he's not as agile as smaller guys, but sometimes you'll see him burn off a chaser with an impressive burst of pace.

But yeah, fairly disappointing start to the season again. Not alone of course.

He’s very, very out of form. Back to his 2020-21 days of not getting involved in the game at all

I think he’ll come good, but it needs to happen soon

Nah pretty sick of him at the moment, a forward that only gets near it when it’s on his own terms or left for him on a platter, don’t just say it’s poor delivery either as bar that period in the back half of 2022 it’s just been always how he plays as a forward, he is a gigantic luxury a team where the Crows are at can barely afford to have.

Not since Fraser Gehrig has a key forward just been allowed to get it served up to him consistently on a platter, the more he plays the more he reminds me of Kent Kingsley from Geelong in the early 2000s, a slightly undersized key forward who when Geelong could get a run on especially at Kardinia Park and get a lot of ball too him out on a lead he looked like a dominant goalkicker in the league but as soon as he was away from home or the supply level dropped he disappeared, was easy to defend and was no where to be seen in their losses.

I’d rather have a forward line in the future of Thilthorpe, N.Murray and one of Curtin or Welsh and see what’s the best offer for Fogarty on the market is. Could he come back to bite us and look dominant in a better team like a Geelong or Sydney? maybe, but as more time goes on it just doesn’t look like he going to ever reach any fully consistent levels that as a team that is trying to push up from the bottom 8 into the top 8 requires.

When old man Tex finally retires and stops keeping Nicks in a job they’ll need to find a consistent key forward that will kick at least 2 goals a week & not have periods like the start of this season where Fogarty kicks; 0, 2, 0, 2, 0 - you simply can’t be held goalless in 3 out of 5 games as a key forward.

His Last 22 games (a full season) he has kicked 25 goals and 22 behinds (He kicked 98.38 in his first 66 games).

This is the production level of Nick Gill (1.2 goals), Lewis Johnston (1.6 goals), Bryan Beinke (1.1 goals) and Ian Perrie (1.1 goals).

Nah pretty sick of him at the moment, a forward that only gets near it when it’s on his own terms or left for him on a platter, don’t just say it’s poor delivery either as bar that period in the back half of 2022 it’s just been always how he plays as a forward, he is a gigantic luxury a team where the Crows are at can barely afford to have.

Not since Fraser Gehrig has a key forward just been allowed to get it served up to him consistently on a platter, the more he plays the more he reminds me of Kent Kingsley from Geelong in the early 2000s, a slightly undersized key forward who when Geelong could get a run on especially at Kardinia Park and get a lot of ball too him out on a lead he looked like a dominant goalkicker in the league but as soon as he was away from home or the supply level dropped he disappeared, was easy to defend and was no where to be seen in their losses.

I’d rather have a forward line in the future of Thilthorpe, N.Murray and one of Curtin or Welsh and see what’s the best offer for Fogarty on the market is. Could he come back to bite us and look dominant in a better team like a Geelong or Sydney? maybe, but as more time goes on it just doesn’t look like he going to ever reach any fully consistent levels that as a team that is trying to push up from the bottom 8 into the top 8 requires.

When old man Tex finally retires and stops keeping Nicks in a job they’ll need to find a consistent key forward that will kick at least 2 goals a week & not have periods like the start of this season where Fogarty kicks; 0, 2, 0, 2, 0 - you simply can’t be held goalless in 3 out of 5 games as a key forward.
Would definitely be keen to get him on the trade table asap while he has value, obviously can’t do it against his will while in contract, but dude is a bust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems to be playing deeper this season than he was the last couple of years which IMO really exposes his weaknesses. When he pushes up the ground he gets better space and time and value for his touches.

He’ll never become the No. 1 forward but should still become a solid 2-3rd option, but it’s frustrating that they don’t play to his strengths more, but this is true of most of our team.

He seems to be playing deeper this season than he was the last couple of years which IMO really exposes his weaknesses. When he pushes up the ground he gets better space and time and value for his touches.

He’ll never become the No. 1 forward but should still become a solid 2-3rd option, but it’s frustrating that they don’t play to his strengths more, but this is true of most of our team.
Agree with this

He's a good user of the football. The more he can get involved in build up play the better.

Needs more ways of getting the ball than just lead-mark in the F50, because those opportunities are few and far between.

Sitting deeper because no Thilthorpe maybe? Disappointing that he's allowed some one-on-one intercept marks against him this season too.

Last edited:
Dude needs to mark with his hands, should have had one mark for a shot on goal which he opted to try chest mark instead - allowing the defender to get a fist in.

Just feels like he's stuck as a player at this level. He's not tall enough, no speed, not agile - lace out on the lead and he will finish but we're unable to provide that kind of service and as a result, he really doesn't do anything.

Still best 22 and will have a couple of games here and there but doesn't seem like he'll take that next step to become a power forward that we hoped he'd become.
Simply just needs to put his arms out in front. We learned that in juniors. Meet the ball at it’s furthest point and it nullifies being spoiled.

I'm keeping the faith in him.
If he held onto some of those marks he would have had a reasonable game.
But he has been very disappointing so far this season, hopefully he can get out of his funk soon
It has been very tough work this season being a forward with the way we have moved the ball.
He'll come good

I'm keeping the faith in him.
If he held onto some of those marks he would have had a reasonable game.
But he has been very disappointing so far this season, hopefully he can get out of his funk soon
It has been very tough work this season being a forward with the way we have moved the ball.
He'll come good

But what about his efforts since exactly one year ago.

Its not just the first 5 games of 2024, its the last games 17 games of 2023 as well.

He's definitely in a funk at the moment, but my god we don't make it easy for him.

Great example last night. Ball coming in, Fog (top left off screen) points to the pocket where he wants the kick - where he has clear space to work into and an advantage over his defender. Instead, it goes to the goal square, in the opposite direction that Fog was going and exactly where his defender moving towards.

This sort of shit happens so many times every game.

SmartSelect_20240414_085349_Chrome.gif

He's definitely in a funk at the moment, but my god we don't make it easy for him.

Great example last night. Ball coming in, Fog (top left off screen) points to the pocket where he wants the kick - where he has clear space to work into and an advantage over his defender. Instead, it goes to the goal square, in the opposite direction that Fog was going and exactly where his defender moving towards.

This sort of s**t happens so many times every game.

View attachment 1958922

Fog is a leading forward. But he really is not a natural forward. Thats why he is failing to really impact games with his size. I think he may excell where Tex is playing. A lead up roaming CHF.

View attachment 1958922
Can’t remember the player but there was another example on a lead and it was a scrubber kick to him. Plus a lot of the clean ball gets directed towards Tex. Would be interesting to see the stats for go to entries.

Fog is a leading forward. But he really is not a natural forward. Thats why he is failing to really impact games with his size. I think he may excell where Tex is playing. A lead up roaming CHF.
We made it work for years with Lynch and Tex both leading up the ground then working back to goal, we should still be looking at a similar structure with Fog and Tex.

We made it work for years with Lynch and Tex both leading up the ground then working back to goal, we should still be looking at a similar structure with Fog and Tex.

the issue with fog being a solid player and not the most athletic is defenders can account for him relatively easily. I would try and get him away from goal where he can use his footy iq and skill and where he can get out on his own into open space. Like a Lynch type linking player.

View attachment 1958922

But for everyone of those - go to the 4th quarter - 8:33 to go.

Carlton have just kicked their third straight and have a 16 point lead. Rob wins a free kick and handballs to Rankine who kicks to a leading FOG in the forward pocket. It hits FOGs hands and bounces off like they are made of cement.

Good players excel despite circumstances. There comes a time when it can't be the 4,000 excuses listed on this thread.

Back